‹ Prequel: Twist of a Bounty

The Saints Are Coming

Rocco

“Hey fuckass, get me a beer!”Cheers erupted in the bar as a man walked in, a large grin on his face.

Long brown, curly hair fell to his shoulders and he sported a short beard. He continued to smile idiotically like he just found out a dirty secret. I turned back to my full beer and inhaled deeply on my nicotine. Doc stepped over, his hands wrangled in a cup he was cleaning.

“H-h-hows yer story goin’, Roisin?”I looked up, almost afraid to answer – what if one of them were here and heard me?

“Um,”The long haired man looked over – still smiling.”Pretty good, Doc.”

“That’s nice to hear. Still headed to Ireland after ya finish yer r-report?”He questioned.

The smiling goons face fell as he continued to listen in. My eyes quickly went to him, then back to Doc.

“Y-yeah.”I smiled.”Doc, I gotta go. I’ll see ya soon.”

I threw down some cash and escaped out the door. I threw out my cigarette and brushed my hair back into my bun. I was becoming paranoid. Very paranoid. The band of the bar doors forced me to jump and turn. There he was – smiley. He stepped down to me and asked, “You’re Roisin O’Garen, right?”

I stood there for a moment, unsure of what to say. He didn’t seem dangerous. But yet look at the boys – they kill bad guys.

“Oh, sorry, I’m Rocco. Da funnyman.”He grinned.

It figures his nickname would be the Funnyman. With a passable smile, I nodded slowly.

“Yes, I am. Why do you ask?”I prepared myself for ‘I’m gonna kill you’, but it never came.

“Your story was on the news. You have Lorenzo’s men after you.”He chuckled.

With widened eyes, I turned and began to walk away.

“Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!”He stepped in front of me and frowned.”I’m sorry, that wasn’t funny.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t know how yer findin’ this shit out, but stay out of it.”I snapped.

I pushed past Rocco, shaking my head in anger. Now that one knew, will everyone know I’m a walking target?

“What if I can help you find Lorenzo?!”I stopped and faced him slowly.

Again his smile came back. He came forward and stuck out his hand like we had never met.

“Like I said,”He grinned.”I’m Rocco. Da Funnyman.”

I shook it and let a cruel smirk come to my lips.

“Roisin. Call me Rose.”Now we’re doing business.