Sequel: Plummet
Status: Complete with a sequel on the way

Freefall

11

I waited for the punch line, but he didn’t say another word. He was staring at me, waiting for some sort of reaction. “You mean you think you can change into a wolf?”

“No, I mean I know I can.” I was having trouble making sense of it. Werewolf? I felt like a frazzled robot: ‘does- not- compute’.

“Impossible,” I whispered to myself.

“It’s not. I know it’s hard to believe, but…”

“Show me.” I don’t know what made me say it, but I could tell he was just as surprised as I was.

“Are… are you sure?” I nodded my head. That was a lie. I wasn’t sure, not at all. But there’s something to be said for that saying, ‘seeing is believing.’ I could have really used a dose of believing just then.

“Okay. Okay, I’ll be right back. Just… don’t be afraid. I won’t hurt you. I could never hurt you.” Paul turned and ran off, disappearing behind cover of trees. I watched him with my heart pounding. I wasn’t sure how long it took for him to come back- it might have been forever, it might have been a matter of seconds.

But suddenly, a giant- and I mean giant- wolf was approaching.

It took every ounce of willpower I had not to run. Instead, I locked eyes with him- they were so intelligent, not at all wild. Seeing those eyes was the only way I could know it was still Paul.

“You’re a… You’re a werewolf,” I whispered. He snorted and rolled his eyes in a way that clearly meant ‘I told you so’. “Hey. I’m allowed to be a little shocked right now, don’t you think?” Paul hung his head dramatically.

I stood up and approached him slowly. When I stood in front of him, I realized that he was much bigger than I’d realized. He towered over me. “Lay down, Doggie,” I whispered, laughing a little. He gave me a reproachful look, but did as I asked. I reached out a hand and touched the fur on his head.

My hand sank in, and it was softer than I could have imagined. “You’re so beautiful,” I whispered. He made a funny buzzing sound. “Are you purring?” I snorted. He huffed and stood.

“Right. I do feel ridiculous holding a one-sided conversation. You’d better go change back.” Paul sprinted away, like a streak of lightning, and came back human.

“So… you believe me?”

“How can I not?” I reached out a hand and touched his cheek, to make sure he was really Paul again.

“Are you… okay with it?” I’d never seen him so hesitant.

I thought about it. Was I? “I think I might be,” I answered honestly. It was the most I could give him just now. He nodded, accepting this.

“Then… there’s more you should know.” I laughed.

“Isn’t there always more?”

“This is… it’s important. You… you’re important. I don’t want to scare you away, but I can’t stand you not knowing everything.” He reached out and brushed stray hairs off of my cheek.

“Okay, fine. But if I start looking like I’m going to pass out, catch me, would you?” I’d meant that last part as a joke, albeit a weak one, but it didn’t come out that way. He nodded gravely.

“We- the pack-”

“Wait! You’re not the only one?” I felt stupid right after the words left my mouth. Still, he answered.

“No, I’m not. Embry and Jared are, too. And Jacob, Sam, and Quil. Seth and Leah…”

“Oh. So there are a lot of you. What about Kim?”

“No, she’s human. She’s just with Jared.” I nodded my head slowly. Knowing that helped. If she could be with a werewolf and not freak out, then I wouldn’t freak out.

“And she knows?” I demanded, just to make sure.

“Yeah, she knows.”

“Okay. Then please, continue.” I took some of my hair and started putting it into a teeny braid. Having something to do with my hands made me feel like my grip on reality wasn’t slipping away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry to break up this conversation, but if i didn't, this chapter would be seven or eight pages, which would have just about broken my heart.

So... the rest will be out tomorrow night, as always.

While I'm here, thank you times a million to all of my subscribers and reviewers. In particular, I'd like to thank Gyllenhaal., who comments religiously. I can't say how much I appreciate that.