Believe Me I'm Lying

20

I woke up to hear Austin talking “What’s going on?” Austin asked and I felt my heart beat quicken.

Had we just been found out!

“Nothing. She said she felt ill so I was looking after her and she fell asleep on me” explained Jonathan rubbing my arm.

I kept my eyes closed pretending to be asleep, “You not out tonight?” Jonathan asked.

“No we’re always out. I thought I’d stay in,” replied Austin sounding tired.

“I’m taking her to bed” Jonathan said picking me up.

“Can you manage?” Austin asked and I presumed he meant because of his shoulder.

"Yeah, I’ve had my pills” Jonathan admitted and he walked towards my bunk before crouching and I felt him lay me on my bunk & I kissed his cheek when I knew we were safely out of view.

He smiled winking at me and went back to Austin.

“She asleep?” Austin asked.

“Yeah why?” Jonathan asked sounding curious.

“Can we talk?” asked Austin and he took the silence to mean yes and carried on, “You two are close right?” he asked.

“Yeah she’s my best friend why?” Jonathan replied.

“Just wondered, where does your priorities lie? Her or Caleb?” Austin sounded awkward.

“If he did something wrong I’d tell her, I can’t lie to her and I wouldn’t lie just for him. Why?” asked Jonathan sounding like he was about to explode and force whatever it was out of Austin.

“Nothing, I just feel like I’m her friend but Caleb’s a best friend. I’d have to stick with him but I hate lying to people” Austin said sounding like he was trying to get something across without saying it.

“Are you trying to tell me something?” Jonathan snapped.

“Yeah, I hate to lie but I feel like I should stick with Caleb. Anyway I’m going to bed” I heard Austin say as he got in his bunk.

What was that meant to mean? Was he trying to tell Jonathan something or was he just talking.