Running Wild in the Night

Remember The Time

Still Brian's POV

The trip to the hospital was dead silent. Even the radio was turned off. Just silence filled the car as we headed to our destination. No one talked or had anything to say. Matt was driving because Jimmy was in too much of shock to do anything. I couldn't do anything either. Nikki was in the hospital. The girl that I'm totally in love with is in the hospital. Those two thoughts kept repeating in my head.

I'm scared. I honestly am scared........scared that every possible worst case scenario happened to Nikki.

A sigh escaped as I stared out the window, thinking about every time I had with her.

"You okay up there," I asked as I walked up Jimmy's driveway.

Nikki was sitting on the roof and was just staring off at the sky. She seemed to be lost in her thoughts. Yes, she was extremely skinny but there was just something about her. Even then, Nikki was an attractive person.


We got to the hospital and sat in the waiting room. I hated hospitals; everything about them was so goddamn depressing. Sure there were few good things, such as births, but sickness and death was all around.

"Now we wait, I guess," Val said as she walked towards us, handing each of us a cup of coffee.

I just stared at the brown liquid, thinking again.

"I know you're awake."

Nikki finally opened her eyes and looked at me. She just lay on that hospital bed; wires connect to her arms, totally emotion-less. The only thing I could see was how miserable Nikki was. She had gone through hell and now had to re-live something a life that she probably wanted to forget.

"Why are you here," she asked, her voice reduced to a whisper.

"You freaked out," I replied, my eyes still glued to her.

"I know that but why are you here?"

"I was worried. Everyone was worried and they're all here, too. We all switch off staying with you while everyone else is getting something to eat. They're supposed to bring me back something," I replied, "You know, this is the most I've heard you speak."

I smiled at her and she just looked at me.


"Which one of you is Jimmy Sullivan," a nursed asked as she walked towards us.

Jimmy got up and raised his hand, "I am."

"Well......"

Jimmy and I walked into his house after school. We had band practice but Jimmy didn't want to leave his cousin in his house by herself. Hell, I didn't want to leave her alone either. We found her sitting in their kitchen, staring at an unfinished painting. Nikki didn't even acknowledge our presence; all her attention was at that painting.

It was the first painting, other than the one in the Sullivan's living room, that I've seen of her's. Even unfinished, it was amazing.


"Your father is fine. The only damage is to his leg, which is broken," the nurse said.

"What about Nikki?"

"Nikki never came home."

I remember that day. Nikki ran off and never came home. She ran off because I kissed her and made out with my then girlfriend in front of her the next day. She disappeared and I knew it was my god damn fault.

"Do you think she's back to chasing dragons," Matt asked.

I was scared Nikki was doing exactly that.

"She's overdosed," Danni Morrison sobbed as she slid down the wall.

I punched the wall, resulting in only giving me bloody knuckles. Nikki was dead because of me. I confuse her, hurt her, and cause her to run away. Now I could never tell her how sorry I was, she was dead. Nikki was dead and it was my fault. I killed Nicole Storm McCade.

A groan came from the dumpster Danni dumped her body in. The lid came flying open and our eyes widened as Nikki slowly pulled herself out. Danni screamed as Nikki's dark eyes shifted towards her. Those usually amazingly beautiful green eyes were now blood shot and dark circles framed them. Her lips blue as her voice said, "Jimmy's going to kill me."

Her bloodshot eyes widened as she turned to look at us, realizing that we all were here. "I'm sorry, Jimmy. I'm sorry I'm a fucking fuck-up who can't do anything right and all that I want is a stupid thing that's going to kill me," Nikki said, tears starting to form.

That was the first time I saw Nikki cry.


"She still in a critical condition. Most of the damage was from her waist up," the nurse said with no emotion.

I closed my eyes. The upper body was where the two most important organs are: the brain and the heart.

"And......"

"What did you just say," Nikki asked as we watched Fight Club.

"I said you have a pretty smile," was my response.

"Will you be my girlfriend, Nikki?"

"Alright."


"With surgery, she'll be fine but as of right now, she hasn't woken up."

"Don't you dare call me that, you fucking male slut. I went through more shit then you will in a lifetime. And don't you dare insult Brian either. You do and realize this: I'm not afraid to make sure that you have your lungs ripped out, you're skinless, and your six feet under. I will cut your balls off with a chainsaw and force them down your mouth, jackass. I will make you wish you never were born," she whispered in a menacing voice as she pinned Stillwell to the lockers.

I sighed as I kissed her forehead. "I have a girl that can stand up for herself and can strike fear in anyone."


"Alright. Can we visit her," Jimmy asked.

"Only family can visit at this time," the nurse answered.

"You're drawing me," I asked, my jaw dropped, when I saw the last drawing she was working in her sketchbook.

Nikki mumbled something as she stared the ground.

"You are too damn amazing."


"These people are family. Sure we're not blood but we're like a family. Hell," Jimmy yelled as he pointed towards me, "That's her fucking boyfriend. We've gone through hell, all of us, together and there is no fucking way I'm letting you not let my damn friends in!"

We all smiled as Jimmy went on a loud, screaming tangent. Telling the nurse every god damn good reason for us to go with him.

I walked over and helped Nikki put her necklace around her neck. It made her look even more beautiful. The way the emerald matched her eyes........ It just made them stood out even more. The green against her pale skin, drawing all attention to her eyes.

My jaw dropped as I saw her. Nikki wore black and purple dress that tied around her neck, revealing some of her back, and complementing some of her curves. The end of the dress dragged behind her as she walked down the stairs. Her hair was down and the ends were curled, giving her an elegant look. I smiled as I saw the necklace around her neck. When she got to the landing, Nikki looked at me, cocking her head. She had some make-up on but it wasn't much and she still looked amazing.

I smiled as she took the flowers. God, she has never looked so good........ .


"Alright," the nurse finally said when Jimmy calmed down.

"Good," was all Jimmy said.

We followed her as she lead us up to Nikki's room. When she opened it, we saw Jimmy's dad, sitting in a wheel chair with his right leg in a cast, his mom standing next to him and Nikki's grandparents. Cody looked at Nikki and said, "We'll pay for medical bills......both of yours."

"Oh you don't have to," Jimmy's mom started but Julia held up a hand.

"You took care of Nikki. She's smiling again because of you. You and that boy that she's madly in love with," Julia said, looking at me.

I couldn't help but smile at what Julia said. I helped and Nikki was happy. I helped make her happy.

I took the chair next to Nikki's bed, taking her hand in mine. Her eyes were closed as she was lost in the thoughts of her dreams. It made me feel miserable just seeing all these wires connecting her to several machines. The only thing that made me feel a bit happy was seeing that her heart was still beating at a constant rate.

"Brian, stay here real quick. We're going to get food," Jimmy said.

I looked at him and nodded, "Just bring me back something."

He nodded and he, along with everyone else, turned to leave. I watched Nikki's blank face, rubbing my thumb against her's.

I woke up the next morning, looking at the most beautiful sight in the world. Nikki was still sleeping, her perfect naked body curled up against my own bare flesh. She took deep, silent breaths as she let herself get lost in her own dreams. I ran my fingers down the smooth skin of her arm, thinking about everything.

Well............

She's so fucking beautiful, sweet, smart, and every other god damn thing I could ever love in a girl. She's gone through Hell and still is so fucking amazing. I don't know how anyone that could go through the things Nikki did and still remain so nice. Thinking about every damn thing she went through, I have to admire Nikki. She practically died but lived to tell her tragic tale.

I love this girl.


Her hand twitched in mine as she groaned.

"Brian?"

I blinked as my eyes immediately turn to see Nikki looking at me. She looked still sleepy and bruised but there was a small smile on her lips. Trying to be the tough guy, I tried to not let the tears fall. It felt like everything was brightening up in my world.

"What were you doing," Nikki asked as she blinked a couple times.

"Remembering all the times I had with you."

Her smile got bigger as she sighed. "I love you."

"I love you too," I whispered as everyone else came in.