Sherry McGavin and the Sixth Reich

From The Womb To Washington

I will never understand why childhood is viewed as something so significant; it’s almost the same as adult hood only shorter, more confined and less exciting. I don’t see why people think that childhood shapes how someone turns out as an adult, I mean look at me, my childhood was shit and I turned out fantastic!

It all started in 1969 when a young woman and an old man had unprotected sex. Nine months later a miracle was born.

Twelve pounds, eleven ounces...I was often teased as a baby because of my weight, told that I had “eaten my twin,” which, although was intended purely for comedic purpose, wouldn’t have surprised me considering my phobia of both small spaces and commitment.

For years my life was perfect, I was at the top of the social hierarchy of things that had come out of my mother’s vagina. I was loved, respected, cherished and given anything that my teeny four year old heart desired; all the whiskey and playboy I could dream of.

But in 1974 everything changed with the birth of my brother Mark. Oh how I hated him. Because of Mark I was forced to go from First Born Son to Second Born Daughter and who in their right mind would want a second born daughter?

But I stayed strong and instead of whining or dismembering Mark’s penis, I continued to strive for my parents’ affection.

When I was twelve my brother Johnny was born and things got better. He looked like me, which made me automatically like him more than I had the strong jawed sandy haired blue eyed Mark, and he cried a lot which made my parents resent him.

Though I was ranked behind the first born son I was still better than the second, especially when he got a little older and started shooting heroine.

But even before the drugs Johnny had become too much for my mother to handle, which is why in 1986 my parents divorced and my father lost the custody battle, leaving him forced to take Johnny with him to Washington. My mother remarried within a year.

Living with only my mother and Mark was horrible, without Johnny to make me look good I had once again become the least favorite child, but the world once again became brighter when I lost my virginity at the tender age of sixteen to my step father.

Luckily my mother was kind enough to forgive him. You see, Dick was a good man, it was just that we had both had too much to drink and everyone involved regretted the decision shortly after.

But my mother no longer felt comfortable leaving the two of us alone; she was getting older and simply didn’t need the competition.

And so after a mere three days to prepare myself, I was shipped off to Seattle to become the favorite child once again.