‹ Prequel: Hopeless Hearts

After Everything's Said and Done

Fight

“Bull shit,” I said.

“No,” said Frank, taking my hand. “I really do love you.”

I pulled my hand angrily out of his.

“I find that hard to believe,” I spat, glaring at him. “Unless you having nothing to do with me after I told you I was pregnant with your baby is your idea of love.”

“I was scared, Claire. I didn’t know what to do,” he said. “I still had my future ahead of me.”

This only made me angrier.

“And I wasn’t?!” I yelled. “While you got to live your life peacefully, I had to take care of a baby. I spent the rest of my high school years at home, getting home schooled so that I could be with the baby. I was pretty much alone. I only had my mom. I accepted my responsibility of taking care of the baby. So you know what, Frank Iero? Fuck you! I’m going to tell you the same thing you told me… I never want to see you again.”

I felt tears stinging my eyes, threatening to come out.

“Claire,” said Frank gently. He reached his hand towards me and I quickly slapped it away.

“Just leave!” I yelled. I turned away from Frank, but I could see him out of the corner of my eye. He was staring at me, looking sad. He then put his hands in his jeans pockets, lowered his head and headed toward the apartment door. As soon as I heard him leave, I immediately started crying. No, sobbing.

I collapsed onto my knees and buried my face in my hands, my body shaking with sobs. I felt a gentle hand on my back and threw myself at Gerard. He held me tightly, stroking my hair softly until my sobs finally subsided.

Gerard loosened his grip and I pulled back a little to look at him.

“Are you going to be ok, sugar?” he asked, concern showing in his eyes.

I nodded my head.

“Ok,” he said. Gerard stood up before helping me up. “I’m gonna go take a shower.”

“Ok,” I said. While Gerard headed to the bathroom to take a shower, I went into the bedroom to change my clothes. After I got dressed, I was heading back into the living room when there was a knock on the apartment door. I quickly went to the door and opened it.

“Hey Claire!” Mikey. I gave him a small smile.

“Hey Mikey,” I said. I stepped back, allowing Mikey to come into the apartment. “What’s up?”

“Not much. Is Gerard around?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said. “But he’s taking a shower. He should be out soon.”

“Ok,” said Mikey. “So..What are you up to?”

“Not much,” I said. “I’m supposed to be looking for a job, but I haven’t done much looking yet.”

Mikey just nodded his head. In our silence, I heard the shower turn off.

“Gerard!” I yelled.

“What?” replied Gerard.

“Hurry up in there!” I yelled back. “Mikey’s here!”

“Ok!” he yelled.

A few minutes later Gerard came out.

“Hey Mikey,” he said, smiling at his little brother. “What are you doing here?”

“I just wanted to tell you someone Ray knows is having a party tonight and we’re all invited,” said Mikey.

“Ok,” said Gerard. “What time is it at?”

“Starts around 10,” said Mikey. He pulled a slip of paper out of his jeans pocket and handed it to Gerard. “That’s the address.”

“Ok,” said Gerard. “We’ll most likely see you there.”