Sorrow's Story

Different

(Nathan’s P.O.V.)

I frowned as I watched her. She looked actually comfortable sleeping there on the vile ground. She was actually pretty without having a guarded expression that made her look older.

I let out a frustrated sigh; I don’t even know why I chose to stay here with her when I could be perfectly happy at home studying for an exam. But no, I had to stay here with a freak because my curiosity got the better of me.

Stop calling her that.

I ignored that.

I actually had a life, I wasn’t a homeless bum; I had a purpose. Her people didn’t, her people deserved it; her people brought it upon themselves. She brought it upon herself.

But I had to know, I had to know why she was here, why she was alone, and why I cared.

And all I knew was that her name was Sorrow, she was homeless, she didn’t know all that much, and that she was different, very different.

Those were the questions that were racing through my mind as I went into a very uncomfortable sleep.

***

“Wake up!” I heard someone shout and felt a sharp pain in my leg.

My eyes shot open to see Sorrow glaring down at me.

“What?” I glared back.

“You need to get up,” she told me.

“It’s still dark out!” I argued gesturing to the sky.

“Well no duh,” she scoffed, “But if you want to eat today, we need to look for coins.”

I groaned as I stood up, everything was sore from sleeping on flat concrete. I ran my hand through my hair only to let it fall in my face.

“Well, before we go scout, you have to learn the rules,” she told me dully, “Rule number one, always listen and do what I say when I say it. Rule number two, don’t trust anyone-.”

“Can’t I trust you?” I asked.

“Especially not me,” she warned, “Rule number three, never flinch at a homeless person. It hurts a lot when you do that. Rule number four, don’t talk to anyone unless I give the okay. And rule number five, always help the broken.”

“The broken?” I asked unsure.

“People who are in worse conditions than I am, people who need help who want it, people who are stepped on, ridiculed, and who people are treated like trash, they are the broken,” she answered and started walking towards the mouth of the alley.

“Are you a broken?” I questioned.

She stopped and looked down, “I was.”

I didn’t push any further. Her voice sounded weak, helpless, and scared.

“So what are we looking for again?”

“Coins, I refuse steal or to go to a halfway house, so I find the unwanted,” she explained and took a left and walked out of the alley. I sighed and followed her.

She picked up a penny and put it in her pocket.

“If you don’t know math? Then how do you know how much money you have?” I asked confused.

“Well I remember a few things from going to school, like adding and subtracting. And I do know how to read a few simple words, but that is all I can remember,” she told me.

I was about to say something else, but a horrified scream entered my ears.

Sorrow whipped around and faced me with a hard expression.

“Stay here,” she ordered and then she was gone.

***

(Sorrow’s P.O.V.)

I ran toward the direction of where I heard the scream and saw the four men that attempted to attack me two days ago. I saw a girl dressed in a business type suite and one of them had a gun to her head. I couldn’t really see her face but she looked familiar.

“Well hello again,” I greeted sarcastically.

My answer was three gun shots towards my direction. This time I didn’t stop them, I wanted to see what would happen when they saw what would happen.

In a matter of seconds did the three bullets hit me, but they just felt like little faint taps on my chest, where my heart was. But not one of them punctured my skin, not one of them sent me to the ground, not one of them killed me. All they did was fall to the ground in a flat little circle.

They gasped in shock when I looked up and glared at them.

I focused on the gun that was held towards the girls head to come towards me. And it and the thugs ran off screaming like they did two nights ago. I smiled and crushed the gun into pieces and left it broken and useless on the ground. I heard a gasp and the girl faced me, and I knew that I knew her.

My elementary school bully, Lauren Hassen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, I am having writers block on all of my stories!