Status: Complete.

Diamonds and Why Men Buy Them

Permanent Heartbreak

Image

After parking my car at Soma, I count to ten and get out. The counting was merely just me trying to relax so I won’t be all keyed up as soon as I leave my car but I guess I could also be delaying the inevitable.

The parking lot is empty so my car really sticks out as I leave it behind to cross the street. I scan the edge of the trees looking for the spilt that should open up to a path. It’s there, I follow the dirt path. It seems longer than before. I’m about to give up and turn around but now I see the pond.

There’s no fire or cabin just the pond. I stand where the small cabin should belong and look around. How could she have moved the cabin? I call out for her but receive no answer.

I look up towards the sky and ask, “Why is it something good happens to me, it gets ripped away?”

Sighing, I lean down and pick up a few flat rocks. I hear Angel’s voice echoing my name in my head. I try to shake it out as I walked to the edge of the water but it won’t leave. It’s like she’s with me.

“You’re really gone. Aren’t you?” I whisper then throw a rock against the waters surface. It skips two times before sinking.

That rock is a lot like my heart. I skip another and watch it sink, thinking about how I’ll never see her again. I should have stopped her while I still had the chance and now I have to live with the consequences. Angel is gone and there’s no getting her back. I just have to tell myself this was all a dream and go home. Sooner or later I’ll forget she even existed.

I look down at the water, her face is in the reflection and she’s smiling at me. I want to reach out and pull her from the water but I know she’s not really there. It’s just my imagination trying to bring her to life in front of me. The remaining two rocks fall from my hand, making a splash and Angel’s face slowly fades with the ripples.

After one last look around I slowly made my way back to Soma. I must have been gone a while because the parking lot is filled and the sky is getting darker. Who cares if it’s late, no one is expecting me and I have no where to be. Not too long ago I was happily going about my daily routine and spending time with my friends. Now I don’t even have the energy to complete anything or visit my friends. I know they’ve noticed but they refuse to speak to me about it. They think this will just pass and I’ll move on but honestly, I don’t think so. It’s been a month since I’ve last seen her and I’m still under her spell. I guess God had thought it’d be best no to even let me have her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woot! Last update! I know it's short but I hope this does well in the contest. Now off to work.
Comments please.

Title credit: The Friday Night Boys