Status: In progress! :)

One in a Million

"It's really good to hear your voice say my name. It sounds so sweet."

Aalia drove home as carefully as she could, never exceeding 30 miles per hour or separating the cell phone from her ear. For the first time in weeks, she was actually excited. Her heart was pounding at the new, mysterious idea. She just wanted to keep talking to him and hearing his voice. She knew any other person would stay clear of such a daring situation, but she had nothing else to lose. Call her crazy, call her stupid – but she had faith in him.

“You really don’t think this is creepy?” she heard him ask as she stuck her key into the lock and opened the door.

“If you keep saying that, I’m gonna start to believe it, “she laughed, throwing the shopping bag onto her bed and taking a seat cross-legged on the couch. She wondered what he was doing at that very moment. She pictured him sitting in a similar position, possibly surrounded by schoolwork or listening to music in his bedroom. The visual of him in her mind was constantly changing – she was so indecisive even about her own imagination.

“You’re really different,” he said, “I know that any other girl, at least the ones I’ve met, would be freaked.”

She shrugged. “You must not know very many nice girls then. I dunno, something just tells me to listen.”

Aalia awaited a response, but he was quiet.

“By the way,” she continued, “You know my name, but I don’t know yours. Can we fix this problem?”

He chuckled. “You don’t wanna know my name.”

“Um, I definitely just asked for it. So yes, I do.”

He remained silent, hesitant to tell her the truth.

“Is it an embarrassing name or something?” she laughed, “’Cause trust me, I’ve had my fair share of that. You have no idea how many people get my name wrong. I’m surprised you did, to be quite honest.”

She could feel herself beginning to babble, but she liked it. She liked the nervous feeling talking to him was giving her.

“No, it’s not really embarrassing,” he said, smiling, “A lot of people can say it right. Too many, actually…”

“So tell me.” She reached down to unbuckle her heels and kicked them to the side.

There was a long pause as she waited for his name.

“I’ll tell you my name after you play a game with me,” he finally said.

She bit her lip gently. “All my clothes are staying on.”

He laughed. “Well, damn.” She giggled along with him, thankful her statement hadn’t made things awkward. “I actually meant Twenty Questions if that’s okay.”

“That’s perfectly fine,” she said, grinning.

“Alright. Ladies first.”

“What’s your name?”

She heard him laugh out loud and to her, the sound was beautiful.

“Nice try.”

She groaned and tried to play along. “Fine. How old are you?”

“I’m seventeen,” he answered quickly. He sounded almost rehearsed, as if he got asked that question too many times, “But I’ll be eighteen in September and people always tell me I act older than my age.”

“So you’re pretty mature,” she guessed, not really caring that he was younger than her – but if he was sixteen or younger, she knew it would tip the creepiness scale just a bit.

“I guess so. I’ve kinda been forced to be, but then again, I’m always compared to my brothers and they’re major dorks.”

Aalia smiled as the visual of him in her mind morphed, adding siblings to the scene. It was a comforting picture, seeing as how she was an only child.

“That’s really cool actually,” she said, “I just turned eighteen a few weeks ago, so the age difference isn’t that big.”

“That’s a relief,” he sighed, “Most of my friends are older than me. So my turn?”

“Yup.”

“Alright. What was the last song you listened to in the car?”

She tried to think back to the last time she’d driven. Right after he’d called her, she’d rushed to turn down the radio. She was more surprised that he barely had to think of a question – he already had it waiting to be asked.

“You probably don’t know it…” she said, embarrassed. She thought of lying and changing the song, but that’d be breaking the rules. She wanted to stay true to him.

“Try me.”

“It’s called ‘Burnin’ Up,’” she almost mumbled, “By the Jonas Brothers.”

She heard him chuckle softly. “So you like them?”

“I guess. My friend Dylan loves their music, so I was kind of forced to get into it too.”

“Oh,” he said, “A guy likes their music. Never heard that before.”

Aalia smiled. “Nah, Dylan’s a chick – a very boyish chick, but still a chick.”

He laughed, almost sounding relieved. “Oh okay. Well, that’s cool. I’ve listened to a couple of their songs.”

“They’re pretty decent,” Aalia continued, “Dylan loves that song. She says it’s a sex song.”

His laughing grew louder. “A sex song? Definitely haven’t heard that before.”

“Ha, yeah. I like some of their more intimate songs. I dunno, I guess I’m just a sap.”

“No, I agree,” he said.

“So I guess it’s my turn now.”

“You guess right.”

“Okay.” She took a moment to think of a question. She knew there were millions to be asked, but she couldn’t pick the perfect one. She wanted to make the most of her remaining nineteen questions and learn as much about him as possible. Just as she was about to open her mouth, he interrupted her.

“Aw, crap. Actually, I have to go.”

Her heart sank. “Oh. Okay…”

“I’m sorry. My brothers need me for something.”

“It’s alright,” she said, fiddling with the ring on her finger.

“When can we talk again?” he asked.

She smiled, pleased with herself that he still wanted to talk to her.

“Whenever’s fine for you,” she said.

“Okay. Sounds good.”

“Bye, Nameless Person.”

He chuckled. “Bye, Aalia.”

When the line went dead, she had goose bumps. The way he said her name made her shiver. Dangerous, edgy, mysterious chills ran down her spine – but she loved it.

And she couldn’t wait to talk to him again.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's gonna get much more exciting soon, don't worry. :)
I've just been so busy with school. Ugh.
Anyone out there in high school right now, I feel your pain.

Special thanks to:
roses4ever21
C'est Moi C:
invisible;;
JunkFoodJunkie
nat1016
kayleeLAUREN
cosmic kiss-
love_is_love
For all your lovely comments. <3

Please comment and tell me what you think!
Much love always.
xoxo

PS: Anyone who has Twitter, add me!
@heyhibster