Sequel: Plummet
Status: Complete with a sequel on the way

Freefall

15

We skipped the entire first period, instead simply sitting together. Sometimes we talked, and sometimes we didn’t. It was completely comfortable.

And I was starting to feel something around him that I’d thought was lost forever. Stability. Belonging.

Since Mom died, my life had been severely lacking both.

Later that day while Paul walked me home (Chris, thankfully, had basketball practice), he held my hand. It felt nice, so I let him.

“Why don’t you come with me to Sam’s place? You can meet Emily and the rest of the pack.”

“Will they mind?” I asked nervously. I didn’t want to intrude.

Paul actually laughed. “Of course not. You’re one of us now.” I glowed a little. I’d never had a big group of people to rely on before. The very idea of possibly having one was great.

“So you’ll come?” Paul asked, watching my expression hopefully.

How could I refuse that face?

I couldn’t. “Fine. Alright. I’ll go.” Paul whooped and removed his hand from mine, instead wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

I wanted to object, because I didn’t want to act this way, like we were a couple. But he was so comfortable and even the thought of his moving away hurt. The arm stayed.

Paul left me at my doorstep, saying he was going to run and get his car, and that he’d be back soon. I rushed upstairs. I’d long since realized that when Paul said ‘soon’, it meant something completely different than my ‘soon’ did. He was insanely fast.

I had just finished re-brushing my hair when I heard his car. I rushed to the door and threw it open, to see him beaming at me.

“Ready?” he asked.

“As I’ll ever be.”

My nerves had to have been showing on my face, because he gave me a small smile and said, “They’ll love you,” and kissed my forehead.

I watched him sometimes at school when he didn’t know I was watching. This softness he’d always shown me, which I’d been taking for granted, was never there when he was around other people. While I couldn’t imagine him any other way, I got the feeling that most people would never have believed he had it in him. it was like this caring sweetness was just for me.

I was so, so lucky.

And I knew that he wanted me to meet his pack. I didn’t want to deny him that, though to tell the truth, I was terrified. What if they didn’t like me? What if…?

Paul pulled into the driveway of a small, neat-looking house and parked. Meanwhile, I clutched at his hand.

Embry came out of the house and grinned at me. “It’s about time,” he told Paul. That made me feel a little better. At least I knew one person other than Paul wanted me here.

“Let’s go,” I said, releasing his hand from my death grip. If he was confused by my sudden burst of eagerness, he didn’t comment.

Inside, I met Emily- a beautiful young woman with scars on her face- and Sam. Sam radiated calm and control. Jared and Kim were there, too. Seeing them was a comfort. We were friendly. After all, I did eat lunch with them every day. Chris did too, since Paul insisted on me eating with him and I insisted on sitting with Chris.

Really, I don’t know why I’d been so afraid of the pack. Everyone was very nice and they all accepted me effortlessly, just as Paul had known they would.

I was surprised to see how much like a family they all were. Easy, light banter was tossed between Paul and Embry while Kim and Emily prepared a dinner that could feed fifty. I offered to help, and they accepted easily.

During dinner, Embry took a bite of the potatoes I’d fried with a few select spices and said, “Damn, Paul, your girl can cook.”

My cheeks flushed and I bit my tongue against the urge to say that I wasn’t Paul’s girl. Here, that’s exactly what I was.