Enemies Closer

Aislinn

Image


After hitting Maris with the door, I went home. Meetings like that were so common that, these days, I often forgot about them. I was pretty sure Maris didn't think twice about them either. Maris and I had been hateful towards each other for as long as I can remember, and I don't bother trying to figure out why we can't stand each other. It's just been this tacit agreement between us-we really hate each other. Today, I hit her with a door (although that was accidental..still, I accept FULL responsibility.), tomorrow, she will trip me as I walk by her. It has become part of my life and my daily routine. I suspect she feels the seem way. I rolled my eyes and decided to quit thinking about it.

I continued my walk home. It was quiet and peaceful. I was glad I had chosen my shorts, tank, and Keds. It was perfect weather for it. I half wished I had ridden my bike to school. I enjoyed my curls actually moving for once. Girls with curly hair tend to not feel the wind through their hair without help from a bike, or an open window in a car. It is a nice feeling, too. The only thing that would make this day even better would be if it were raining. That would be lovely. I smiled to myself, lost in daydreams. Though, I was going home to an empty house-as usual. My mother was never at home. She always left money for me, but I never see her. That has also become part of my life. Ever since I was young, I have taken care of myself. I have known no other kind of life. I am very lonely, so one begins to wonder how I am engaged. I tend not to question that, however. I am very happy. Jonathan is great, and I truly adore him. I just wonder, why me? Anyway, back to my mother, you know, I don't even think she KNOWS I am engaged. That says something in and of itself. Like I said though, that is just my life and I let it go a long time ago.

As my mind shifted towards unrest, I began to notice that my neighborhood was unusually quiet. I stopped to look around. There were a few volvos to my right, parked by their homes. There were some toys in yards, but no one was outside. I grew uneasy. I checked my watch. It was only 2 PM, there were always kids playing outside and people driving past. I decided it was probably best to head home. Something was up, and I needed to find out what. I hurried home and went inside, making sure to lock my door. I plopped down on my couch and turned on the tv to my usual news station.

What I found was frightening.

President Lynchard had been assassinated.

I buried my face in my hands, scared for this country. Scared for this world. I continued to listen to the news broadcaster. She explained further, her voice shaky, and sad, "...though it is not clear how the president was killed, the FBI is reportedly hot on the suspect's trail. Who would do such an awful thing? And at a time like this..?" I didn't hear anything for a while, and I looked up at the screen. The woman was staring back, blinking slowly. I could hear people in the back urging her to continue, but she shook her head, signaling she couldn't go on. As another newscaster took over, telling about the immediate swearing in of the vice-president, I grabbed the remote and shut off the tv. I think this country's hope died whenever the president was assassinated. We were scared more than ever. We had no faith in the vice-president. The timing was awful and a thought occurred to me.

The killer must have been foreign. Someone from a fighting country that wanted the US in the war but knew we wouldn't enter without a damn good reason. This killer was intelliegent. He had thought of the one thing that would get us to war for sure. Our vice-president would not try to see reason if we discovered that the president's killer was from another country. He would immediately urge congress to declare war, and congress would not say no. Our military was powerful, but not if spread out over several countries.

Military..

I had to call Jonathan.

I rushed to my phone and dialed the number for the air force base in Maryland. I usually wouldn't call Jonathan like this, but this was important. My time with him wasn't much. Someone picked up the phone.

"Andrews Air Force Base, this is Staff Sergeant Charles Dixon speaking."

I cleared my throat, "Yes, my name is Aislinn Hartwell and I am calling for Master Sergeant Jonathan Emerson."

I heard some shuffling and then, "Master Sergeant Emerson. Yes, what is your relation to him?"

I quickly replied, "I am his fiancee."

"Of course, ma'am. One moment please."

I heard several phones ringing in the background. There were many voices. I figured all military bases were on high alert. Our country was vulnerable. Plus, I had no doubt the military had been ordered to prepare for war.

"Aislinn??"

It was Jonathan. It was so great to hear his voice.

"Jonathan! How are you?"

"Deeply concerned for the world. You?"

"The same. Have you heard anything more than us?"

"We know less if that is even possible. What do you know?"

I sighed. "The FBI is on a hot trail."

He paused. "What do you think Aislinn?"

I remembered my developed thoughts from earlier. "The killer is obviously intelligent. He can't be a citizen, in my opinion. He knew the outcomes from doing this. The country he comes from seemingly wants us to fight, and I think the new president is going to grant them that wish. Be careful, Jonathan. We won't be staying out of this war much longer."

He was silent before continuing. Quietly, he admitted, "Our Chief Master Sergeant has announced for us to be ready to ship out at any time."

I absorbed this new information and what it meant for me and Jonathan. For a moment, I was consumed with sadness and choked on my words. I took a deep breath to steady myself. I had seen this coming. It wouldn't help Jonathan if I were upset. I wasn't naive, though. I knew that if Jonathan went to war, he would probably never come back. Communication would be near impossible. We had been planning to get married next summer, too...

I shook my head. "Jonathan?" I called calmly.

"Yes?"

There were a lot of things I could say, but only one thing would really make a difference.

"Jonathan," I continued, "fight. Fight hard. Don't hold back. Don't think things that could potentially hold you back. Just fight. Fight and..take care okay?"

I heard him chuckle softly in reply, and I smiled.

"Even though I would never have expected you to say that, I still needed that, Aislinn. Thank you so much. I feel relieved knowing you support me. I will always be thinking of you. You take care yourself, eh? Make an emergency kit for the bomb shelter. You never know."

"Yeah, "I replied, "I will. I won't keep you longer, Jonathan."

He was quiet for a moment. He drew in a shaky breath and my heart ached for him. "Take care of yourself, Aislinn. I love you."

Don't cry, I thought. Don't cry. "I love you, too, Jonathan." We both hesitated a moment, and then I hung up, and I couldn't help it. I cried. I never cry, but sometimes it really helps let emotions out. So I continued to cry. I sobbed and shook. Eventually, it slowed and then stopped and I had a headache. With my hand on my forehead, I checked my watch. 4:30 PM. I took in a deep breath and got up from where I had slumped to the floor. I wiped my face clean in the kitchen with water and proceeded to do my homework. Close to 6 PM, I left to the store to buy supplies for my kit. Bandaids, batteries, the sort. I felt apathetic. I really had lost my hope.

I was in the car coming back from the store listening to the radio when the warning buzzers interrupted the music.

It was a national broadcast. My heart fell and I was cold. I was right about the killer. The broadcast confrmed it.

"..this is a nationwide broadcast. Congress has just declared war. Repeat. This is a nationwide broadcast. Congress has just declared war. Residents are urged to locate their nearest bomb shelter.."

My foot found the gas pedal and slammed down hard. I raced home.

Oh God..

Will anyone be spared?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay! Enjoy! And please please please comment! Have I said that before? Ah well-comment! Hope you liked it. :)