Status: Hiatus

The Time Ring

Who? What? When?

“Do you know what you’re doing?” Jack was questioning the situation at hand. The Doctor was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed in front of his chest. He was staring at Mousy while she was talking to the other members of Torchwood.

“I’m thinking.” Jack rolled his eyes at the response.

“No. You’re staring and you are making it very obvious.” The Doctor didn’t stop, though. His eyes were scanning the short brunette for a hint. She was either hiding something or she genuinely didn’t know. Something wasn’t making sense.

“How did the Gatekeepers know when to return in time in order to get the ring? They knew for sure that Victor Cavington was going to give Mousy the ring as a present. And how did he really die? I doubt it was an accident.” The Doctor thought out loud.

“Maybe it was a coincidence,” Jack continued even if both men new that wasn’t the case. “Maybe the ring was supposed to be hers all along. You said it, she became the time ring.”

Whatever the Doctor was concluding in his head, he didn’t share with his friend. Instead, he glanced at Mousy for one last time before he threw the small box at Jack.

“Look for something useful.” The time lord said fast. Jack glanced at the box before his eyes rose on the man himself.

“Where are you going?” Jack asked a bit unsure where that was going to lead them.

“To have a chat with the man of the house,” The Doctor shouted while running to the TARDIS.

“What about Mousy?!” Jack shouted back. The Doctor didn’t respond.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Jack wasn’t good at hiding things from people like Mousy. She was smart and very perceptive; her eyes were glowing with mischievousness, but a controlled one. Maybe that was why she had been chosen to wear and become such a big source of energy; she knew how to control herself in urgent matters.

For Mousy, being around people who were working in the alien domain was like a breeze of fresh air. Talking to Gwen was doing all kind of goods for Mousy and her mental state. The younger woman had less to no female friends and it was showing a bit in her character. For the first time in a long time, she felt like she could fit in.

Of course, everyone retired for the night since they got no new information and nothing urgent or deadly was happening around Earth. Humans were safe thanks to the sacrifices and fights of a few men.

“So,” She appeared out of nowhere behind Jack. “Where’s the Doctor?” Jack chuckled and turned in order to face her.

“Gone. But you knew that.” He responded with a grin on his face. She sighed and leaned against the monitors.

“He’s that kind of guy who vanishes when he has to pay the bill.” Her response made Jack laugh loudly. The captain swore she was the best thing that could happen to someone so horrified by his own self. The Doctor should have met Mousy a long time ago.

“You are a funny one, aren’t you?” He joked. She chuckled and rubbed the back of her neck. It wasn’t like she wanted to be how she was; it was part of the ring and the chemicals in her body. Her eyes landed on the desk and the thing that seemed to be keeping Jack busy.

“He gave you the box to test?” Mousy changed the subject quickly. Captain Jack turned his attention on the small box and threw it in the air, like it wasn’t important. “Did you find anything new about it?”

“It became significantly smaller,” He started. Mousy rolled her eyes and walked closer. She had to lean over his shoulder in order to see what else he was doing. “It looks ancient, like it was created for the sole purpose of hiding energy before energy was created. It may be from the time of the time war but I wouldn’t bet on that.”

“It was created before the time war. Daleks weren’t even created back then. The Time Lords fought specie that could endanger their own mechanics.”

“Who?” Mousy shrugged.

“I have no idea.”

Jack knew. He could see it in her eyes. Mousy Cavington was aware that nothing was coincidental and that she was supposed to have the ring from the moment the object fell on Earth. The only question was how and when in time she caught on to what was really going on.

“Oh, look! My brother!” Jack shifted his attention from the box to the screen.

Jeremy Cavington was known as a man who could hide his real feelings and desires, granted to his past, but his love for fire wasn’t something his teachers and supervisors could close an eye for.
Jack and Mousy leaned forwards, in utter confusion as to where exactly Jeremy was going to. He was walking barefoot in winter, through cold snow in just his pajama pants. Mousy’s eyes narrowed when, at a corner, Jeremy turned his back and walked through a wall.

“Did you see that? Was it a portal?” Jack tapped a few buttons and brought the image closer. Unfortunately, there was no way they could see around the corner, in the gang her brother disappeared from.

Mousy was curious about something different, though. When he turned around, she could swear he had a newly made tattoo in the form of two hands opened like a flower with a small trident coming from between them. It was on his back, at the bottom, and it looked like it shifted upwards right before he turned the corner. It was a tattoo she had seen before but she couldn’t wrap her head where and why it felt like it was the weak point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, the Doctor was standing in front of the front door to the enormous mansion he visited before; the only difference was Mousy. Much like the first time he came, he saw the small girl open the door widely and freeze when she met a long man with long feet and arms.

Those bright green eyes were still innocent and just as he was trying to say something and convey his thoughts to the young child like before, he realized he couldn’t. It was completely different without the older Mousy taking the lead.

“Hello,” He started, a bit awkward. Amanda blinked twice before she closed the door in his face. “Well, I was definitely not expecting that.”

Since he couldn’t enter normally, as Amanda’s older friend, he had to use a second base way that he didn’t enjoy much; climbing on the vines. From afar, the Doctor was sure he looked vulgar and suspicious but it had to be done and the only way he observed before was climbing the vines up to the guest room. When he finally got inside, he couldn’t help but feel a weird chill go down his spine; it wasn’t like the one when he would wait the Gatekeepers to jump out of nowhere and get him into paradox, it was more like he had no idea how to approach Victor.

He came to realize that better when the man entered his house, a few hours earlier than the Doctor remembered. It was even stranger when Victor narrowed his eyes at the stranger in the corridor and punched him in the nose.

“This family never ceases to surprise,” The Doctor shouted, his face in pain and blood.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’m sorry I broke your nose but under the circumstances I found you in my house, I thought you are a thief.” Mister Cavignton apologized right away, feeling only partially bad for the visitor.
“It’s alright, I understand. I came here with a different purpose and I need to clarify something,” The Doctor started, moving his nose a bit. “In your latest journey, you found something, haven’t you? Something small and shiny,” The Doctor continued, sensing the atmosphere getting far from friendly and nice.

“So, you’re not the new butler, are you?” Victor asked a bit disappointed that he had to keep looking for a new butler.

“Wait- don’t you have one already? Some Sebastian?” The Doctor was genuinely starting to have second thoughts about who gave Mousy the ring.

Firstly, Victor Cavignton was a smart man who would keep the ring to himself until he would find it right to give the ring; it wasn’t a good present for a small girl anyway. Did Victor Cavignton give her the ring, in the first place?

“I was waiting for a Mister Phelps to come and try out but he never did. I was hoping you would be his replacement but I guess you don’t look like a butler. About my journey, I did find a lot of small objects but, shiny or covered in dirt I haven’t found anything that would spark my interest.” Victor explained, leaning back and crossing his arms on his lap.

“What about a ring, then? Or a box with a strange puzzle,” The Doctor continued his interrogation but the overall answer was no.

If Victor Cavington didn’t have the ring, then who had it? Did someone give it to him and in truth, he never discovered it? Or was that an alternative past? The Doctor was confused and he hated when that was happening.