‹ Prequel: Twist of a Bounty

The Saints Are Coming

Robbie

I enclosed my fingers around the top of my last beer with a cheeky grin. It was almost six o’ clock and I had a good buzz going so far.

“So much fer Robert comin’ down.”Murphy snickered.

“Aye. And good riddens.”Connor gulped down the last of the beer and slammed it to the counter top.

“Oh!”Robert had slipped my mind since I’d been here.

After a quick swig of my alcoholic beverage I dug my hands into my purse and pulled out my phone.

“Ya got her callin’ him now, Murph!”Connor groaned.

Murphy laughed as I flipped open my cell and was greeted by five missed calls. Each one was from Vikki.

“I think somethin’s wrong.”I pulled cash from my bag but Connor stopped me.

“We got two bounties today. We got it.”I disapproved and put it down anyway.

“I don’t like bein’ paid fer.”I smiled.

“Yer gonna have to deal with it.”Murphy grinned.

With a sigh I simply grabbed my bag and stood.

“Bye Doc!”With a wave I turned on my heel and left with the boys.

When I stepped out in the humid air I lit a cigarette and dialed Vikki back. The twins followed my lead and did the same. It seemed like the ringing lasted forever until I heard her pick up.

“Vi-”I was cut off with sobbing.

“Roisin! Get to Robbies house quick! Somethin’s happened! Somethin’ bad!”She cried.”Oh, Rose! It’s horrible!”

“Call 911! I’ll be there soon! Stay calm love!”The boys looked over quick, worry plastered to their faces.

“They’re on their way! Please, hurry Rose!”I threw my half smoked cigarette and choked on my words.

“Five minutes! Give me five minutes!”I snapped my phone shut and looked at the brothers.”Quick! Robbie’s hurt!”

Tears stung my eyes as I pushed past the twins. God, let him be alright. Please, god. Our footsteps echoed across the cement as we sprinted to his house. He lives so close. So close. Please, oh God, please!

“Robbie!”His house came into view at last.”God, Robbie!”

Sirens wailed in the distance. Vikki’s neon was parked neatly outside.

“Rose!”One of them caught my arm before I dashed inside.”Rose! Wait!”

I yanked back on my arm - Robbie’s status was the only thing on my mind and they were stopping me.

“Get off!”I turned back, facing Connor.

Murphy was on the side, eyeing the door. The sirens were growing closer.

“Connor!”I pulled my arm back again - no use.

“Rose! Rose, listen to me. If it’s somethin’ bad I don’t thin you’d be able to handle it. Let me go in first. This can scar ya.”He said softly.

“Please,”I gritted my teeth in frustration.”Let go of me arm. They need me.”

They began to pull up quickly. The police, the ambulance, the neighbors even stood on the side. Connor let go of my arm and we rushed inside the house.

“Vikki!”I scanned the organized room for any sign of them.

“Rose!”I rushed to the kitchen and stopped.

Blood dangerously caked the walls, the furniture. Vikki was knelt on the floor, blood caked in her clothes, her gorgeous red locks. Robbie’s head lay in her lap as she rocked back and forth, cradling his limp frame.

“Rob -”I let in a gasp.

Who could have done this? Why would anyone do this? Vikki looked up, tears and make up staining her porceline cheeks.

“Help him.”She whimpered.

Paramedics and police suddenly filled the room .It was all going so slow - so blurred. An officer quickly pulled Vikki away, who suddenly started to scream.

“Robbie!”She pushed toward him, grabbing at air.

“Rob-bie.”His name came in a whisper.

Vikki was pulled from the room as Connor and Murphy touched my arms. Tears welled in my eyes, but they didn’t fall yet.

“Rose,”Murphy whispered.

A paramedic dropped their supplies and stood, shaking their head.

“Robbie.”I whimpered.

“Call the coroner. He’s gone.”I stood still - all the voices seemed the merge together.

The sentence kept moving through my head like a cold stream. He’s gone. That couldn’t be right. He’s gone. I spoke to Robert a couple of hours ago. But then - I snapped.

“Robbie! No!”I fell to his corpse, hugging the stiffening frame.”Please wake up! Robbie please!”

“Get her off!”My cries came in sobs as I gasped for breath.

“Rose!”Each of the boys grabbed one of my arms and yanked me to my feet.”Rose, come on!”

“Robbie! Please! Wake up!”I tried to reach out to him, but the twins were dragging me back.”Robbie!”

I don’t even know if I was crying anymore. I just wanted to hold him and tell him it was okay. Connor and Murphy managed to pull me outside. They each had an arm wrapped around my arm and waist by the time we were in his front lawn.

“Oh, god,”My legs buckled beneath me.

Realizing I had stopped fighting, the boys let my weight fall to the grass. They let go of my crumbling body and I felt someone hug me. It wasn’t one of the boys - they seemed to have a more fragile posture and they were shaking. It was Vikki. We just cried together. Everything seemed to fall apart in this scene.

“Shh,”A hand rubbed my back as I continued to cry into Vikki’s shoulder.

“It’s s’arlight, girls.”The boys tried their best, but nothing could change what had happened.

We could have tried all we wanted, but nothing could change the fact that Robert Camino, my best friend, was dead.