Fiction

Memories

“Dylan, you do realize you’re going to have to eat more than just a few bites of salad here and there.” Brian stated firmly, in such a tone it reminded me of my father, which didn’t exactly bring back the best of memories. I’m not sure how I could even call him a father; he was more or less just a sperm donor. I wouldn’t be where I am today if I hadn’t run into Jimmy. He was working, and living, in a laundry mat where I had to start going since the one I’d previously been going to was being tore down. When you have a father that works in a factory making barely enough to cover his beer budget, having a washer and dryer in a tiny one bedroom apartment isn’t even close to an option.

That day was what I thought to be one of the worst days of my life, how very wrong I was. It was the complete opposite. It was just before noon when my father came in mumbling what I’m sure were the sweetest of comments under his breath. Under one arm was a twelve pack of Natural Light and just below in his hand as a case of the same. In his other hand was a bag of assorted chips. As usual, this was his dinner for the night. I was sitting on the ragged couch, equipped with holes in the armrest and cushions. In my lap were my studying materials. I didn’t want to live life like my father, I wanted to go to college and get out of this rut I was stuck in. I had to apply for every grant I could think of to pay for college, but it was worth it. My father shot a glance at me and then proceeded forward to the tiny room that stood as our kitchen. He put the beer in the fridge with the exception of two which he kept out for starters. It was barely four in the afternoon and he was drunk as could be and his beer was demolished. He stood from his recliner, which happened to be one of the few things he actually gave a shit about, and stumbled towards the bathroom. When he emerged just minutes later, the routine I was so used to at this point began.

“Dylan, go get me some more beer I’m all out” He slurred, clearly proving that he was in no shape of having anymore.

“I think you’ve had enough, why don’t you go and sleep it off” I replied, even though after doing this since I was 12 when my mom died, I should have known that this was the worst thing to do, and I should have just left for a bit, he’d pass out soon enough anyhow. But instead I have to say the one thing that sets him off.

“I’ll decide when I’ve had enough you little bitch, you live in my apartment you do what I say. Now go get me some beer!” It was almost amusing how he could go from 0 to 10 with one comment. Typical alcoholic.

I stood, and walked to the kitchen and grabbed what little money I had. I never really got beer for him when I said I would, but to humor him was enough. He blocked my path when I started for the door.

“You know, you’re just as worthless as your mother. Too lazy to do anything for the man that takes care of you.” He stated with the cruelest of tones.

“Worthless? She worked two jobs to pay the bills since the only thing you ever wanted to do with your money was blow it on beer. She wasn’t the worthless one.” Again, keeping my mouth shut would have been just fine. The comments he constantly threw around shouldn’t mean anything but they did. They hurt, my mom was the only person in my life that meant anything to me.

With that comment his smirk fell, and his hand blasted my face. No more words were exchanged. I could taste the metallic blood trickle in my mouth as he stumbled to his chair. I could feel my lip swell almost instantly as I walked to the bathroom. Blood filled the sink as I washed my mouth out. My lip was purple and swollen, but it wasn’t something I wasn’t already used to. I turned; ready to leave just to get out of the house when my eyes fell to the bag of dirty laundry that was in need of washing. It wasn’t my favorite thing to do, but it was better than being here. I snatched it and walked out of the bathroom, just before I walked out the door the I heard the loud snores of my father.

The new laundry mat I had to go to was just a few blocks from my apartment and since I couldn’t afford a vehicle, walking was the only option. This was just one of the times I was thankful for the warm California weather. I walked past the large glass windows and to the double door entrance. The front counter was almost directly in front of the entrance. Standing behind it was the one person that ever took my breath away at first glance. He was tall and skinny, but beautiful.

“Excuse me, is there any way I can get this 10 for quarters?” I asked politely
.
He smiled. “Not a problem” He quickly took the money and handed me a roll of quarters. I returned the smile and a simple ‘Thank you’ and walked to the nearest washer. I loaded two of them with the clothes and then sat down in a chair. I took in everything around the room, the white walls. The spots near the ceiling where the paint was chipped from the rain leaking in. The television mounted on the wall that either wasn’t on or didn’t work, the white carts randomly placed for customer use. I was the only one around, the only noise coming from the rock of the washer.

“Here” My head snapped towards the voice. It was the man from behind the counter. My eyes followed his face down to his chest where a name tag rested. Jimmy, it read. His arm was extended and in his hand was a soda. I accepted.

“Thanks” I offered a small smile and popped the top, taking a sip from it. He took a seat next to me and remained silent for a few moments.

“I’m Jimmy” he said, turning his head towards me once more.

“Yeah, uh, your name tag told me.” I smiled again, this time a real one. A real smile hadn’t graced this face in months. “I’m Dylan” I said.

He laughed. It was a nervous laugh “Doing laundry?” He asked, seriously.

I returned the laugh “Yes. Not sure what else I would be doing here.”

“Yeah..” He said, realizing how stupid the question was. “Well, I feel like an ass.”

“Don’t, it was funny.” I returned.

“Yeah I guess it was, huh.” He said rubbing his face. “I just thought you looked bored, and well since I never get company in here I didn’t figure you wanted to sit here for an hour doing nothing, and so I thought I’d offer my charm for your amusement”

I laughed once more, it been far too long since I had laughed, it was nice. “Oh yeah?”

“Yeah” He said looking at me very seriously.

And that was it. Five minutes of talking to this stranger and it was like I had found a long lost friend. But that was just the effect Jimmy had on everyone. Coming to the laundry mat was like my new favorite hobby. Each time, a soda with him and a nice conversation. It was only a matter of a couple of weeks, and he’d asked me on a date.

Our first date, that’s all it took and I decided I was going to marry him. He was perfect in every way a man could be.

I sat there across from Brian, staring off into space recalling mine and Jimmy’s first meeting. It made my eyes swell with tears just daring to spill over. It took all of me to not let them. I tried my hardest to not cry in public, because everyone in Huntington knew who I was because of Jimmy, and I was sick of their sympathy.

“You alright? Wanna get out of here?” Brian asked sincerely. I nodded and he left. Leaving the bill and a generous tip.

We got in his truck once more. He sat there for a second without starting the engine. I looked at him, he was already looking in my direction

. “Do you wanna go see him?” He asked.

I nodded. “Yeah, It’s been a couple days. Let’s go see Jimmy”
♠ ♠ ♠
More of a filler. Let me know what you think