Status: Not sure if I'm back yet. But I'm going to try updating when I can - Dee 1/4/11

It Led Me Straight to You

07

I washed my face and brushed my teeth, pulling my sweatshirt over my shirt just as my phone vibrated to tell me I received a text. I rolled my eyes, making my way down the hall to the front door. I stood in the doorframe, leaning against it as I waited for them to get to the door. “Mom, they’re here.”

John was trying to flatten his hair on his head, I smiled. Stephen was just wearing his standard smirk, his default, I suppose. “Hey, Ella.” John smiled brightly.

“Mom, this is John, this is Stephen,” I said to her, pointing to each in turn. “Okay, can we go now?’

I rolled my eyes, leaning against the door, quietly talking with John as my mother interrogated Stephen’s driving record.

“And you’re John?” Her eyes turned to him. He nodded. “And how old are you?”

“Sixteen.” He actually looked nervous, despite his words before.

My mother looked him up and down in the worst way possible, the way I’ve only ever seen her do. She looks at him like she can see into your soul.

“Okay, we’ve got to go soon or we’ll be late,” I headed out the door, grabbing an arm from each of them to pull them with me.

“Thank you,” John whispered. I smiled, my mother was known to have that effect on people. “So what classes are you in, since we never see you?”

I could feel my cheeks flush with warmth. “I really like to learn.”

John raised an eyebrow, “You know I have ways of finding out if you won’t tell me…”

“You’re going to think I’m a nerd,” I said in a sing-song tone.

“Just tell him, he’ll honestly stop any person he can in the hallway to ask if they have class with you.” Stephen sighed, signaling as he pulled to a stop at a red sign.

“I’m in AP US history and AP economics, honors English, Chemistry, Pre Calc, then I’m in advanced foods, and Spanish four.” John stared jaw dropped at me. “I told you you’d think I was a nerd.”

“No it’s just…man, that’s a lot of school.”

“You don’t want to know what I have planned then…”

He shook his head with a smile, “No, I probably don’t.”

“So, we making this a regular thing?” Stephen broke the few seconds of silence that threatened to drag on.

“Well, if you’re willing to, it’d be awesome.” I shot him a smile in the rearview mirror.

“You’re on the way, it’s no problem. And if I don’t, I’m pretty sure I’ll have to listen to John complain about me not doing it if we didn’t keep this up.”

“John, don’t you dare throw something at him,” I glared at him, pinning his wrists to his lap.

He sighed, breaking free of my grasp and turning his attention to the window.
♠ ♠ ♠
...this week has had a scarily light work load...I'm worried what next week will have.