Status: Slowly in the making

Double Nickels on Your Dime

Day 5

The next morning Nick’s alarm went off at 5:30. He hit snooze once and lay still looking at the ceiling. He listened to Ben’s even breathing only a few feet away. His alarm went off again. He got up and went into the bathroom. He washed his face and brushed his teeth, then leaned against the sink. He felt like he’d been hit by a bus. He heard his phone going off again in the other room, but left it to wake Ben up. He pulled a white t-shirt over his head and slipped his sliders and shorts on. Then someone knocked lightly three times. He grabbed his bag and opened the door to see a groggy Ben with his patented bed hair.

Nick stepped around him and gave a grand sweep of his arm letting him know it was his. He lay back down waiting for Ben to come out. He heard the faucet running for a while. Ben finally shuffled out of the bathroom and flicked on the overhead light. His hair was dripping wet. He grabbed his towel and mussed his head only making it untidier.

“Good morning!”

Nick laughed, “So it takes you dumping water on your head to wake you fully up?”

“Yep! Unfortunately. But now I’m up so let’s go eat!”

The two boys shoveled food onto their plates and settled at a table on the wall.

“So how do you think you did yesterday?” Ben attacked a styrofoam bowl of fruit loops.

Nick shrugged, “I thought I did pretty well. I just wonder how they are splitting the teams up? I would think they would try to keep it even you know?”

Ben nodded, “ Stacking one team isn’t going to help anyone. They’ll probably spread the talent out so we actually play a decent game.”

Nathan and Matt joined them at their table and the four chatted for a while. Then headed back up to their rooms to grab their stuff and board the bus.

On the bus, Coach White separated everyone into two groups. Ben and Nick were still in the same group. They were working on finishing today. The coach had them start with a four point shooting drill. Every drill became harder than the previous. After two hours they did a group cool down and headed back on the bus. Nick hopped in the shower first. Ben called Heather.

“Ben!”

“Hi Heather!” He yawned loudly.

She giggled on the other end. “Tired?”

“Yes, I’m sorry. We just got back from practice.”

“We’ll how is it going? Are you making new friends? Are you playing well?”

Ben laughed, “You’ll never believe me, but guess who my roommate is?”

“Is it someone famous?”

He laughed happily. “Nope. It’s Nick!”

“You didn’t know he was going?”

“I had no idea!” Ben pulled his soggy shirt off and tossed it next to his bag.

“Well you sound happy about it.” He could tell she was smiling.

“I am, we get along great.”

“Well, that’s great! I’m really happy for you! You need a good guy friend.”

He laughed, she always commented he needed to get some friends.

“I miss you Ben.”

Nick walked out of the bathroom in a towel and Ben reluctantly stood up. “I miss you too, Heather.”

He gathered his shower supplies and a pair of clean boxers and headed in.

“Well…I guess I’ll let you go. I’ll see you Sunday?”

“Sunday afternoon. I’ll drive fast.”

“No! Just drive. I don’t want you dead.”

“Ok, fine.”

“I love you, Ben.”

“I love you too.”

Ben hung up and left his phone by the sink and stepped in the shower.

Nick got dressed and laid on the bed. He heard Ben talking to Heather and kind of wished he had a girlfriend. He had broken up with this girl Carrie before the move. They weren’t that serious and he didn’t want to deal with the whole long distance thing. It would’ve only gotten complicated.

“Despite the lies that you’re making, your love is mine for the taking, my love is just waiting, to turn your tears into roses!”

Nick laughed as he heard Ben singing in the shower. He didn’t know what he was singing, or if he was on tune but he belted it out nonetheless.

“I will be the one that’s gonna hold you! I will be the one you run to, My love is a burning consuming fire, No! You’ll never be alone, when darkness comes, I’ll light the night with stars!
Hear my whispers in the dark!”

Someone knocked on the front door. He looked through the peep hole and saw a mop of red hair. He unlocked the door.

“Hey Nick! Where’s Ben?”

“NO! You’ll never be alone! When darkness comes, you know I’m never far! Hear my whispers in the dark!”

Nathan’s eyebrows nearly disappeared into his hairline.

“Found him. How long has that been going on?”

“Long enough, but what’s going on?”

“You feel like going to the mall?”

“WHISPERS IN THE DARK! ”

“WHISPERS IN THE DARK! You feel so lonely and ragged, you lay here broken and naked, my love is ju-“

“BEN! Wanna go to the mall?”

The water shut off. “What?”

“Nathan and I are going to the mall, you coming?”

“Yeah!”

“Hurry up then. We need to be back here by 2 or so.”

The bathroom door opened and Ben came out carrying his pile of clothes and bathroom necessities.

“You going like that Ben? They won’t let you in without pants.”

“Hahaha funny Nathan. They’d let me in wearing boxers. Who wouldn’t want to see this?”

There was an awkward silence, “Yeah, too far. My bad.” He shuffled past them and got dressed.

They took Nathans car, a white trailblazer to the mall.

The mall was pretty big. The guys walked around window shopping, since none of them brought much spending money. Around twelve they got a bite to eat. They sat in the food court people watching. Nathan’s eyes darted around taking in all aspects of their surroundings.

“Mm. Take a look at ten o’clock. That girl is fine!” Ben looked at her. She was tall and willowy with dark hair cascading past her shoulders. She seemed to float past with the grace of a dancer. Nick gave Nathan a disbelieving look.

“She’s like half a foot taller than you.”

“I can dream can’t I? Besides, I already have a woman back home.”

“Who? Your mom?” Nathan chucked a fry at Ben. “No. Her name is Anna.”

“So, what’s she like? She a legal midget, right?”

Ben’s lips quirked into a half smirk.

Nathan crossed his arms. “She’s shorter than me. Happy? She’s an artist. And also very fione.”
He fished his phone out of his pocket and flipped it open, shoving it under Ben’s nose.

It showed a small brunette girl with a button nose. “She’s cute. Nice job Nat-o!”

He huffed. “Well let’s see your girlfriend, then.”

Ben pulled out his phone and opened a picture of Heather, tossing it to Nathan.

He whistled. “Damn! Can you top her Nick?”

“No can do Nat-o. I’m a bachelor on the prowl.” Nathan snorted.

“Is that what you call it? It’s cool. Not everyone can charm the ladies like me and Ben here.”

Nick rolled his eyes. “I broke up with my girlfriend before I moved. Her name is Carrie.” He pulled out his phone and pressed a few buttons, then turned it towards them. It showed a light brown haired girl hugging him as they both smiled wide for the camera.

“Oh. That sucks.”

They sat in a slightly awkward silence for a few moments.

“So…”

Ben stood up. “Let’s walk.” Ben took off leaving Nick and Nathan at the table. They followed but
saw Ben round the corner. They found him standing in front of a hurricane booth. Two younger girls stood inside giggling madly as the winds buffeted them. They seemed to be watching Ben through the clear door.

“What the hell is he doing?” Nathan started laughing.

Ben was blowing at the girls. His cheeks were puffed out and he was leaned forward looking as if he was for all the world creating the giant gale inside the booth. Nick saw that Nathan had his phone out and was taking a video. Ben spun around spotting the two. “Help me out!”

He waved his arms beckoning them forward. Nick stepped next to him warily. A small group was watching them now. He took a deep breath and blew. The girls inside were laughing hysterically. He saw a few people pull out their phones. He exaggerated his blowing. Ben glanced sideways at him and they both started laughing. Bens face was red from blowing. He held his cheeks as he laughed. Nathan came up and clapped Ben on the back. The small crowd dispersed.

The two girls came out of the booth fixing their hair. They waved and went on their way.
Nathan sauntered up to them and replayed the video for the two of them.

(This camp thing is killing me because I don’t want to bore everybody with endless soccer details, so fast forward to the end of the day.)

The bus pulled away leaving the 50 boys drenched in sweat staggering into the hotel. Nearly 15 of them crammed into a single elevator. Ben and Nick pushed their way through the others getting off on their floor. Ben let them into their room and they both collapsed onto their beds. Nick let out an agitated groan.

“I can’t get up. Not enough strength yet.”

Ben heaved himself off the bed and stumbled into the bathroom. He didn’t even have enough energy to sing. He finished quickly, pulling on clean boxers and bee lining for his bed. Nick rolled over and pushed himself up. He showered unenthusiastically and changed. Ben was asleep on top of the covers again. Nick dropped on his own bed and set his alarm.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a while. Man this chapter sucks. I'm sorry.
They go home the next day and school starts the day after so it will be more eventful.
Comment?