Believe Me I'm Lying

38

We got up and I gave Jonathan our car for the day so Max and me went out.

We sat down to lunch “Megan we need to talk. I was at work the other night and one of mom’s old friends came in. She’s moved to Franklin Tennessee she said so I checked up on it and I found her. I rang her” he said as I looked at him.

“You found her?” I asked.

“I wanted to see her before you did, but it looks like she’ll be here tonight so you 2 should go out” he trailed off.

“I want to stay, we can see her together” I said scared of what would happen.

Had she moved on and got a new boyfriend?

Got married?

Had kids?

Had she changed at all?

But what if she was still with him, would she walk in covered in bruises or scarred from years of abuse?

Max said she was coming so he wasn’t going to be there, hopefully!

Maybe she’d walk in changed and sorry she’d been so horrible and pushed us away, that she wanted us to be a family again.

Or would she walk back in the same person and shout at us, ruin the hope we’d had that she never meant what she did.

We got home before Jonathan so I went to get ready for tonight.

“Hey princess, Toby said I should talk to you?” Jonathan said as he looked confused.

“Did you have fun?” I asked and he nodded.

“Frank is really funny, he calls me son though?” he said looking slightly worried and I smiled.

“He calls everyone he likes son, even me occasionally” I laughed.

“Jonathan, Max found our mom and she’s coming round tonight. Do you mind staying up here while she’s here?” I asked and he nodded hugging me.

“I’m scared, what if she hates us still?” I admitted.

“Then she’s stupid, she’s got two kids who learnt how to look after themselves and who have great lives” he said and I laughed at him.

“You have to say that your my boyfriend” I replied as he shook his head.

“Megan, she’s just pulling in now!” I heard Max shout and looked at Jonathan.

“Go on, I’m right here if you need me” he kissed me and I walked down the stairs.

There was a knock at the door and we looked at each other. I grabbed Max’s hand and squeezed it as we both walked to the door. I took a deep breath as he opened it.