With Me Tonight

03

The last week had been a blur. I was currently sitting on the couch in my living room, drinking a beer and staring at the big flat screen television. It was around two PM, now on day 6 after Claire had dumped me and I still hadn't slept more than 3 hours, let alone in my own bed. It seemed like I couldn’t do anything but replay that scene over and over in my head and wonder who the hell this other guy was. Had she just met him? Had she known him for a while? When had she decided she was going to break up with me?

I took another sip of beer and closed my eyes when there was a knock on the front door. I took another swig of beer and stood up, although I knew who it was going to be.

“Hey, Alex." Mackenzie said with a sympathetic look, walking through the door with an armful of groceries as soon as I opened it. She looked at me and paused, taking in my ensemble, which consisted of boxers and socks. I was freezing, but it didn’t matter, nothing could top how shitty I felt after being dumped by the girl I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with. “You're looking better today. Do you want to help me with the groceries?" She started towards the kitchen, dumping the load of groceries on the counters.

"This is the most productive thing I've done all week." I muttered, placing a pack of pudding in the fridge.

She looked up at me, her facial expression screaming pity.

"It's a start. No ones pushing you to start picking up your life any time soon." 

I shrugged and abandoned the groceries, wandering back over to the couch and plopping back down. Within seconds Mackenzie was right there next to me.

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, Alex. But when you're ready I'd like to know what exactly happened."

“I just don't know what I did wrong." I muttered, running a hand over my face.

“I doubt it was your fault. you're a total catch. Albeit, a rather messy one right now.." she trailed off, surveying the living room and taking in the beer cans littering the coffee table and the TV, which was playing a hockey game.

"You watch hockey?" she questioned.

"No." I answered simply.

"Well, I can understand that. I'm more of an Ace of Cakes person mysel-"

“Mackenzie," I said, cutting her off. “Claire cheated on me.”

She froze, her eyes widening. “Pardon?"

“I proposed, she said no, then told me she slept with someone else when she was in Chicago.” I replied with a shrug and a swig of my beer.

She let herself fall back into the couch, looking over at me with an unreadable expression.

"That bitch." she muttered. 

I let her words sink in, a small grin breaking out on my face. I looked over at her and began to laugh.

"What's so funny?" she giggled with a raised eyebrow.

"I honestly don't know," I gasped between laughs. "It's just funny to hear you say bitch." we continued to laugh, hardly hearing the door open as Zack came in, giving us a strange look as he stopped in the living room.

"Hey, man. This is a change." he smiled. Mackenzie hopped up from the couch and went over to Zack. She wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a small kiss.

"I got him to smile." Mackenzie beamed. 

"Well, you've got me smiling  too, babe." Zack grinned as he pressed their foreheads together.

Those two were honestly perfect for each other. Just watching them be all lovey dovey was making me want to stab my eyes out. It wasn't fair that they got to be happy and I didn't. I covered my face with a pillow in an effort to drown them out. At least Jack was single. If there were any more couples in this house being all cute and shit I would most definitely be on suicide watch. 

"I need to get out of here." I mumbled, heading for the front door.

"Dude, wait!" Zack called out as my hand began to twist the doorknob.

"What?"

He did his best to supress a laugh, "you're only wearing boxers, man."

"fuck." I muttered under my breath, my cheeks going red as I excused myself to my room. I threw on a pair of mesh basketball shorts and an old hoodie, placing a beanie over my greasy hair. I hadn't showered since the break up either; I easily resembled a pirate.

I finally made it out the front door, getting in my car and simply driving around downtown Baltimore for a while. Driving had always been a stress reliever for me. If I was feeling down I could easily drown the world out with my car and a good mix tape. I pressed play on my iPod, the beginning harmonies in With Me Tonight by The Beach Boys flowing  through my speakers. I groaned as the lyrics practically taunted me. 

"For sure you're with me, tonight I know you're with me."

"Fuck you, Beach Boys." I muttered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now you know where I got the story title from ;)
Sorry for the delayed posting :/ ily guys, comments?