Status: Slowly in the making

Double Nickels on Your Dime

Day 10

Day 10

Nick became aware he was awake. It was one of those moments where he had come to, but it didn’t register until he opened his eyes. Today was Friday. He rolled out of bed not wanting to be late and miss his ride to school.

After showering and getting all the necessities done, he ended up in the kitchen with a hot pocket. Jane finally bounced into the kitchen, looking chipper.

“Hiiii Nick.”

He raised an eyebrow at her.

She prodded, “Guess what!”

“I don’t know. What?”

“Well, according to Lacey, who heard from Jake; Cody’s friend, Travis, is having a party! And I’m going of course.”

“That’s good I guess.”

“It’s tomorrow. I don’t know how to get there, but Heather said that she was going and she’d make Ben go even if he didn’t want to. But, he is friends with all of those people, so I don’t know why he wouldn’t go…You should come too!”

He thought about it. He’d get to meet a lot of new people. Specifically girls.

“Alright, I’ll go.”

“Yay! Now mom can’t say no to me!” She flounced back out of the kitchen with an apple in hand.

School was uneventful. He was formally invited to the party by Cody when he sat with him at lunch again. Once it was mentioned, it became the topic of excitement.

“So, Nick, are you going?” It was Libby.

“I’m going with my sister, Heather and Ben.” He studied her face wondering if she would react to Ben’s name at all. She didn’t, but then, she wasn’t the one who had dated him.

Libby smiled slyly, “So, you don’t have a date then?”

“I guess I don’t.” He wasn’t sure he liked where this was going, but he was trying to make new friends.

“Well, if your sister and Heather don’t mind you should come with me, Cody, and Anna.”

Anna, Nick knew, was Cody’s girlfriend who has a different lunch than them.

He debated for a moment, “Oomh. Suure. I think they’ll live.”

“Great! Well, Cody is picking us up, so we can swing by and get you, too?”

“Yeah, that’s fine. What time are we going?”

“Ten thirty-ish? I’m probably heading over to Anna’s beforehand hmmm…I’ll need to find her after lunch.”

“Should I bring my stuff? Or does Anna have everything?” Jessica took Libby’s attention away from the guys.

Cody smiled broadly. “So, Travis has this awesome party house. It’s out past the country club almost by itself. He’s got a huge pool house with an indoor fire pit and sound system. His closest neighbors are half a mile away.”

Nick nodded his approval. It had been a while since he had been to a big party. He would just have to make sure he kept an eye out for Jane.

After school, as per usual now, Ben and he met up to run. They went for a full hour today at a slower pace.

“Are you going to the party tomorrow?” Nick new he sounded lame. He was a little nervous telling him he was going with Libby.

Ben had one finger shoved inside his cast, looking murderous. He swooped down and picked up a twig, using it to scratch his under the plaster.

He let out a groan. “God that feels good. Yeah, I guess. I mean Heather wants to go. Jane is coming with us, too. You coming?”

Nick prepared himself. “I’m going with Cody, Anna, and Libby.”

To his relief Ben only raised an eyebrow.

“Date with Libby?”

“Nah. She just offered and I felt bad turning her down since I was going to see her there anyways.”

The blonde boy nodded. They turned into the alley that ran between their houses.

Nick stopped at his gate. It was a tall wooden gate with brick wall covered in ivy on either side. It almost looked like it led to the secret garden.

“You want to come swimming?”

Ben’s face brightened.

They shed their shirts, socks and shoes, and were about to jump in when Ben remembered his cast.

“Do you have a plastic bag and duct tape?”

Nick ran inside and returned with the items. Ben wrapped his arm in the bag and had Nick tape it off. They jumped in.

A few minutes later, Jane joined them, as well as Amanda and Peter, their younger siblings. Peter in his water wings had taken a liking to Ben throwing him one armed into the deep end.

Jane insisted on playing chicken, so Ben grabbed Amanda and heaved her onto his shoulders, yelling, “BRING IT ON!”

Unfortunately, even though she had greater height on his shoulders, Amanda was out matched by Jane, so Ben tried to tip the match in her favor. He hooked a foot around Nick’s ankle and jerked it out from under him.

His plan backfired.

Jane still had Amanda’s hands, so when they toppled backwards, Ben and Amanda followed them laughing hysterically.

Someone tried to stand up and knocked Ben in the head. He righted himself stood up slowly, clutching his head. He waded over to the side and leaned onto the cement. His ears were ringing and he was seeing little spots.

“Hey, Ben, you alright?” Jane followed him over. She looked at Nick with a hand on the top of his head, then to Ben clutching at his.

“Are you bleeding? Where did you get hit?” She reached up and felt around on his head looking for blood, but finding none. Her bare stomach was slippery against his bare back.

Nick appeared at his other side apologizing.

“I’m fine, it didn’t hurt all that much. It’s just that concussion.” His vision was clearing up a little and the ringing in his ears was fading. They were being replaced with a glaring headache.

“I’ve just got a headache now.” He turned to Nick, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, not even a knot. Are you sure you’re alright? Getting hit after a concussion can be bad.”

Ben saw that Amanda was helping Peter out of the pool and into a towel. “I’ll be fine. I’ll just need to sleep it off.”

He hopped out of the pool onto the edge, letting his feet dangle in the water for a moment, squinting at the sky cautiously. His eyes weren’t sensitive, at least. Nick brought him a towel. He accepted it and stood up, regretting the action the moment he did it. He ran to the bushes and threw up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bomb de bomb de dang de dang diggy diggy
Comment!
Give me a tiny ego trip?
Thank you for reading, especially those who are subscribed :)