Running Wild in the Night

I Never Meant to Hurt You

Nikki's POV

I sat on the sidewalk, staring at the street. Yes, I moved from a sheltered bench to the sidewalk. I had no motivation to go back inside, even if it did start raining, which it did. After being stuck with your on loneliness for company, you begin to just want no one with you and that's how I am. I don't need anyone nor do I want anyone. I'm quite content with being on my own.

After all, I was on my own for so long that I prefer things that way. Then I have no one to get attracted to or blame.

"You know its raining."

I turned to see Brian sitting down next to me, holding an umbrella over my head. I was seriously beginning to wonder why I wasn’t getting wet. My response was to shrug. "You should come inside, Nikki. I don't want you getting sick."

"Would it matter if I got sick?"

"It would. Besides, McKenna's taken a liking towards you."

"She's adorable."

Brian nodded and just sat there with me. I just ignored him and let myself get lost in my thoughts.

Its been a year since I chased the dragon. A year......and I'm still in pain. I don't sleep, I'm restless, angry.......and no one knows. I'm able to keep the pain hidden; I don't need anyone worrying over me. Do I need heroin? Yes, its my love.......my only love.

Brian's POV

Nikki didn't say anything and I looked at her. I saw that she was staring out at the street, lost in her own thoughts. I wondered what she was thinking about. Then again, I always was curious of what heroin addicts think about when they've been clean for a good amount of time.

"Penny for your thoughts," I asked.

"Too bad," she said, continuing to stare at the street.

I don't know what possessed me to do what I did, but I did. I placed my hand on the side of her face and gently turned it so it was facing me. Nikki looked at me, a bit in shock, as she was about ready to ask me what I was doing. Instead, I cut her off by pressing my lips onto her's.

Yes, I kissed her.

It took her a moment before she pulled away and stood up. "Tell Jimmy I went home."

With that, she took off running before I had a chance to say anything.

"Where's Nikki," Jimmy asked as I walked back in my house.

"She told me to tell you that she went home."

"Its raining! Why didn't she just tell me that she wanted to go home?"

Because I kissed her and she doesn't want to be anywhere near me. "I don't know," I said, lying.

Too bad Jimmy's been my best friend since junior high. He narrowed his eyes and said, "Hey, Brian, can you help me pack up my drums."

I nodded and knew that he wanted to talk to me alone.

When we got downstairs, he closed the door behind me and asked, "What did you do to my cousin."

"I kissed her."

Jimmy stared wide-eyed at me and yelled, "Dude! You have a girlfriend! How could you forget that little fact?"

"I know but there's something about Nikki that made me forget about Janene."

Nikki's POV

I immediately got to my room as soon as I came into the house. It didn't matter to me if my clothes were still wet, there was something bothering me.

Why did Brian kiss me? I don't know.

The only thing I knew was that I needed to look for a number of a friend of mine.

I founded it and grabbed the phone. It was one of my friends in Colorado and he knew some people in California that could help me out. "Hello?"

"Morgan, its Nikki. Do you know some people in Huntington Beach or LA that can help me out?"

"Thought you'd never ask, sweetheart," he replied and soon I had the addresses and numbers I needed.

Somehow, I got dragged into going to Jimmy's band practice again and this time it was at Zacky's place. I got into his car and just sat there as he loaded up his stuff. "I know Brian kissed you," he said getting in.

I looked at him and narrowed my eyes. "And I feel like an idiot for doing so."

"I know he's my best friend and all but don't get attached to him, Nikki. I want to protect you and that's the only way I can."

"I know, Jimmy. I have other things to occupy my mind," I said, staring out the window.

Jimmy's POV

I glanced at Nikki a couple of times, studying her. Something told me that she likes Brian but I know damn well that she won't admit it. I wouldn't mind the two of them but he has a slut girlfriend.

Despite all of this, I know that there's something else, eating away at her. Does it scare me? Of course it fucking does. I don't know what could be wrong with her but either way, I know there's something wrong with Nikki.

Nikki's POV

Do I like Brian? I don't know. Part of me only sees him as Jimmy's friend while the other part.........I don't know anymore. I think I do but I don't know. I think I do, actually.

When we got to Zacky's driveway, Jimmy told me to go ahead and tell everyone that he was unloading his stuff. I did was I was told and rang the doorbell. Val answered and hugged me. "Hi, Nikki! I didn't see much of you yesterday."

"I had to get home."

"Oh, alright," she said, knowing full well that I was lying.

But she let it go.

The two of us walked down to the basement and I stopped in my tracks. There was Brian making out with some girl. Right when I figured that I did like him.

That didn't stop me from bolting up the stairs and out the door. Jimmy looked at me and asked, "What happened."

"I'm leaving," I said, running down the streets.

I heard Brian yelled, "Nikki come back!"

That didn't stop me either. I ran to the park and pulled out the list of numbers that Morgan gave me and found a pay found. I pushed some money called one of the numbers. "Hello?"

"Is this Danni?"

"Yeah....who's this."

"I'm Nikki, I guess you could call me a friend of Morgan's."

"Ah yes, Morgan told me about you. Let me guess, you need a fix?"

"You read my mind. What's the chance of you getting me from here."

"Anything for a friend of Morgan's."

Brian's POV

Jimmy instantly walked towards me and yelled, "You know, she likes you! I know she does and you ruined it."

"I like her too, Jimmy! But how can I tell that to someone who rather be alone and waste her life? Tell me! I never meant to fucking hurt her, Jimmy! I like her too damn much to do that," I yelled back, walking out the door.

I stood on front porch and stared at the direction that she took off. I really did hurt her and I knew it. "I never meant to hurt you, Nikki."