Believe Me I'm Lying

39

She stood there looking at us and I shook as I felt her eyes over me. I wasn’t sure what to say but luckily Max had it covered.

She walked in and sat down and I sat so close to Max he couldn’t move.

“You two have grown” she smiled and we nodded.

“Who else lives here?” she asked.

“Nobody, just us two” replied Max.

“You live here alone? How do you afford that?” she asked looking at me.

“We both work hard, you have to you learn to survive alone” he replied spitefully.

“You don’t talk much, you used to be such a talkative girl,” she said staring at me.

“She still is” he cut in squeezing my hand.

“So what do you do nowadays? Are you in college?” she asked and I shook my head.

“Couldn’t really afford it” I said half laughing.

I looked at her to see she looked different she had make up on; she never wore it before. She didn’t have a wedding ring on and she didn’t look like she was a mom to any new kids.

It was strange but it seemed like everything she said she thought it through first as if to see if there was any second meaning to her words, on the plus side she didn’t look to have any bruises or scars.

Max got up to get coffee and I looked around nervously.

“Megan you look different. You’ve grown up so much” she said and I nodded.

“That happens in 2 years” I stated and she nodded.

This was awkward.

“Does Max still look after you?” I nodded.

“Someone has to” he cut in sitting back down.

Why hasn’t she apologized for everything, said she’s sorry she’s missed so much?

She was staring at her mug “Is Franklin nice?” I asked and she nodded.

“You guys didn’t move far, I thought you’d of left the state” she stated and I left this one up to Max.

“We couldn’t leave pappy and gran,” he said and she nodded.

We sat in silence for a while when there was a knock on the door. I noticed she jumped but thought nothing of it as Max got up and opened the door.

“Who are you?” I heard someone shout and recognized the voice, I looked over to see mom jump up.