Status: Not sure if I'm back yet. But I'm going to try updating when I can - Dee 1/4/11

It Led Me Straight to You

01

“Jessica!” My black heels clinked across the floor as I crossed the room to my cousin.

“Baby girl,” she whispered the familiar name against my hair. She was only two years older than me, the closest I ever had to a sister. “It’ll be okay.”

I sighed, my body calming from the familiarity. “Everyone’s showing up, we should go sit.”

We didn’t sit with our parents, we found a place for ourselves with Jeffery, it had always been the three of us growing up, and his girlfriend Heather.

Jess and I leaned against each other as the priest talked; his voice echoed through the circular room, the soft sound of crying audible just beneath the boom.

It all becomes a blur, the Bible references. This man did not know Grandma, he only knew what people had told him when he was writing this speech, it all felt so cheap.

“You want to ride with me, baby girl?” Even though she was shorter than me, her fingers played with my hair.

“Yeah, Jessica.” I locked eyes with my dad, gesturing to Jess. He nodded.

Jess linked her arm with mine, Jimmy Eat World on the stereo caused a few tears to fall from each of us on the ride over.

There were a few cars at the hall our parents had rented. Just a little VFW, the same place we had Grandma’s birthday just over a year ago. A white van was parked in the corner. “I told the boys they didn’t have to come,” Jess muttered, turning the key out of the ignition.

“Jess, come here and give your favorite Gomez a hug,” the older looking of the two spoke.

She pulled them both into a hug, “I told you guys you didn’t have to come.”

“We wanted to be here for you.” This time the younger one spoke, his voice still trying to settle on a key.

“This is my cousin Aniella.”

“From all the pictures at your house.” I smiled awkwardly as they looked at me.

“Way to introduce yourself, genius. I’m Stephen, this is my brother John.” Stephen still had an arm around Jess’ shoulders.

“We’re really sorry,” I shook my head, hoping to silence him before the tears started. “Can I?” He held his arms open. I was so used to being embraced like this after the past few days that I fell into him like he was my last hope.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is short, sorry. But John's in it, so I thought that'd make up for it. So on top of Contempt, I now have two cowrites, one is about Jake Bundrick and the other is a Gomez story unlike anything either of us has seen before. It would mean a lot if you checked those out

:)
<3 Dee