Status: Completed

Stubborn

I'm not going to be this girl.

“You kissed the guy and you’re standing here telling me that you don’t feel anything for him,” Emma was practically standing on her bed as she confronted me about what happened the previous day with Jordan. I sighed as I drummed my fingers on my lips, searching my computer for any assignments I had missed. So far, the only thing I had to stress about was my English paper due in two weeks. Well, that and Emma.

“Can you just relax,” I said, turning away from my laptop to give her a stern look like the ones kindergarten teachers gave to misbehaving kids. Emma stared at me with wide eyes and I tried to keep a serious face. She was such a drama queen sometimes. “And how did you even find out?”

She shrugged and toppled backwards on the bed, making the old springs squeak in protest. “Max,” she said simply and grabbed her stuffed bear that Aaron had won for her at a carnival. Those two were such a clichéd couple.

“Of course,” I said, turning back to my laptop. News like this traveled fast among friends that didn’t know how to keep their mouths shut. I knew that Jordan must have told Max just to tell him, like I had with Emma. I’m sure he didn’t mean for everyone in Pittsburgh to find out. My fingers began moving fluidly on the keys, clicking away on the mouse pad, as I continued searching through the school website. “It was because of Lindsey,” I added, almost as an afterthought.

“Oh,” Emma said in understanding. I knew she would get it. Everyone who met Lindsey knew that she made you do crazy things. And that was exactly what that kiss was; Crazy. “So, you’re saying there’s nothing? No feelings?”

I shook my head, still looking at the computer screen. “And I don’t need you making things awkward so just shut up about it.” I cocked my head towards her, trying to add emphasis to my point. “And please don’t throw me any of your looks when I’m around him. It’s weird.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Emma said nonchalantly, picking at a loose thread on the bear’s nose. She lay back on her pillows, obviously knowing exactly what I was talking about. “So, then, you’ll be totally okay if we go to a party at Tyler’s house next week.”

I paused for a moment. “Yeah.” I finally said. “I’ll be more than okay.” I couldn’t deny that seeing Jordan again was going to be awkward, but we were mature adults and we had to get over it. He was, after all, the one urging me to get rid of all my inhibitions.

“Really?” she asked. The tone of disbelief was obvious in her voice.

I nodded. “Yes. And to prove it...I’ll bring Casey.” Emma was silent for a moment. “I know he’s not that big a sports fan, but I’m sure he’d love to come to a party with famous people.”

There was a long silence in the room, making me turn around to check if Emma was still awake. She was. And she was looking at me, once again, with those wide eyes and raised eyebrows. “Ookay,” she said, falling back against her pillows to stair up at the ceiling, “As long as this doesn’t blow up in your face.”

~

I walked down the dimly lit streets, pulling down my black skirt and adjusting my purple shirt. Like every time after I left the dorm for an event, I regretted my outfit choice. Either I didn’t feel comfortable in it, or I didn’t like the way it looked in the streetlights, or it was something of Emma’s that she’d insisted I wear. However, tonight it was because Casey’s eyes had wandered to my chest a few too many times. I adjusted the v-neck in a way that would make a nun cry.

“Are you nervous or something?” Casey asked from beside me, making me snap my head up to look at him with my hand still tugging on my shirt.

I heard Emma scoff from behind us and I narrowed my eyes at her. Aaron was oblivious to this silent battle between the two of us. He usually was. “No, I’m not nervous,” I said, turning back to Casey. It only just occurred to me how tall he actually was. I was so used to him sitting behind the counter at the bookstore that I’d forgotten he was just a regular guy with a wardrobe other than a red, polyester vest and nametag. “This shirt’s just a little uncomfortable.” His eyes swiftly darted to my chest again.

“I think it looks great,” he said with a small smile on his pink lips. That’s what I’m nervous about.

After we rounded a few corners, we finally found Tyler’s house. If the SUV in the driveway with the Stanley Cup sticker on the back wasn’t enough to tip us off then the crowed of people through the big, bay window was. Adjusting my skirt once more I led the four of us up the stone steps and knocked on the door. In almost a second, it was answered by none other than Tyler himself. He greeted us with a loud “hey!” before moving aside and letting us into the crowded house.

“This is my friend, Casey,” I said, nodding my head towards him. He smiled meekly and gave Tyler a friendly wave. From beside me, Aaron and Emma had begun talking to a few of the other guys before finally leaving and making their way deeper into the elaborate house.

Tyler, with a green beer bottle clutched in his hand, put an arm around Casey’s shoulders. “Do you like hockey, Case?”

I noticed that Casey’s shoulders were stiff at the motion of affection, but he played it cool. I smiled at how endearing he was all the time. He slid his hands into the pockets of his dark jeans casually. “I don’t really watch it,” he replied, somewhat hesitantly.

Tyler looked almost appalled, making me laugh. “Well, that’s gotta change.” He turned Casey around. “You see that room?” he asked, pointing to a set of French doors at the other end of the kitchen. A few bodies walked back and forth behind the windows, but none were distinguishable. Casey nodded. “My baby’s in there.” Both Casey and I stared at him, perplexed. He took a swig of beer and smacked his lips together. “Yup, that’s where my 70 inch Plasma TV is.”

I let out a laugh and shook my head hopelessly. Of course that would be the first thing a guy would mention; use it as a means of bonding. Casey, on the other hand, seemed almost awestruck once Tyler said this. Did I really expect anything different to happen in a house filled with testosterone?

“Really?!” he asked like a little kid on Christmas. “70 inches?!” I had never seen Casey so excited about anything before. That really made me realize how much of a guy he actually was. Men were like cats; dangle something shiny or fancy in front of them and you’re sure to keep their attention for a long time.

“Yeah, man,” Tyler said. “You wanna see it. A few of the guys are watching the Islanders game in there. I think it’s about time your hockey tutoring begins.” Casey nodded instantly and threw a small goodbye my way before following Tyler into the ‘man-cave’...is that the proper name?

Deciding to familiarize myself a bit with Tyler’s house, I began my exploration. The kitchen, the living room, the hallways. All were full of conversing people; some of which were guys from the team and some I had never seen before. Finally finishing my scan of the house, I went into the kitchen. Jordan was there, opening himself a bottle of beer. It had been a week; had the initial shock of what happened between us worn off? He looked up once I walked in and smiled my way. He quickly tossed the bottle cap into the garbage and walked towards me as I leaned against the marble-top island.

“So, did Mr.Bookstore finally grow a pair and make a move?” What a way to start a conversation. Only Jordan could pull something like that off and pretend it was a legitimate question. He took a sip of his beer, leaning back against the wall with one hand in his pocket, and waited for me to answer. And how had he even managed to see Casey? He was in the main hall for only a few minutes before Tyler whisked him away to every man’s fantasy.

“No,” I replied simply. Jordan had the bottle raised to his lips, but let it hover for a moment once I replied. He raised his eyebrows, slightly confused. “I was the one who made the move.” He put the bottle to his lips and diverted his eyes to the ceiling. For a second, I could notice the flicker of shock on his face, but he’d managed to compose himself and put on that cool demeanor he was known for. “I figured that since Emma was bringing a date, I might as well too.” I searched his face for anything that might tell me I’d made a mistake bringing Casey, but there was nothing. Exactly what I expected.

Jordan just took an irregularly long sip of his beer then made a snarl with his lips as the alcohol burned its way down his esophogus, finally hitting his stomach. “Well, that’s good. I guess this bet is actually changing you after all.”

I nodded. “I guess so.” There was a long silence between us where I studied Jordan Staal. His blonde hair was perfectly dishevelled, the way so many movie stars worked hard to achieve. His eyes were pools of bright blue, even in the dim lighting of the kitchen. He wore a blue polo shirt and dark jeans. Everything about him screamed cool and composed. I hated it.

“I’m gonna go see what TK is up to,” he finally said, pushing himself up off the wall. I nodded then watched him walk out of the kitchen.

~

“I bet you’ve figure out by now that Alex is a virgin.”

My eyes widened as the words came out of Jordan’s mouth in a drawl. By the glazed look in his eyes, I knew he was drunk. Casey stared at him for a moment, shocked. Jordan’s arm was heavy on my shoulders as he leaned most of his body weight on me. His breath reeked of beer and whatever other drinks he’d decided to have that night.

“I mean, there’s no other explanation for the stick up her ass,” he continued; the half empty beer bottle flailing about in his hand. “Figuratively, I mean. Otherwise she wouldn’t technically be a virgin in that specific – ”

“Can you just shut up?!” I yelled, pushing his arm off of my shoulder and nudging him in the stomach. He teetered slightly on his feet and I reluctantly caught on to his bicep to prevent him from falling. “Just don’t listen to him,” I said to Casey. He just nodded, his brow furrowed. “I’ll be right back.” With my hand firmly around Jordan’s arm, I dragged him along with me in search of Tyler.

He stood at the other end of the enormous living room, talking with Max.

“How many beers did you give him?” I demanded as Jordan stumbled along after me. I let go of his arm, only to see him teeter again. Max quickly grabbed onto his shirt, keeping him up.

Tyler raised his hands up in defence. “I’m not his mom,” he said. “I didn’t give him anything. He just took them.” Luckily, the conversations flowing about in the room were too loud for anyone to hear what was going on. Jordan wobbled next to Max with that smirk that would otherwise have looked charming, but only looked goofy at this particular moment. He would be the first one at the party to get piss drunk. Sometimes, he was just so predictable.

“The guy can’t even stand,” Max said, holding Jordan steady by the collar of his shirt. Tyler just shrugged. “We can’t let him drive home.” I gave Casey a look, wondering what exactly he was making of all this hockey player business. He hadn’t known Jordan long enough, but I knew he was piecing everything together.

I sighed, knowing that what I was about to do probably wouldn’t turn out well. “I’ll drive him home,” I said. It was obvious in both Tyler and Max’s eyes that none of them wanted to drive Jordan home. The least I could do for Tyler’s hospitality was spare them Jordan’s craziness for one night.

Max looked at Jordan then at me. “You sure?”

“Guys, I’m fine,” Jordan protested in a slur of words. He slapped Max’s hand away, only to start falling backwards before Max and I grabbed either one of his arms to hold him up again.

“Yeah,” I said, ignoring Jordan. “I came with Aaron so I’ll just drive Jordan home then get him to come pick me up from there.” Max nodded at the reasonable solution. “Where are his keys?”

“Pockets,” Tyler replied and I began digging my hands through his deep pockets, both front and back.

“Ooh,” Jordan said softly. “I like being frisked.”

“Just shut up,” I replied flatly before fishing his keys out. I made sure Max was holding on to Jordan securely before I walked back to Casey with the car keys gripped tightly in my hand.

“Is everything okay?” he asked as I approached.

I nodded. “Yeah, I just have to drive Jordan home because he’s wasted.” I noticed the disappointed look on his face. “And even though the guy is aggravating, I don’t want him to die.” Casey nodded in understanding and I gave him a quick hug in thanks before walking back to Jordan and Max. After getting a few directions scribbled down on a scrap piece of paper from Max, I grabbed hold of Jordan’s arm and dragged him along to the front door. Luckily, he was able to walk without too much assistance because it wouldn’t have worked out if I had to carry him. I pressed the lock button on the car keys and noticed a black car in the distance light up. Carefully, I pulled Jordan down the front steps and to the car, sliding him into the passenger seat. The ride was relatively silent, which I was happy about. Either Jordan was too drunk to form words or he just didn’t want to talk. Either way, it was fine by me.

Finally reaching the apartment building, I parked the car by the curb outside and pulled Jordan out of the passenger seat. I knew people stared at us as I held his arm all the way through the main lobby to the elevators, but the primary thing on my mind was getting him to his place before he crashed.

The door of his apartment unlocked effortlessly, making me jealous. There was no jiggling involved. I turned on a few lights, bringing colour to the otherwise pitch darkness. The apartment was pretty much what I expected it to be; something that was obviously decorated by an interior designer. There were a few pictures, trophies, and loose articles of clothing thrown here and there, making it look more like a guys apartment. Closing the door behind me, I pulled Jordan along as I searched for his bed room.

“Last one on the right,” he mumbled from behind me. I walked to the last room and turned on the lights. Unlike the rest of the apartment, the bedroom definitely looked like a man was living there. Boxers, shirts, and jeans were all tossed on the ground, leaving little carpet to walk on. As soon as we were close enough to the bed, I pushed him down on it. “Easy,” he groaned, the springs making him bounce as he fell back with shut eyes.

“Sorry,” I replied, watching him squint up at me. It was strange to see him so quiet and vulnerable. The Jordan Staal I knew always had a smirk on his face and a stance that would make a Greek sculpture jealous. Now, as he lay on the bed, he looked two-dimensional.

“I guess this night is ruined,” I mumbled, mostly to myself. With Jordan in his almost comatose state on the bed, I didn’t think he could really hear anything I was saying. And yet, as the words came out of my mouth, I noticed a smile spread on his pink lips, revealing his teeth.

“It doesn’t have to be,” he replied then reached forward and wrapped his long fingers around my wrist, pulling me down next to him on the bed. He was definitely good at bouncing back from things. Letting go of my wrist, he rolled on top of me and locked our lips. I could feel the heat from his body flow into mine as the taste of alcohol enveloped my mouth. His tongue roamed freely and, for a good while, I didn’t refuse. I then felt his hand slide up my skirt, clutching my thigh tightly and getting higher by the second.

I pushed my hands against his chest, parting our lips with a soft smack. “I’m not going to be this girl,” I said as he stared down at me; his blue eyes now clouded. “The girl who hooks up with a drunk guy, knowing that it will all end badly.” I moved myself away from the warmth of his body and stood up. “Just go to sleep, Jordan.” He stared up at me, his face somewhat confused. “I’ll stay the night to make sure you’re okay, but this can’t happen.” I turned around and walked to the door.

Before I could make it past the threshold Jordan mumbled, “I guess the bet is over.”

I looked over at him, furrowing my brow. “Why?”

He breathed in and let his head sink back into the pillows; his eyes closing. “Because I gave into the kiss.” I thought back to that day in front of Lindsey where Jordan’s hands grasped my hips with eagerness and his tongue danced with mine willingly. I watched him as his breath deepened and his chest began rising slower and slower until, finally, he was asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I couldn't wait to continue this story!!
This chapter turned out fairly long and a lot happens in it :)
I'm actually getting really excited...so tell me what you guys think!

Thanks so much to all the amazing comments!!! :)