‹ Prequel: Twist of a Bounty

The Saints Are Coming

Goodbyes

"Boys!"I knocked on their room door and gently pushed it open."Boys, I've -"

I stopped as they looked up, hands buried deep in their duffle bags. Their rosaries swung from their necks as they stopped in mid action. Their small baggie of copper pennies sat on the table, guns strapped to their breasts.

I gasped quietly as they realized theyve been caught. I stepped in and shut the door behind me. They pulled away from their bags, sorrowful looks on their faces. The silence was heart breaking, but I knew the answer to my question was going to hurt more.

"Yer goin'?"I covered my mouth and nose with my hand and closed my eyes; don't cry, not now.

"Rose,"Connor began.

I sniffled and let my hand drop. I looked up at Connor and Murphy, warmth flooding my eyes quickly. I stated, "Yer goin' fer him."

My voice was shaky, uneven. Murphy looked over at Connor, expecting him to answer for the both of them. After a moment, Connor nodded.

"Yes."He whispered.

"Ya boys don't gotta go."I whimpered.

"Now Rose, ya know that aint true."Connor frowned.

"Yes, it is."I bit my bottom lip, holding back my oncoming tears."Ya boys don't understand -"

"No, I don't think you understand, Roisin."Murphy furrowed his eyesbrows like he was angry."We're tryin' to keep ya safe and ya got nothin' good to say 'bout it! Ya go on like we're stealin' from ya. You don't understand, Roisin."

My bottom lip began to quiver at his accusation. Connor looked over at Murphy, disappointment in his eyes. They knew his remark struck home. I only wanted them to be safe. I understand the fact that they wanted to protect me, but it made me worry. In fact, I seemed close to a nervous breakdown each time.

"Murph,"Connor scowled.

"I just can't take it anymore, Connor."He sighed.

"Ya made'er cry fer fucks sake! "He yelled.

Murphy looked back in my direction and his shoulder slumped. He felt bad, I know he did. Yet it didn't stop his comment from hurting my feelings. I wiped my eyes and faced them once more.

"They know everythin'."I shrugged."Dolly, Greenly, Duffy, even Smecker."

"The fuck are ya talkin' 'bout, Rose?"Connor asked.

"Smecker knew all along what ya boys do. We were just too blind to see it. They made an oath,"Murphy slammed his fist down on the table.

"Ya ratted us out?!"He yelled.

"You out of all people know I would never do that."I growled."They agreed not to take ya boys. They're on our side."

"Ya mean our side."Murphy scowled."Our side since ya don't give a damn 'bout what we do fer ya!"

I clenched my fists and took in a deep breath. I slowly let it out and looked into Murphy's angry eyes.

"If I'm that much of a bad guy to ya,"I began."then fuckin' shoot me now."

"Rose,"Connor whispered."he's stressed. Don't take the lad seriously."

"I'm just sayin' that they're on their way to Lorenzo's now. I have my story. I'll get me money and go. Ya boys wont have to worry 'bout me anymore."I spat.

I swung open the door and stepped out, ignoring their calls for me. At this point I didn't give a damn if they never spoke to me again.