Status: Completed.

The Only Thing Left

Chapter Three

Samuel and Anna were laughing hysterically as they stumbled to her dorm room she was staying in. Just after those few simple hours together, they had gotten to know each other more than Samuel knew his own parents. He had found out that Anna had no idea where her parents were.

She told him that one day they had gone to the market to get some bread. Her mother had asked her to go down the street to the butcher’s to get some meat. Her thirteen-year-old self did as her mother asked, and she went and got the meat. But when she came back, her mother was not there waiting for her. She went in the store looking for her, but the man behind the counter said that her mother had left, so she checked down the street, but could not find her. Anna liked the believe that her mother had been kidnapped, and that she wouldn’t just leave her like that, but the older she got, the harder it was to believe that. Ever since that day, she’s been caring for herself, traveling around the world with no destination. She honestly didn’t mind. It was nice to see all the sights around the world, but it would also help if she had some money. She stole the food she ate, and she lived on the streets. Always on the move, she never got a job to save up money for a place of her own. The only reason she was able to snatch a ticket for this ship was because she was playing poker with a group of people on the streets, and the prize was a one passenger ticket. Of course, she cheated in the game to get the ticket, but she quickly ran with the ticket before they could find out and get her.

Samuel told her all about the problems he has with his family, wishing he could be free from their tight hold. He explained how he was being forced to marry a girl named Willafred, whom he’s never known a day in his life. Anna of course thought that was terrible. She hated the idea of having to marry someone you barely know, and you should be free to marry the person you love. He just simply told her that it was not about love, but about keeping money to the family name. Willafred had a lot of money, and that was why he was being forced to marry her.

“Tonight was the best night in my entire life,” Samuel said breathlessly to Anna. “I only wish it could never end.”

The night’s events went through their minds as they tried to regain their breath.

When they first reached the lower class dining hall, loud music could be heard throughout the entire downstairs part of the ship. That was how the lower class had fun. They danced on top of the tables and drank beer on tap until they passed out, and even then their dreams would be filled of dancing and drinking. Anna convinced Samuel to let go and have some fun, and he happily obliged. Him and Anna got on top of a table and started dancing crazily. Samuel looked a bit out of place since all he was used to was proper and slow dancing, but he made himself let go and give in to the music. Everyone cheered them on as they took over an entire table and danced their hearts out. That was the first time Samuel had ever had fun with a large group of people.

“I feel the same, Samuel. I had more fun with you tonight than I’ve ever had, even when I was still with my parents.” They locked eyes for a moment, neither one wanting to let go.

With hesitation, Samuel lifted his hand to Anna’s face and brushed some stray hair behind her ear. He let his hand linger there on the side of her face for a few more moments, and then started rubbing this thumb in circles just below her temple. She closed her eyes and leaned into his touch. “So beautiful,” She heard him whisper.

Anna opened her eyes and looked into Samuel’s blue ones. They were no longer gray or lifeless. They had changed to a lighter shade of blue and now held a sparkle to them.

Suddenly, she saw his eyes glance down at her lips, and then quickly back up to meet her eyes. He was trying to be discreet about it, she could tell, but failed miserably when she saw his eyes glance back down.

“Anna, please forgive me for being forward, but…” Samuel started, staring deeply into her eyes. “May I kiss you?” He ended it in such a low whisper, Anna could barely hear him. But she did, and she widened her eyes at him. After a few moments, she felt herself gently nod.
Samuel leaned into her, taking it slowly. He kept his eyes on hers as he crept closer and closer, until their noses were touching. He closed his eyes, not being able to hold back any longer, and kissed Anna fully on the lips. She stood stiff at first, not used to the feeling coursing through her veins, but then her lips started moving in sync with his.

Samuel didn’t try to deepen the kiss. Of course, that would be improper. But when he went to pull away, Anna quickly grabbed his face with her hands and pulled him in, deepening the kiss. How could he resist?

“Damn, guys, get a fucking room.” A man passed the two in the hallway, obviously drunk, and laughed at how intimate they were being in public. They quickly pulled away, their cheeks flushing a deep shade of red at their behavior. Samuel waited for the drunken idiot to pass until he spoke.

“Ah- Forgive me, Anna. That was completely out of line and I was very wrong to even ask you when I have only known you for a few mere hours…”

Anna cut him off. “No, please. Don’t be sorry.” They both locked eyes. “I actually quite enjoyed it, if you don’t mind me saying,” She added quietly. A smile formed on Samuel’s lips.

“The feelings are mutual with me,” He said. Anna returned his smile, the butterflies inside her stomach slowly turning into an atomic bomb.

Samuel leaned in again, and kissed her. Before the kiss had time to progress, the ship suddenly jolted and a loudBOOM was heard throughout the entire ship, as if a gun was shot right next to a microphone. The two quickly pulled apart and stared at each other, the same look of fear apparent on both of their faces.

“Samuel, w-what was that,” Anna whispered.

Samuel shook his head. “I have no idea, dear.” They both looked up as scurried footsteps sounded above the ceiling. Samuel looked back at Anna. “I shall be right back.” Before he could walk away, Anna grabbed his arm.

“Please, don’t leave. What if something is wrong?” She looked at him with wide eyes. He came back over to her.

“I promise I will come back to get you. I will not let anything happen to you.” He put cupped her cheek with his hand and lightly kissed her forehead. He wanted so badly to let his lips linger there, but knew he had to hurry. With one quick glance, he turned and ran down the hall to go find the source of the noise.

Anna stayed in the hall, pressed up against her door as she watched people running around and asking anyone they saw if they knew the source of the noise. She saw men sprinting down the corridor, probably to find an attendant to give them some answers, and women watching the men, fear evident on their faces. For once, she felt just like they did. At a time like this, it’s incredibly hard to see the person who means most to you leave you and not know if or when they’re coming back.

She shook her head and closed her eyes, trying hard to calm herself. She could already feel her eyes stinging with tears, and she wanted to stay strong for Samuel. It seemed ridiculous for her to feel so much towards him after only knowing him for a few hours, but she couldn’t deny her feelings. She wouldn’t call it love, but it was definitely something strong and powerful, and she wanted nothing more than to see him run down the corridor to her and hold her, telling her everything is fine.

Another jolt from the ship and a loud, groaning noise coming from beneath her feet broke her of her thoughts and caused her to let out a yelp. This jolt was worse than the first. The floor shook and everyone around her dropped to the floor. Screams could be heard throughout the entire corridor, and even some above her. She moved to crouch on the floor and hugged her knees to her chest. She closed her eyes again and prayed for Samuel to come back. She knew something was definitely wrong with the ship, but at least having him there with her could calm her a little.

As if God had heard her prayers, she felt someone crouch down beside her and cup her face with their hands. She gasped and looked up to see Samuel close to her, looking at her with wide eyes. She immediately fell into his arms and cried out, “Oh, you’re alright! I was so worried about you, Samuel!” She grabbed his jacket with her fists, trying to bring him closer to her.

He wrapped his arms tight around her tiny waist and kissed her head. “Yes, darling. I am right here.”

Anna could feel the tears coming to her eyes again, threatening to fall, but she held them back. She pulled away and looked up at Samuel. “What’s wrong? What’s happening to the ship?”

The fear in Samuel’s eyes matched that of Anna’s. “I know not, but the attendants are ordering everyone off the ship and onto lifeboats. If we leave now, we can make it onto one. We can be safe together.” He reached up and rubbed his fingers across her cheek.

Anna could no longer hold back the tears that were threatening to fall as realization swept across her. “Oh, Samuel…” She started as the tears fell, “you and I both know they only let the upper class go first, and there can’t possibly be enough lifeboats for every single person on this ship.”

He furrowed his eyebrows, refusing to believe her heartbreaking, yet true statement. “No. No, they will let you on. Y-you are a woman, and they always let the women go first. So if anything you…”

Anna cut him off, more tears spilling down her cheeks. “But I’m not wearing any fancy clothes. According to them, I have nothing to lose if I die. And they’re right. No one will miss me. I have no home to miss if I go.”

Samuel cupped her face in his hands and squeezed. His eyes became serious as they started glazing over with tears. “No, you have me. I will be heartbroken if you leave me, Anna. You cannot go.” He kept his voice firm even though his insides were trembling as hard as the ship.

Another jolt of the ship, and suddenly the ship started tilting on its side. People started screaming and running around worse than before. Anna turned back to Samuel after all the chaos. “Samuel you have to go. If you stay too long, I fear it’ll be too late for you. You’re family is probably…”

Samuel cut her off this time. “No! Anna, no. I am not leaving you. If you go down with this ship, then so do I.” He stated firmly, pulling the broken girl into his arms and holding her tight.

“Oh, Samuel,” Anna wept into his shoulder. As much as she wanted to see him safe with his family, she knew she couldn’t change his mind.

“Anna, let us get out of here. We might still be able to make it off the ship, even without a lifeboat. We can grab something that floats and stay on it as we follow the boats to safety. Please, let us go now.” He pulled away and stared at her with hopeful eyes.

Anna’s eyes just widened in disbelief. “Samuel, the waters are too cold. We will never make it to safety, even if we could find something float-able to help hold us up, we would still die from the freezing water.”

“And? If we stay on this ship, we die. If we go now and find something to float on, we could either die or be saved. It is worth the risk, am I correct?”

Anna knew he had a point, but she still didn’t like it. “And prolong our death? Why not just get it over with now? Why wait,” She asked him, as the ship started tilting farther and they both started to slide.

Samuel held her close as he got ready to stand up and run. “Because every moment spent with you is not a wasted one. I would rather spend as much time left as I can get with you.” Anna looked at him, desperately trying to find some way out, but one look in his eyes and she gave in.

“Then we must hurry.”

Samuel quickly got up and grabbed hold of Anna’s hand, pulling her through the corridor and up a few stairs to the lower class main deck. There were people running around and trying to grab hold of something to keep them steady as the ship kept tilting with each passing minute. Samuel could easily see that the ship was sinking at a rapid pace. He looked up and saw the upper class boarding the lifeboats on their main deck. It made him sick to look at them, so he looked around and tried to find something big enough for him and Anna to float on. “Samuel, over there,” Anna shouted, pointing to a barrel about ten feet away from where they stood. Samuel let go of her hand and quickly went to go grab it.

“Here, Anna you will have to hold onto me. Do not let go, whatever you do! The water will be so cold, your muscles might not let you hold on, but you must. Do you understand?” Samuel had to shout over all the noise going on. Anna quickly nodded her head and grabbed a hold of his waist, preparing to not let go.

“Wait a second,” Samuel said, pulling away from Anna and setting the barrel aside. He started taking off his jacket and quickly put it around Anna’s shoulders and ordered her to put her arms through.

She turned to him. “Samuel, what are you doing? You’ll make yourself colder!” She stared at him wide-eyed.

“I will feel more comfortable knowing you have this on. Now please, put it on.” He held it out to her. With more tears coming down her face, she unwillingly obliged and put her arms through each hole in the jacket. Once she was safe inside his jacket, Samuel grabbed the barrel with one arm and put his other tightly around Anna’s waist. “Hold on tightly to the barrel and to me. The fall might break you from the barrel, but I will never let you go.”

She nodded as a sob escaped her mouth. One arm went around Samuel’s waist as the other grabbed a hold of the barrel as best she could. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw other people jumping off the boat just like they were going to do, but they didn’t have something to help them float. She even noticed that some people who jumped in, didn’t come back up to the surface from under the water. It was an incredibly high jump and both of their hearts were racing as they stood up on the railing. They glanced at each other before they jumped off the ship and into the ice cold water below.

Anna’s whole body froze as her body touched the water. She felt stiff and couldn’t even move and inch. It felt as though a million needles were pricking her skin, numbing her whole body. It wasn’t until she felt that familiar arm around her waist and pull her upwards that she started trying to push up to the surface. She thought it was minutes before she finally reached the surface, when in reality it was only a few seconds. She gasped for breath and her body stiffened once again as the breeze above the water burned her face. Samuel pulled her close to his body and lifted her upper half onto the barrel as he started pushing them towards the lifeboats that were starting to drift away.

Anna couldn’t even help Samuel swim them over to the group of people her body was so numb. She tried many times, but found that only short breaths could escape her mouth, making it hard for her to breathe.

“Anna darling, are you feeling alright?” She heard Samuel ask from beside her, his arm still around her waist. She tried to answer him, but still only the short breaths could come out of her mouth. He softly kissed her head. “Stop. I do not want you to hurt yourself. As long as you are still breathing, I am okay.”

Suddenly, something thick and heavy hit Anna in the head, and as much as she tried to stay awake for Samuel, her world slowly started to become black.

***

Anna awoke to bright lights all around her. She could faintly here the sounds of people talking and feet shuffling around, but her eyes wouldn’t open for her. She struggled after a few minutes, becoming afraid of all that was around her. She stretched her arms out, looking for any sign of Samuel. Once she couldn’t find him, her eyes immediately opened without her control and she was looking around at a blurry room. She blinked a few times to regain her focus. Once she could finally see, she squinted her eyes to see a nurse looking down at her.

“How are you feeling,” The nurse asked softly.

Anna didn’t respond. She honestly didn’t care how she was feeling at the moment; all she cared about was finding Samuel. “W-where’s Samuel,” She asked, her voice sounding raspy.

“I’m sorry, who?” Anna looked around her and saw a bunch of nurses dressed the same, walking around or caring to people lying on tiny beds. It didn’t look like a hospital she was in, but more of a big room with large glass windows surrounding the entire place, letting the sun come in from the outside. There was a door on one side of the enormous room, and more people were being wheeled in on gurneys, unmoving.

“Where am I,” Anna asked, and then added louder, “Where’s Samuel?!” She glared at the nurse above her.

The nurse gave her a confused look. “Was Samuel the young man beside you hanging onto the barrel?”

Anna’s eyes lit up. “Yes. Yes! That’s him! Where is he?” Anna started looking around her, searching for Samuel on each of the patient beds.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, sweetie. He didn’t make it,” The nurse said.

Everything in Anna’s vision suddenly went blurry again. She couldn’t hear what was being said around her, nor did she care. Her Samuel was dead. He, one of the upper class, didn’t make it while she, one of the lower class and with nothing to live for, lived. She literally could feel her heart breaking as she laid her head back down on the hard pillow beneath her and cried. She sobbed and didn’t stop, even when the nurse was trying to comfort her.
Anna covered her face with her hands, trying to drown out everything around her. She didn’t want to live anymore. When she jumped off that ship, she still has that sliver of hope that her and Samuel would make it and continue their life together. But now everything was gone. He left her, and this time, he was never coming back.

Anna suddenly felt something cold and metal around her finger on her left hand. Still crying, she slowly pulled her hand away from her face.

And there, on her ring finger, was an engagement ring that looked painfully familiar to the one Samuel was going to give Willafred.