Sorrow's Story

Cindy

I glared at the boy in front of me, and then went back to looking for cents.

“Wait!” he shouted at me and touched my shoulder.

I shrugged it off and hissed at him under my breath.

“Will you just stop for a minute!” he shouted under his breath.

I sighed as I faced him crossing my arms over my chest.

“I want to help you, and I don’t usually help people so just listen,” he ordered arrogantly.

I scoffed. With that one sentence I knew.

I knew his type. They thought that everybody was inferior to their ‘greatness.’ I didn’t even need to know his name to now his personality.

Arrogant, snotty, completely and utterly selfish, those were all of the characteristics of a Richie.

“What’s your name?” he asked shoving his hands into his expensive looking blue jeans.

I did not answer.

“Okay then,” he said, “Well until you tell me your name, I’ll call you… Cindy.”

I turned sharply and glared at him. Cindy was what my ‘mother’s’ friends called her.

“You don’t like it, well to bad. You’ll just have to tell me your name then,” he stated like a child.

I was no way in hell going to tell him my name, much less my unforgivable last name.

“Well since your Miss ‘I-Don’t-Give-A-Damn’, my name is Nathan Kendricks,” he smirked and held out his hand.

I rolled my eyes.

“Why don’t you just get your rich ass out of here, and leave me alone,” I growled at him.

“Oh so you do talk,” he laughed.

I clenched my fists wanting to punch that smirk off his face. I looked down at a small puddle and saw my eyes staring to darken. That happened whenever I was angry or upset, I got that power when I was eleven, and I could change my appearance any way I wanted, but it all depended on my mood.

I immediately turn around and covered my eyes with my right hand; and I started walking.

“Wait!” he shouted at me.

I did not turn around.

I saw an image of him slipping a crisp dollar bill in my free hand, and not even a second later did that happen. I immediately dropped the fifty dollar bill.

“Will you just stop?!” I shouted at him and turned around to face him, my hand still covering my eyes.

“You need help and I am here to help,” he said confuse and I ‘saw’ him pick it up off the ground and hold it out to me. I refused to take it.

“I. Don’t. Need. Any. Help!” I shouted at him.

I heard the clouds roaring above and lightning on it way over to me. I could feel cool raindrops splattering against my skin.

“You better get out here kid,” I warned as I took off into a nearby alley, only to hear him following me.

I cursed under my breath in irritation, why can’t he just leave me alone and get on with his perfect life.

I hid behind some of the soggy cardboard boxes, and watch him look around confused. I heard him cuss and he sat the fifty dollar bill down on the ground and left.

I smiled, and picked up the fifty. I smirked and made the wind blow it out of my hand and let it sail all the way back to the boy and I made it go into his hand.

I smirked and counted the few coins I had. I smiled, I had just enough for a muffin.

I walked over to a nearby bakery and saw a woman holding a baby wrapped in an old ratty blue blanket. The woman was sitting across the street and was dressed in a dirty brown dress that was torn in some places; she was barefoot. There was an old rusty cup sitting in front of her.

I saw a group of teenage boys come up to her and circle around her. I listened to what they said.

“Ha, how pathetic, look guys it’s a homeless bum,” one them scoffed and they all laughed obnoxiously.

“I bet she has never seen a dollar before,” the middle one ridiculed.

“She’s probably too dumb to understand us.”

The one on the end took her little rusted cup and threw it into the open road.

That’s it.

I ran across the street dodging cars and hearing blaring horn s and the screeching tires as drivers hit their brakes. But I wasn’t worried about that; if they hit me, all that would happen would be a big dent in the metal.

I made it across the street and saw the boys gapping at me, and the woman looked terrified.

“I couldn’t help but over hear your conservation,” I smiled as innocently as I could.

They said nothing.

“Now what were you saying about homeless people?” I smiled and went up to one of them and traced him arm. I felt repulsed doing that.

My back was to the woman and I put my free hand behind my back and pointed to the alley next to her.

I heard her get up and silently walk to the alley unnoticed.

I raised my eyebrows at the boy who looked around seventeen years old.

“Uh, I-I said that she was too dumb to know what a dollar looked like,” he stuttered and I saw a sheen of sweat appear upon his face.

“Is that so,” I mused.

I smirked and kicked him in the weak spot on his knee and brought him to the ground. I glared at him.

“Don’t mess with homeless people, or they are going to mess with you back,” I sneered and stepped over him and went into the alley where the woman was.

“Hello, I’m sorry about those jerks back there,” I told her smiling.

“Thank you,” she told me.

“It’s not a problem, we homeless folk have to stick up for each other,” I commented.

She smiled and started bouncing her baby.

“He’s cute, what’s his name,” I asked looking at the baby.

“Joshua and I’m Hannah,” she held the baby with one arm and extended her free hand out to me.

“Sorrow, if I may ask, how much money did you have in that cup?” I asked.

“A dollar or so,” she answered sadly.

“I’ll be right back,” I told her and left the alley.

I looked out into the road and saw the cup and its spilled contents lying in the road. I looked around to see if anybody was looking, no one was. I focused on the cup and the coins and brought them back to the sidewalk. I smiled and scooped up the coins in mty hands and placed them into the cup.

I walked back into the alley and saw Hannah looking at me in amazement.
“How did you find it?” she asked as I gave it back to her.

“I have my ways,” I commented.

I reached into my pocket where my days pay was and handed all of the coins to her.

“Oh no, I couldn’t,” she told me shaking her head.

I smiled at her and dropped the coins in the cup, “You need it more than I do,” I said looking at her baby.

“Thank you.”

I nodded my head, and said, “Be careful okay.”

“We will,” she looked down at Joshua.

I gave them one last smile before I left.

I hitched my backpack up onto my shoulders and went back to my temporary home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter dedicated to: Midnighter13!