Running Wild in the Night

Sleight Out of Hand

Nikki's POV

"I hate getting my picture taken," I whined as my aunt, uncle, Jimmy, and Brian's parents started fussing about taking our pictures.

I really have no clue why Jimmy was fussing; I guess it’s because Ihardly never wear a dress. I hate dresses but whatever. I guess whatever floats Jimmy's boat is fine with me.

"You look beautiful though," Brian muttered as he wrapped his arm around my waist; another pose for another picture.

That just made me blush. Oh, what this guy does to me.

After what felt like forever of pictures, I walked out of the house with Brian. He jogged ahead of me so he could open my door. A smile was plastered on his face as I thanked him.

"No problem, Nikki," he said, getting in the driver's side.

"So, how's your day been," Brian asked after ten minutes of silence.

I glanced at him, confused, but something told me he was just trying to end the silence. It was adorable but a bit weird, but hey, I guess that's how it works in "Brian-land."

"Fine, Val kidnapped me," I said, finally answering him.

"Really? Well, you look beautiful if that's any consolation to you."

"Yeah, it is," I muttered, looking at my lap.

Brian's POV

There's just something about Nikki that makes her different, makes her stand out in front of all the other girls in Huntington Beach. No, it’s not the fact that she wasn't even born in Huntington and was born in Van Nuys. And no, it’s not the fact that she is a recovering heroin addict. Nikki's just.......different.

Different in a good way.

She's smart, artistic, and apparently athletic; all the qualities I'd like in a girl. And she likes the simple things. Hell, there are so many girls that I've dated that are prissy and clingy. They want the world and more. With Nikki, she'll want a hug and she's happy. If I could give her anything, she'd want to just take a walk on the beach and hang out.

What did I do to deserve an amazing girl like her?

"So what do you want to do," I asked as we walked into the building.

Nikki shrugged and looked around. Everyone was dancing and our presence didn't even stir a ripple. A few people noticed us and those were our friends. Val and Matt walked towards us, surprised at how amazing Nikki looked in a "fucking dress," as Nikki likes to call it.

"Holy shit! Nikki, you look amazing," Val said, hugging her.

"Really?"

"Duh, you got the attention of the majority of the male population on you," Matt said, pointing behind him.

It seemed like every guy's eyes were on my girl, eyeing her and surveying her body. That pissed me off so I wrapped my arm around Nikki's small waist. She looked up at me, a questioning look on her face.

"Matt's right. Every guy is staring at you," I muttered.

She nodded as she just placed her head against my chest; a favorite position of her's. Val pulled a camera from her purse and took a picture, right before Nikki or I could do anything about it.

"Aw, you guys are so fucking adorable," Val said, looking at the screen.

Matt grabbed it and smirked, "Oh big bag Synyster Gates has a girl that has a hold on him!"

I rolled my eyes as Nikki just cocked her head, totally confused.

"You all are weird," she said, rolling her eyes.

She was about ready to say something else when something caught her eye. A mischievous twinkle was in them as she said, "Brian, can we play cards?"

I looked over to the halls to see poker tables set up. I really didn't want to but Nikki was about ready to give me "the look." You know, that puppy dog face that you just can't say no to? Nikki's got it and she's mastered it.

"Fine, but only for a couple of minutes," I said, giving in, "I don't want to lose any money."

"That's fine. I'll use my money!"

Oh what have I done?

Nikki's POV

"Another win for Ms. McCade," the dealer said as she handed me my clips.

There's a reason why I wanted to play some poker and that's because I'm good. Aside from stealing money from my father, how else did I pay for my heroin?

Brian sat behind me as did Val and Jimmy's date. The guys sat next to me, but they were out, I beat their asses awhile ago. The only reason they still sat near me was because more guys kept showing up. By the way that Brian looked at them, I knew he wasn't happy about that but he didn't say anything. He just let me go on my winning streak.

"Damn, Nikki, you have a couple grand in your pile of chips," Johnny said.

I rolled my eyes. Its not like I'm going to get the money, I'm going to get some other prize instead for being a kick ass poker player. Oh well, one of the prizes is a $100 gift certificate to Borders and I do love books.

"How'd you get so good," Zacky asked, watching as I raked in another win.

"You want the truth or the lie," I asked, watching the dealer hand me my cards.

"Is the truth bad?"

I glanced at Jimmy and simply asked, "How do you think I was able to chase dragons aside from stealing from my dad."

"Damn, well, at least you're sober now," Matt said.

"Deal me in."

We all looked up to see Nathan Stillwell walking towards us. He handed the dealer some chips for antes. Brian growled as I narrowed my eyes, letting the clips fall out my hand in a pile.

"Aw, still bitter, Haner," Nathan taunted.

Brian growled but stopped when I put my hand on his arm, shooting him a look that simply asked to let me deal with it. He nodded and relaxed, still keeping an eye on Nathan.

"How about a little side bet, Nikki," Nathan said before he picked up his cards.

"Don't call me 'Nikki'. You're not one of my friends and I hate you," I growled, narrowing my eyes.

"How about, if I win, you have to come home with me. You win, I'll leave you, Haner, and your entire posse alone."

"Deal," I said, without looking at my cards.

Brian's POV

I think I stop breathing when Nikki said that word. We all shot her a look as a small smirk crept onto her lips.

"Nikki, don't," Val whispered.

"It’s not worth it, just walk away."

"Don't do it, Nikki."

"Let me handle it," Nikki said, looking at her cards.

An eyebrow raised as she saw her cards. I wanted to see what they were but she had them close to the table. I was scared that Nikki had just done something stupid. Of course I didn't want her going with Stillwell but she said the final word, sealing the deal. If Nikki loses, I know damn well he's going to try and get in her pants.

The dealer laid down the first three cards: the jack of spades, the ten of spades, and a two of hearts. A smirk formed on Stillwell's face as he laid down more chips. Nikki just glanced at him, her face showing no emotion, and laid down the same about of chips he did.

The jack of hearts came down and that smirk on Stillwell's face got even bigger. "Oh, you're going to enjoy my company, Nikki," he said, putting in more chips.

"I said not to call me 'Nikki,' cock-sucker," Nikki retorted as she put more chips in.

The final card was the king of spades. Nikki did nothing as Stillwell put in the remainder of his chips, calling, "All in."

Nikki smirked as she pushed in her chips. "Same here," she said.

"Full house. Three Jacks and two tens," Stillwell said, revealing his cards, "You can't beat that so get ready for a night of fun."

A small laugh came from Nikki as she looked at me. I saw a smile on her lips as she started to full blown laugh. Val, Matt, and I stared at her confused. Jimmy had his jaw open while Zacky and Johnny just stared at her.

"Why are you laughing," Zacky asked, confused.

"I would need a really good hand to beat his," Nikki said, still laughing.

"Yeah, you do, what do you have," Stillwell said, his eyes narrowing.

Nikki looked at him and smirked, turning over her two cards. "A royal flush, Stillwell."

My jaw dropped when I saw her cards. The ace of spades and the queen of spades. With those two plus the ten, jack, and king of spades, Nikki had herself the ultimate hand. I started laughing as Stillwell's face starting turning red. He was getting mad at himself for losing to a girl, one that's already made a mockery of him before.

"Sorry, Stillwell, I'm sticking with my man," she said, getting up.

I laughed as we all got up, Nikki giving me a kiss on the check. "See you had nothing to worry about, silly," she said, smiling.

"I can't help it, I didn't want to lose my girl," I said as we started heading out of the room.

She was about ready to say something when Stillwell grabbed her wrist. "I don't like to lose," he said, still made.

"And I don't like it when people grab me," Nikki said, throwing her other hand back and punching him straight in the eye.

He fell backwards into the fountain and everyone stopped to laugh at him. A smirk was on Nikki's face as we all started to conform and laugh.

"Damn, Nikki, remind me to never play poker against you," Jimmy said as we walked back to where everyone was dancing.

I looked at Nikki and smiled. "I gots a card shark for a girl."