Status: Active

Never Thought I'd Take the Fall

You're Bringing a Guest?

It all started with a movie. Everything would’ve been so different without that god damn thing. In fact, Pixar should be ashamed of themselves for causing so much trouble.

Only a few days into the year, we were sitting in Honors Biology, the last class of the day and one of the few classes I had with all of my friends and him. It was just before the bell, and the teacher had left us to ourselves since apparently, we could be trusted.

So, naturally, the whole class was caught up in conversation around the room. Except for me. I, for one, zoned out while looking at the clock, hoping the bell would ring and I could finally get home. No one tried to talk to me as far as I knew, but it wasn’t until my best friend, Joy, spoke up, that I actually paid attention to what was going on around me.

“You’re seeing Up tomorrow, too?!” I heard her exclaim in her recognizable, energetic voice. My head immediately snapped toward where her voice came from to listen, since I was kind of involved. I was seeing it with her.

The moment I turned to where Joy was sitting, my eyes locked on the bleach-blonde haired boy sitting right next to her, nodding his head like an idiot, and my eyebrow was soon lifted. He’s probably new, I thought, pushing my bangs out of my eyes. He was cute, to say the least; it didn’t surprise me that Joy was trying to be his welcome committee.

Abruptly, my neighbor, Kevin, pushed his chair up to her lab table and sat down on it backwards. “Uhduh, Joy…” He rested his chin in the palm of his hand and picked at the chipping paint on the desk with his free hand. “He’s my guest. I told you I was bringing one.”

“I thought you meant Rob, or something. I don’t know.” She shrugged, pulling on a lock of her long hair; something she usually did when she was embarrassed.

Kevin sighed while Rob looked at her, exasperated and confused. “What the hell, Joy?! I go every single time. I wouldn’t be a guest.”

“Shut up, Rob.” she snapped, suddenly angry. She gathered her books just as the bell rang and jumped up from her seat.

I did the same and hurried over to them, tugging on Rob’s arm before he could dart out of the room, “Are you still staying over tonight?” I asked hopefully, barely above a whisper. He looked back at me with a grin before I figured out that I hadn’t been quiet enough.

“Why weren’t we invited?” Kevin and Joy recited at the same time as if it was planned, with looks of suspicion on their faces. They must have seen me stop Rob and thought that that was their cue to stop as well.

“He’s just helping me do something,” I explained quickly, but they both kept the same expressions on their summer-tanned faces.

“With what? Like, making a baby?”

Before I could respond, Kevin spoke up, “Dude, did you get protection? 'Cause if not, I totally got your back, bro.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a condom, tossing it at Rob. “Use it wisely.”

He didn’t even flinch, causing it to fall swiftly to the ground. “I don’t want to know why you carry that around.”

Kevin smiled, “Hey, I never know when some girls just gonna come up to me, asking for sex.”

“Right,” Rob laughed, rolling his eyes. He picked it up off the ground, throwing it back at him, “Well, I can assure you we won’t need that tonight.” Without another word, he pulled the strap to his messenger bag up higher on his shoulder and strode out of the room.

“AW! Robby and Kristy want to start a family together!” Joy spoke in a baby voice and followed him with a bounce in her step, leaving Kevin and I only to trail behind shortly after.

--

“So what exactly are you hiding, Miss Johnson?” Kevin glanced at me with anticipation before looking back into his locker to grab another binder and finally close the door shut.

“Why do you think I’m hiding something, Mister Bard?” I did the same, smiling slightly. I started walking down the hall, knowing he’d follow suit.

“Oh, I don’t know. I just thought you’d give your best friends since pre-K a legitimate reason as to why Robert is staying over without us…or at least specify what he would be helping you with, is all.”

I sighed and stopped short in front of the main entrance to look at him. He ceased as well, giving me a look between the puppy dog face and an angry one. I hoisted my backpack up and continued looking at him. It’s not like he’d freak out if I told him. It wasn’t even anything worth freaking out about in the first place. I had no reason at all to hide it, either.

“He’s just helping me with math, okay?” I turned back around and started walking out the doors. I succeeded to get as far as the sidewalk in front of the school before Kevin stopped me again.

“And why couldn’t you tell Joy this?” He stared down at me, looking genuinely concerned.

“She’d tease me. I mean, she’s so good at math, she brags about it.”

“She’s Asian, she’s naturally good at math. ...Not to be racist or anything, but you know it's true!”

I laughed, knowing full well he just tried to lighten the mood and giving him the satisfaction that he wanted. We both sat down at the curb. As we waited patiently for my brother to bring his car around to take us home, Kevin turned his head a little toward me and mumbled, “I’m good at math too, you know.”

“Oh really?” I tilted my head the same way and gave him a small grin.

“Yes.” His face suddenly turned serious and his voice startled me as it grew louder, “And why should he have to stay overnight to help you with math?”

“What? You don’t believe me? Clayton wanted him to stay over, so we just planned it for today. Gosh, why does it matter so much?”

As if cued by the sound of his name, my brother pulled his car up in front of us and honked, smiling. “SQUIRT! HEY!”

I returned the smile, but quickly glanced back at Kevin, who seemed as if he hadn’t even noticed Clay’s presence. He was now staring off into the distance and when he spoke, his voice was quiet again, “I’m just looking after you,“ he said, barely audible over the sound of the car. Finally, he stood up and jumped into the back seat of the Cadillac.
♠ ♠ ♠
Going to write chapter two and MAYBE post it, depending on how confident I am in the first draft. Then going to do my homework, even though it's almost midnight and I'm tired!