Enemies Closer

Aislinn

Image


Blue...

Green...

Red...

...purple...

Lights did wonders with the jewel on a ring, no matter what the size. Well, a jewel on anything really. It was quite beautiful.

I spent my time twirling the ring back and forth on my left hand. I enjoyed watching the colors merge into one another. This ring meant so much more now than just the announcement of an engagement. It was amazing how much this ring had seen; the memories swirled around in the colors. I would never forget it. No one would. It had changed us all. Especially Maris and I.

Speak of the devil...

There was a soft knock on the door. I knew who it was. I didn't say a word because I knew she would come in anyway.

"Aislinn?' Maris's alto voice called.

Her head poked in the room. I smiled at her faintly, a gesture that both of us would not even have considered doing only a few months back.

"It's time to get started," she pressed, "are you ready?"

I took this question to heart. Ready was a word that had gained a great importance for me over a short period of time. Are you ready? I wasn't ready for the war. I wasn't ready for school to suddenly be canceled. I definitely wasn't ready to nearly lose my life. But one thing that I would never have been ready for-was change. Everything that we had known, that I had known, had been questioned to the highest degree. None of us were ready for that.

Though after saying all this and experiencing all this, the next words that came out of my mouth were surprising to me. I closed my eyes, shook my head and said, "Yeah, I'm ready. Just give me a few more minutes."

This was the one thing that I was ready for.