Running Wild in the Night

Are You Ready?

Nikki's POV

"So, power is volts times amps. P=VI," I said as I laid inmy the hospital bed.

I promised Brian that I would help tutor him and I'll be damned if I don't. He's gone through so much with me and I want to help him in any way I could. That's part of the reason he skipped school; we both decided that it would be smart if we took a day to do some serious tutoring sessions. I'm going into surgery tomorrow so we took the opportunity today.

"Why is 'I' amps? That makes no sense," Brian muttered as he wrote the equation down.

A small smile crept onto my lips as I watched him work out the problem. By noon, we had gone through his math and we were doing his physics, English was last. After a couple of hours of work, Brian finally got what he was doing and I was really proud. I wanted to give him a hug but instead, he gave me a hug. Brian would often scowl at me every time I did a lot of motion. Apparently, I'm not supposed to do a lot of motion. That just pissed me off.

"So what is the problem in English," I asked as a nurse came in with two bowls of ice cream.

"I have a senior paper to write and I'm totally stumped on it."

I reached for a bowl and Brian just handed it to me. "You're doing Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas right?"

He nodded as he punched in the numbers in his calculator, "Yeah and I don't know what to write about."

"Write about the 'American Dream' or drugs. I did that book and I wrote my paper over those two topics. Actually, mainly, what the 'American Dream' is and how the drugs helped 'achieved' that in a way."

Brian looked up from his physics book and stared straight at me. "Can you help me with that?"

I nodded as I took a bite of my ice cream, "Of course I can and I will if you want me too."

He just nodded as I smiled. "You're lucky that I love you, Brian."

"I know I am," he said, getting back to his work, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Are you scared?"

I looked at him as I ate a spoonful of my ice cream. I don't get brain freeze so my brain was still working, but, I knew he what he was talking about. I didn't know if I was scared. Hell, I didn't know what I felt about my upcoming surgery. "You know, Bri, I actually haven't given it much thought," I said, honestly.

"Really," he asked, placing his elbows on my bed and putting his face in his hands.

I nodded and bit my lower lip. Brian just took one of my hands in his and stroked his thumb against mine. I just watched him and for some reason, I felt relaxed. I was content with life and that's a rare thing. I don't know how he does it but Brian Elwin Haner Jr does something to me that makes me realize that there are people that actually do care about me.

"Yes, really. I try to not think about it."

"Then you're brave. That would be on my mind all the time," Brian said, looking straight at my face.

I just smiled and said, "I'll be fine, I know I will."

Brian's POV

Would it be wrong to say that I am still scared about Nikki's surgery? That I'm worried as hell that something might go wrong? I'd like to think not. Sure everyone tells me that she's going to be okay; even Nikki tells me that she's going to be okay but for some reason, I'm still scared. Every worst possible thing that could happen will take place in my head, freaking me out even more.

As soon as I got home, I immediately headed to my room, falling face first into my bed. My door opened a couple minutes later and I heard my dad's voice call, "Brian, are you okay?"

"Yes," I mumbled into the pillow.

"You don't sound like it."

"I'm just scared for Nikki. She's not scared but I am."

My dad smiled as he placed a hand on my shoulder. "Nikki's one tough cookie who wouldn't dare give up. If she has to, she'll fight and I know she'll win. Look, she wouldn't dare leave you either. You two are totally in love with each other and I don't think she'd want to make you miserable."

I looked at him and thought about what he said. He walked out the door, leaving me to my thoughts. My dad's right, though. Nikki wouldn't leave. With that I fell asleep.

"Damnit, what the fuck is that," I mumbled as I lifted my head from my pillow.

I saw that my cell phone was ringing so I reached over to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Brian," came Nikki's voice.

I sat up, thinking that there was something wrong.

"Did I wake you," she asked.

"Yeah but that's okay. What's up?"

She sighed before she answered, "I'm scared. Brian, for the first time, I'm scared."

"Don't be," I said, trying to soothe her.

"Brian, I'm scared," she said, starting to cry.

It hurt me hearing how scared she was. After all this time, she finally got scared and I wished I could be there for her. Nikki is the most important thing to me. I don't like to see her cry and hearing her cry was just as painful.

"You'll be okay. I know you will. You're stronger than any person I know; both mentally and physically. You'll be fine, Nikki."

"I will?"

"You will. You're an amazing girl, Nikki, and I love you for it," I said, trying to make her laugh.

"I love you too, Brian," she whispered.

"Don't worry. I'll visit you when I can when you're in Van Nuys. And I'll bring churros."

She laughed a bit because I mentioned one of her favorite foods in the world. "Why are you so good to me, Brian?"

"You deserve soon that loves you and I love you. More than anything."

"More than your guitar?"

"Yup."

"More than your fedora?"

"Well...." I started, jokingly, "More than anything, Nikki. You mean the world to me."

Something told me she was smiling because her tone got so much more happier. "Really?"

"Yup. I want to make you happy."

"You always make me happy, Brian."

I smiled because that made me feel so good inside. Oh what this girl does to me.

"You make me happy, Nikki," I said, repeating her words.

Nikki laughed as she sighed. "It's almost one."

I looked at the clock and nodded, "That's correct. You better get some sleep, Nikki. Alright?"

"Alright. Loves you," she said, yawning.

"Love you too," I replied.

We both hung up and I laid back down in my bed, staring at the clock. Nikki was going into surgery first thing and that was six hours away. After talking to her, I realized something.

"Okay, I'm ready to trust her and believe that she'll be alright," I said, yawning and soon, falling asleep.

She's going to be alright. Nicole Storm McCade is going to be alright. I know she will.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short part but at least I updated