Sequel: Plummet
Status: Complete with a sequel on the way

Freefall

17

I reluctantly left Paul at my doorstep, stealing one last goodbye kiss. When I opened the door, it hit Chris, who had been watching out the keyhole.

“Where have you been?” he said angrily.

“I was at a friend’s house.”

“Paul’s?” he demanded.

“So what if I was?” I shouldn’t have said that. I knew he was just being an over-protective older brother. I also knew that I was feeling really annoyed that he’d been watching me and Paul.

“You… I… he’d better not have done anything,” Chris spluttered.

“Relax,” I said in my most soothing voice, putting a hand on his arm. “I was actually at this guy Sam’s house, and other than Paul and me, there were five other people there. No booze, no drugs. Nothing for you to worry about.”

Chris grinned, but looked uncomfortable. “Sorry, Lyd. But… you were kissing him. I just assumed…”

“I know you did. And now you know better, and it won’t happen again,” I said in my most intimidating voice. His grin got wider. I knew that I wasn’t exactly scary, even when I tried to be.

“Fine,” he agreed, putting his hands up in the universal signal for surrender. I patted his shoulder as I passed him on the way to my room.

The next morning, I was giddy as I got ready for school. I didn’t know what to expect today. After last night’s revelations, I didn’t know how to act around him, or what he was expecting of me.

When I got to school, he was waiting outside for me, as usual. He simply offered his hand and we walked down the hall together. It was like nothing had changed. I didn’t know if I felt disappointed or not.

The sinking feeling in my stomach faded immediately when he diffidently blurted, “I think we should go on a date.”

I grinned at him. “I think we should, too. What do you have in mind?” He audibly huffed out the breath he’d been holding.

“Well, I was thinking a picnic. I know this great spot in the woods…”

I laughed. “You would. Alright. But it had probably better wait until Saturday, then. That way we don’t have to worry about running out of daylight.” Paul reluctantly agreed.