Believe Me I'm Lying

25

He started to smile as we walked towards the bench and sat down. “What was that all about?” I asked.

“Just my test to see if someone likes you or not” he replied.

“How?” I asked confused on who he was trying to impress.

“Well if I’m like that with you and they react then I know they like you. It’s worse than I thought he looked like he wanted to kill me!” he said as I started to eat.

“Are you actually going to tell me who this mystery man is? Or is it just you and you were using that as a way to hold my hand?” I asked and he laughed.

“No it wasn’t a game. If I say you can’t tell anyone because he hates people knowing this sort of thing” he stated and I nodded.

“Well okay. Its Jonathan” Kent stated and I nearly choked on my fries.

“Shut up, we’re friends. He doesn’t have feelings for me. He was only jealous because he thought you were taking his place as best friend” I rambled hoping to cover up the mess I'd let Kent drag me into unknowingly.

“So you noticed he was jealous too. Look promise you won’t say I said anything he hates this sort of thing?” he asked looking worried.

“I promise. What do you mean this sort of thing?” I asked curious.

“He doesn’t like, you know, girls” he said and I laughed.

“Jonathan's gay?” I asked.

“Trust you to take that in the wrong way. No I mean he doesn’t do well with the whole relationship thing.”

Oh great the guy I’ve fallen for whilst cheating on my boyfriend who was his best friend in the process doesn’t do well with relationships well this is positive, I thought to myself.

“Meaning?” I asked feeling sick.

“That in the past things haven’t worked out so well for him. He’s very careful about this sort of thing, if he likes a girl it can take him ages to do anything about it and he’s just cautious. He’s had his heart broken before and he doesn’t forget it. All I’m saying is if you like him don’t expect it to happen quickly if you don’t like him let him down gently and I mean gently” he said touching my arm.

“Your presuming he likes me at all. Is he really that bad?” I asked and he nodded.

“Yeah I’ve known him keep this sort of thing quiet for ages just because he’d rather have the hope of not knowing than the heartache of a turn down. He’s sensitive but he hides it with his attitude, it’s a big thing for him to tell a girl he loves them. He’s actually going to murder me for saying this, girls don’t tend to like him but you two seem very comfortable around each other. I’d hate to see that wasted on a friendship; anyway he’s coming so I best go before he beats me up. Remember don’t say a word!” smiled Kent as he ran off back to the buses.

I smiled as Jonathan walked up to me but he didn't return it and I felt on edge.

“Stand up and walk with me please!” he said and I obeyed.

"Is anyone on our bus?” he asked and I shook my head,“Good we can talk on there” I looked at him for any signs of what was coming but nothing.