Katherine Wheel

Katherine Wheel

Image

I never thought I would warm up as the icy wind blew my hair in every direction and my jacket flapped that I was so desperately trying to tighten around my chest to keep the chill out. That was I until I stepped into the warmth of the club on New Years Eve, in Helsinki, Finland.

After inheriting some money, I decided to go on holiday during the winter vacation to Europe. I can remember as a small child how my grandmother told me tales and folklores from a place called Finland, and I decided I would one day visit that odd, but interesting place and I finally got the chance to. It was as bitterly cold as my grandmother described but the hospitality from the locals was warm and comforting. Christmas was magical with all the lights set up and twinkling against the snow, and Christmas cheer filled the streets. To say I had a splendid time in Finland was an understatement and I was yet to know how it would change my life forever.

I had always looked forward to New Years Eve because it always meant a new beginning, if was a time to try and start over, to make right of the wrongs and most of all to have fun and bring in the new year on a high with possibilities. I dressed up in my hotel room, just a pair of jeans, top, boots and coat and although I applied make-up and curled my hair I didn’t put too much effort into it since I only wanted to have fun and was not out to impress anyone.

As I stepped into the club I noticed how full it was and the heat was almost overpowering. I could smell beer, smoke and a tinge of sweat clung in the air but I was too cold to even put a foot out the door again and the band that was playing didn’t seem bad at all. I ordered a drink from the crowded bar and tired to peer through the crowd at the singer whose smooth voice filled my ears but at my short height I was unable to get more than the top of his head in my sights. The crowed seemed to love the band too. They cheered and shouted with enthusiasm and sang along to the band. Needless to say I was bumped a few times, got some elbows shoved into my ribcage and sustained a hurt toe or two but I had fun and even though I couldn’t understand the language, but for a few simple words I had picked up, I wouldn’t have changed my trip or that night for all the money in the world.

When the band left the stage I glanced at my watch and decided I could stay the half hour till midnight. A different band started playing on the stage and I assumed they would be counting down the minutes for New Years and although I preferred the pervious bands songs, the band wasn’t that bad. I had to use the ladies bathroom before the golden hour arrived and I kindly asked for directions to the toilets but not being able to understand the language I followed the people who pointed the way for me, not that it helped too much because I still got lost.

‘’Excuse me,’’ I said breathlessly to the tall man standing in front of me with his back turned, ‘’do have any idea where the bathrooms are?’’

The stranger turned around and I had to tilt my head right back to look up at him but I was glad I did. I was captured by his mesmerizing eyes, beautiful smile and the best bone structure I had ever seen. His hair was jet black with slight curl that made me want to reach out and run my fingers through it. He leaned in closer to me, so close I could feel his warm breath against my cheek and in ordinary circumstances I would have stepped away the stranger but I couldn’t. My body wouldn’t let me.

‘’I could tell you but you’ll stand in a line, I guarantee you that. Or…you could come with me to the green room and use the bathroom there,’’ he replied over the loud music.

I let out a laugh. ‘’I don’t even know you!’’

‘’No,’’ he said slowly. ‘’But I watched you while I was on stage, since you walked in, and I think I’d like to get to know you.’’

This time I did step back. I looked him over once and smiled. ‘’You are in that band that just played?’’ I asked and regretted that it came out sounding like I was surprised or flabbergasted.

‘’Yeah,’’ he said through a laugh. A laugh that made me smile even wider.

I bit my bottom lip and nodded. How could I say I didn’t want to go with him after I fumbled up like that and he didn’t even care? Most people in bands would expect you to know who they were! They almost demanded it, yet he seemed so content and down to earth. He gently took my hand and then nodded to the people he was talking to and lead me away into a quiet room.

‘’What’s your name?’’ the man asked

‘’Katherine Wheel,’’ I said looking around the room. The room was adorned with posters of bands and there against the wall was the stranger, with the rest of his band I presumed and the words HIM written below them. A smile had formed at the corners of my mouth for I had heard of them but never had the time to listen to them.

‘’I’m Ville Valo,’’ he said and cocked a brow with a smirk playing on lips. ‘’But I think you know that now.’’

I pulled my eyes off the poster and smiled bashfully. ‘’I’ve heard of you. I just wish I had heard your music before, I really enjoyed it.’’

‘’Thank you. So, Katherine Wheel, what do you say we get out of here and get to know each other a little better?’’ he asked

‘’I…’’ I said and ran a toung over my lips then spontaneously nodded. ‘’Why not? Let me just use your bathroom first.’’

That night was one of the best nights of my life. We celebrated the New Year as snow flakes fell upon our faces while we walked back to the apartment he had close by. We later sat in front of a roaring fire sipping coffee and exchanging stories and just getting to know each other like I never done with another person before. We had more in common than I ever would have thought and something deep inside my soul told me this was a man I would never forget.

I woke up next Ville early the following morning. A blanket covered our naked bodies and I dreamily closed my eyes until they shot open after I remembered I had a plane to catch. I slithered from the arm Ville had around my waist and quietly gathered up my clothing that lay scattered carelessly on the floor. I then bent down and kissed Ville gently on his cheek as to not wake him from his slumber. Then I bolted out the door to catch my plane.

20 February 2010 <i/>

I was staring out of my office window when my best friend walked hurriedly in and threw a CD onto my table. I looked at the CD and then gave her a baffled look.

‘‘Turn if over,’’ she demanded but before I could she grabbed it and held in front of my face. ‘’Remember you told me about Ville, and how he probly forgot about you? Well I don’t think so!’’

My eyes scanned the back and I felt my own eyes bulge as I read the words ‘Katherine Wheel’. I re-read it. And again. I then looked up at my friend and gave her a weak smile.

‘’Nice one. Try another joke on a different day please, Tamara,’’ I said and sighed deeply

‘’Sorry Kiddo but this is real. My brothers friend told me HIM have a new CD out so I thought I would check it out and…ugh just listen will you?’’ Tamara said and walked over to the CD player that stood on a shelf. She quickly, and I’m sure she was shaking, put the cd into the player and pressed play.

I felt my throat tighten as I heard Ville’s sweet voice fill the room. I could never in my life forget that voice and a shiver ran up my back, causing me to shoot up out of my chair. Tamara smiled widely at me and nodded with self pride.

‘’This is amazing,’’ she said and clapped her hands in joy

‘’I can’t believe it. I mean it just can’t be,’’ I said and ran a hand through my hair

‘’But it is! What are still doing here, go buy a plane ticket for Pete’s sakes,’’ Tamara said pointing to the door way

‘’I can’t just leave!’’ I exclaimed. ‘’Ville lives half way around the world and why would he want anything to do with me?’’

‘’Maybe it’s because you forgot to leave him your number or address when you left in such a hurry to catch your plane back? This song says it all Katherine, now I suggest you go hurry and catch a plane all the way back to Ville and leave him with something to make contact with you again.’’

I smiled at Tamara and flung my arms around her. If anyone knew the way I had been feeling about Ville for the past few months it was her. I had never forgot about him, not one moment went by that I didn’t think of him or that night. I had to admit that I slept with Ville, even though it wasn’t in my character to do that. There was just something greater than I could explain as to why I did and that it turned out to be the best experience I had ever had. I day dreamed about his hands sliding up my body, his kisses falling over me like light rain and his voice whispering the sweetest thing into my ears. If it was true, Ville didn’t forget that night either.

The flight to Finland was the longest time in my life. Time just would not pass by quick enough and I had the worst thoughts flowing through my mind. What if Ville had moved? What if Ville laughed at me in my face and told me exactly what I had thought for months – that I was a one night stand and worse, that my name just fit with the song? I feared I had made the worst mistake of my life but I also knew if never found out, I would have gone insane.

I arrived at Ville’s apartment at exactly 9:20 PM. I must have lifted my hand up a hundred times before I could muster up the courage to actually knock on his dark wooden door. I silently prayed that he still lived there, or that he was home, at least. I would think that he had more than one place to live at, and I knew of no other place to find him. He told me they played at that club regularly when they were in Finland, yes, when[i/] they were in Finland. For all I knew he could have been just were I was a few hours ago, in the States.

I knocked once more and was just about to turn around and leave when the door swung open and in the shadows of his hallway, there stood Ville. I breathed of sigh of relief at the sight of him and for the first time in months I felt my stomach fill with the same butterflies that filled my stomach on New Years Eve.

‘’Katherine Wheel?’’ Ville asked and I let out a small laugh and nodded. The next thing I knew, I was being lifted off the ground in a vice grip hug. I inhaled his scent deeply, realizing it one of the many things I had missed about him.

‘’I brought you my phone number…just encase,’’ I said and giggled when Ville let out a laugh and put me back down to my feet. Ville stood back for a brief moment and scanned the length of my body and although I normally would have felt insecure, I gladly let him look me over. It felt good to have those beautiful eyes on my body and apparently Ville felt the same because he grabbed me and pulled me into his apartment, singing ‘Katherine Wheel, I’m burning for you’.

Present Day <i/>

I’m pregnant with our first child we’re getting married in few months from now. What turned out to be a cold night in Finland, actually became the warmest future I could ever ask for. My name is Katherine Wheel and I love it!
♠ ♠ ♠
I have always wondered about Katherine Wheel when I hear the song by HIM. Who is she? Is she real? So I wrote what I thought might have happened to get Ville to write that song. I hope you enjoyed it!