Running Wild in the Night

How Far I've Come

Still Brian's POV

"Nikki," I called, walking into her room.

She looked at me as she packed. I saw that she had multiple bags out and I knew she was packing her stuff for college. My Nikki was leaving before me; Nikki was leaving tomorrow.

"Yes," she answered, glancing at me as she folded one of her hoodies.

"This is not cool," I said, wrapping my arms around her small waist, "You're leaving tomorrow."

She sighed as she bit her lower lip, "I know, its not my fault."

I took a deep breath as I inhaled her sent, burying my nose in her soft hair. Nikki smelled like strawberries and rain. I figured that she had sat outside in the rain earlier. Nikki was odd and enjoyed doing odd things like that. It was my absolute favorite scent in the world.

"So, are you staying at the dorms," I asked, my eyes glancing at the painting she's been working on but keeps covered.

"No."

"You're coming back to Huntington every night?"

"No."

"What are you doing then," I asked, now confused.

"My grandparents have a place in Los Angeles that they use for vacations and said I could stay there instead of staying in the dorms," she replied, folding another hoodie.

"Really? That's nice of them. I'll have to visit you," I said, thinking that her grandparents have to be amazing.

"They said that if you want to, you can move in with me," Nikki said in a casual tone as she placed that hoodie she was folding into one of her bags, "They like you and asked if you'd like to do that."

"Seriously? Tell your grandparents that I love them."

Nikki laughed as she nodded, "Sure thing."

"So Brian," Matt asked as we ended practice, "Nikki's leaving tomorrow."

"I know," I answered, thinking about food.

What? I'm hungry!

"How do you feel about her living at the dorms," Zacky asked.

"She's not living at the dorms."

"What," Val asked, cocking her head to the side.

"Yeah," Jimmy replied, "Her grandparents own a house in Los Angeles that they use for vacationing and they're leaving it to Nikki so that she doesn't have to stay at the dorms."

"Oh that's cool."

Jimmy smirked as he bit his lower lip, a habit I recognized as Nikki's. "Her grandparents are allowing Brian to stay at their place as well."

Everyone looked at me, shocked. They, as well as I was, was concerned for Nikki being somewhere without any of us. Sure, she's done so well but we were worried that she would have a relapse. There was no pattern of relapses for anyone; they would just happen. It could take a couple months or years, Nikki could relapse and none of us would now. And that's what scared us.

Now that I think about it, maybe that's why her grandparents offered me to stay there. I was close with their prized granddaughther and Nikki's the love of my life. Maybe Cody and Julia McCade knew that I'd do anything for her.

"Yeah," I muttered, packing up my guitar.

"Wow, they must really like you," Zacky said, thinking out loud.

Nikki's POV

I sighed as I looked at all my stuff. Things were packed and ready for tomorrow. Orientation at UCLA then I move into the McCade vacation house. It felt weird. Last time I was packing was because I was now being sent to live with my aunt and uncle. Now, I'm going out on my own. Shocking.

Velkan looked at me as he hopped onto my bed. I didn't bother me that he did that; I was used to it. I smiled as I rubbed his ears, thinking about all the times when he was still a little puppy. Months passed and he's near full grown. I guess now I don't have to worry about a security system. I got me a big rotweiller to watch the house.

And there's the fact that Brian might be moving in with me. I was excited for that. Just being with him was one of my favorite things in the world so doing this would probably be amazing. He's going to MI for music and I'm going to UCLA for something.

I'm going in as undeclared at the moment.

I bit my lower lip as my eyes shifted towards my painting. It was going to be one of five that when put together in a row showed one big picture. Five because it can go to each one of the guys. I got something already in the works for Val so she gets her own little thing but the guys get something that they can put together. My thank you to them for being so supportive of me.

Sadly, I was only done with one and was working on another. Oh well, I guess when the time is right, then they'll get their paintings.

"Knock, knock," Jimmy said, as he walked into my room.

I turned around as I covered the painting with a table cloth I stole from my aunt. "Yeah?"

"My cousin's leaving me."

"Just on weekdays, Jimmy," I said, sitting next to my dog, "I'll be back on weekends."

He sighed as he sat down on the chair, looking at me. "I'm really glad you met Brian, Coley."

"Why?"

"I don't think you'd be where you are without him."

I laughed, "Tash said the same thing."

"She's right, though," Jimmy said, "And you guys are abso-fucking-lutely perfect for one another."

I smiled as I pulled my knees to my chest and hugged my legs. Brian is the best thing that's happened to me. He showed people are not assholes, like my father, and that there are people that actually do give a rat's ass about me outside of my family. Without Brian, I seriously believe that I'd be in rehab suffering from one of many relapses or dead.

I'm honestly amazed at how far I came. Heroin addict who's only love was for heroin itself and who was heading down a spiralling depression ending on suicide or overdose to what I am today. I'm a person who actually sees life now and lives it. I don't need heroin, or any other drug for that matter, to turn to for help. I have friends and family.....and an amazing boyfriend who really does care about me.

Looking back, I think about my life then and see it as a horrible nightmare that I don't want to remember....that I want gone away from my memories. I'm amazed to see where I am today. I'm happy. Something I've never thought possible before has taken place. I'm actually happy. I want to live to see tomorrow and the day after and the day after that.

I smiled as I looked at Jimmy who cocked his head to the side. "What," he asked, confused with my action.

"Look how far I've come, Jimmy," I said, "I feel like my old self."

Jimmy smiled as he walked over and ruffled my hair. "And I'm so proud of you, Nikki. You've gone so far from being a heroin addict to where you are today."

I've gone far.
♠ ♠ ♠
Check out the post, Need Advice People, on my journals. I need a bit of help and my readers can help with that part.