This Year I Want You Alone

1/1

I was the only one awake besides Kenny, who was driving. I sat on the first bench, I was supposed to be sleeping, but my mind was too quick for me to rest it. A few minutes ago, December first started, that’s where all the thinking comes from.

“Fuck, why did I let John and Pat talk me into stopping? We’re going to be late now,” Kennedy was muttering to himself as he drove, his voice just a step above an angry hiss. This was one of the longest drives of tour, we had to be at the next venue rather early in the day, but Pat and John had somehow talked Kennedy, who had already been designated to drive this leg, into stopping for food. They wanted Denny’s after the show, and it was up to Kennedy as driver. Antics ensued, now we’re apparently running late, and Kenny’s possibly driving himself clinically insane over it.

Sure, I love music, it’s my life most of the year. We sit in this cramped van for hours on end to get to the next venue, to play the next show, to meet the next mob of fans. I love doing this every night, not a lot of people are lucky enough to get this. Just sometimes, when things get a little hectic, and especially at this time of year, I miss one other way I’m very lucky. There’s a girl sitting back in Arizona, crossing her fingers and toes hoping I get home in time for the holiday. She keeps her hopes on my safety, the safety of my best friends, as we tour across the country in something smaller than my bedroom growing up.

I can just imagine it now. Her brown hair tinted by the Christmas lights that adorned the tree next to her, her eyes glowing as I walk into the room. Her whole body brightens up, jumping to tackle me into a hug, crashing her lips on mine as innocently as possible. It’s almost like as soon as I see her, my whole body rests, and everything is okay. Like maybe, I’m not really home until she’s in my arms. No matter how much I feel alive on stage, she makes that seem like a dull flame next to the roaring bonfire she causes to run through my veins.

Being here, everything feels right. The Christmas tree and holiday spirit just make it better. It’s just a small one, maybe four feet, decorated extravagantly to make up for its size. We don’t really need anything big, being together is the biggest gift of all. We’ll exchange small presents, but again, they’re nothing really big or flashy. The only present I’ll ever ask for is to find a way home to her this time of year.

We’ll sit down and just take in the feel and smell and sight of the other. For a while, we’re content just sitting there, occasionally saying a few words about what we’ve been up to, but the silence is welcome because it’s still comforting.

“Garrett, baby, you’re going to fall asleep here. Come on, let’s get you to bed.” Her smile was bright, the small ring on her finger shining in the blues and greens of the lights. The ring that called her mine.

“Felicia, I really missed you.” I’ll bury my face in the crook of her neck, place a kiss against the skin there, and feel more comfortable next to her than I could feel anywhere else in the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it Felicia :)

-Dee