Status: Writing.

Bleak Forest

Strange Happenings

“What happened to you?” Claire, Cassie’s sister asked. With a disgusted face she continued, speaking at an inhuman speed, “Did you barf? Are you bulimic?” her face changed into one of shock. “Does mom know---”

“Stop,” Cassie croaked. She felt horrible, felt a headache coming on, and was not in the mood to be bombarded by questions. She squinted at the lights and propped herself up with her hands. “I don’t know, yes, hell no, and she doesn’t need to know because I’m not. Now go away.”

“Here I am, a good sister, trying to help you but no. You just push me away---”

“Get out!” Claire jumped at her sister’s bark of a command and left abruptly.

Cassie still felt a little disoriented but pushed past it. She felt a lot better than she had when she had first gotten home. Cassie stood up, brushed her teeth, took a shower, then got dressed. She felt her stomach rumble in emptiness and decided to see if her mom had cooked anything. Her dad was always away on business trips so it was no use checking the study for him. When passed the twins’ room she just heard 6 year old chatter. Probably playing with their toys, she reasoned.

It was 6 o’clock. Had she really been out for that long? Walking to the front room, she spotted Claire, sitting on the couch, watching one of her reality tv shows. “Has mom come home yet Claire?”

“Nope.”

“You mad at me?”

“Yup.”

“Will bringing home Chinese make you feel better?” Cassie hated when her family didn’t get along.

“...Maybe”

“Okay, watch Lacey and Jaden for me.” Cassie said as she grabbed her keys and a small jacket.

She liked the fall; the orange leaves, cool breeze and crisp air. She got into her car and started to back out of her driveway when she looked into her rear view mirror and saw a boy, well maybe even a man, that she’d never seen before. Standing at the edge of her driveway, he stared into space with a blank expression. This is weird. What is happening here?

Slowly, Cassie turned off the engine and got out of her car to approach him. She got as close as five feet away and realized that he was really handsome. With dark brown hair and dark green eyes, he stood at a tall maybe 6 feet 4 inches. He could easily tower over Cassie’s measly 5 foot 1--- 5 foot 3 with her ankle boots on. They stood, staring at each other for a moment before his expression changed to one of confusion.

“Uh, I’m not really sure what I’m doing here. I was---,” his voice was deep and calming. For some strange reason, Cassie felt the urge to touch him and make a good impression, but why? She didn’t even know his name or why he was at her house, standing there. He paused for a moment before finishing ,“I’ll just go,” he said, turning away.

“Wait!” Cassie surprised both of them when she called out to him, “Who are you?”

With a faint smile playing at his lips he replied, “Gabriel Enriquez.” And walked away, leaving Cassie wondering.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, a year has gone by? Who knew.

7/31/2011

- yedidia :)