‹ Prequel: Twist of a Bounty

The Saints Are Coming

The Saints

“Insignificant fucks!”Paul Lorenzo threw his glass of wine, watching it shatter against his office wall.

The other men in the room flinched at his sudden outburst. They knew if a job wasn’t done right, any one of them could suffer, regardless if they were in on it or not.

“Two men can’t take out one fucking cunt?! One girl?! The fag was easier to take out!”He brushed his hands through his thick, curly hair.

He took a deep breath and calmed down slightly.

“And now we’re being threatened.”He sighed.”Threatened By two vigilante fucks! Two bastardos who think they stepped in God’s shit and have his word to take us out! I want them dead! Dead Them and that bitch chasin’ our tail!”

He breathed heavily and dropped his flaring hands.

“I want you on the streets. The bars. Anywhere and everywhere. I want them dead. As a matter of fact, I want them here. Bring them to me alive.”He growled.”I want them to suffer. I want to show them what it’s like to mess with Paul Lorenzo.”

I dug my fingers into my chair as their hands disappeared into their bags. My heart beat so fiercely into my chest that I feared I’d fall into cardiac arrest. I let out a faint huff as cash – mounds of cash – were tossed onto the table. I knew it. Bank robbers. I pushed myself further into my seat as they gripped their bags and turned them upside down. Multiple weapons fell out onto the table – guns, knives, rope. My frantic eyes went from the table to the twins. They looked up, their faces falling at the recognition of fear in my eyes.

“Rose,”Connor reached for my trembling body, but I pushed his hand away.

“Why,”I whimpered gently – what was this?

Connor opened a small side pocket and pulled out a baggie. I didn’t realize what it was until it was dropped in front of my face. Pennies.

“Yer murderer’s!”I stood from my seat, startling the brothers.

“No,”Murphy began.”no, Rose. We’re – “

“I just got out of dealin’ with fucks like you.”I felt the warmth in my eyes, but refused to give in.

“Rose, just listen to – “Connor reached out for me once more, but I angrily smacked his hand away.

“Yer no fuckin’ Saints!”I shouted.”Fer money?!”

Was I allowed to leave? Or was my reaction costing me my life? I was scared, nervous and angry. I never expected this.

“Please,”I whimpered.”just let me leave, okay? Yer secret –“

“Roisin!”I jumped at Connor’s loud voice and took a deep breath.”Yer over reactin’.”

I stepped from the table, but Murphy gripped my wrists. As I tried to pull away, he only tightened it. My jaw quivered at the thought of them gunning people down for such pointless things. Connor stepped closer and I finally felt my first tear fall. My hands were pulled to my chest – like I could defend myself now.

“Rose, calm down.”His voice was so soft, so gentle.

“Trust me, the last thing we want to do is hurt ya.”Connor whimpered.

Again I tried to pull away. I couldn’t handle this. Not now.

“We don’t do this fer money.”Connor sighed.”Not fer jewelry. Not fer fun.”

“This is fer yer safety. Fer all who are innocent.”Murphy stated.

“Fer women,”Connor said.

“Fer children.”Murphy added.

I felt a sudden calm flow over me. I was still scared, but I understood their point, slowly.

“What’s ridiculous,”Connor huffed.”is men coming home from a twelve hour shift, turnin’ on the news and findin’ murderers’, rapists’, gettin’ out on bail the same fuckin’ day they’re cuffed.”

“It’s what we fight fer, Rose.”Murphy whispered.”Ya understand, right?”

I shook my head and tried to pull my arms away, but Murphy kept his grip on me.

“Murph,”I whimpered.”yer hurtin’ me.”

“Just tell us ya understand, Rose. Please.”Connor pleaded.

“Alright! Just let go of me wrists!”He let go and I put my hand to his chest, pushing him away.

I stepped past Murphy and headed for their door. I needed to go home – some time to think. The McManus twins risking their freedom and lives to clean out Boston? Why them?

“Rose, wait,”Connor grabbed my upper arms from behind, forcing an adrenaline rush.

“Don’t touch me McManus!”I spun in his grip and angrily pushed him away.

“We have to see ya home,”He only held my right arm now.

“Don’t even think ‘bout it!”I tried to shake my arm free of his grasp.

“Ya have to try to understand,”Murphy stepped forward, but I waved him off.

“I’m not goin’ home yet.”I spat.”Let go, Connor.”

After a few apprehensive seconds, he stated, “Alright.”

“I need to think this over.”I stated softly.”I love ya boys, but this is too much.”

I wiped my teary eyes and shook my head. I found myself letting out a quiet chuckle. It could have been that my nerves were jumping in every direction, or that I found their confession confusing and scary. I hoped that out of everything, they understood me. It was silent for a few seconds as we all tried to soak in the new information.

“I’ll be seein’ ya boys.”I didn’t even turn to leave when Connor grabbed my arm once more.

He pulled me forward and into a tight hug. At first I tried to push away from him, but it was no use. It was my 135lbs versus their 180lbs or 190lbs. I just wrapped my arms over his chest and rested my head against his shoulder.

“I’m sorry, Rose.”He whispered.”But ya deserve to know.”

I stayed silent, preventing the break down that was on it’s way. He let go but I couldn’t leave without saying goodbye to Murphy aswell. As we pulled away, I gently stated, “This doesn’t change anythin’. I’ll still be close to the both of ya. It’s just crazy news. I’ll be seein’ ya boys tomorrow after work.”

As soon as I walked out the door, I fell into tears. Why would they do something so crazy?