‹ Prequel: Twist of a Bounty

The Saints Are Coming

What Would I Do Without Ya?

“This just sounds like a simple self defense case.”Greenly, one of Boston’s not so reliable detectives clapped his gloved hands together.

“Very simple.”Duffy agreed.

“Very.”Dolly flicked the ashes to his cigarette and nodded in agreement.

He stood over the large Italian man and pointed down at him.

“What chu got?! A beatin’! Das what chu got!”He turned toward Dolly and Duffy with a huff.”I need a fuckin’ coffee.”

“From what I understand,”Smecker, one of Boston’s finest, stepped through the door, slapping gloves on his hands.”these two men are Lorenzo’s property. They didn’t come for money.”

“These two? Lorenzo? Wait,”Greenly stomped his foot down like he were in a tantrum.”What da fuck are you?”

Smecker stepped up to Greenly, a satisfactory grin pressed tight to his thin lips. He peeled back his tan coat, revealing a top of the notch, shining badge.

“That’s who the fuck I am.”He growled.”Now,”

“Wait. Dis is our case. So if you’ll excuse me.”Greenly snapped.

Smecker huffed and pressed his hands to his hips. He angrily looked up at Greenly before stating, “This involves two men of the biggest Italian mob in Boston. Earlier today we dealt with the death of a young man, who knows our current victim well, and now she’s being threatened by the same mob. Now please, enlighten me. What do you have on the case?”

“Um, well,”Greenly stuttered at the confrontation.

“And that is why, Detective Greenly, these cases are not in your field of work.”He pushed past him to the deceased mob men.

Greenly turned to Dolly and Duffy, but they only shrugged. With narrowed eyes, he turned to observe Detective Smecker. He knelt next to the larger man who was now turned on his back. He dug his hand into his pocket and pulled out a pair of headphones. Greenly, Dolly and Duffy each gave odd looks, but they only watched. Smecker began to poke and prod the body before moving to the smaller intruder. After a couple of minutes he pulled himself to his feet and put away the headphones.

“This is just the beginning.”He stated matter of factly.”The smaller was obviously the easiest to take down. The largest man, however, was a challenge. He was shot just below the heart, but it only slowed him down. Greenly,”

Smecker stepped to the large man and snapped his fingers. Greenly stepped over and knelt down with Smecker.

“Roll him over slightly.”With a disgusted look, he did as told.

Smecker began to point out the random stab wounds.

“These here are our kill shots. Loss of blood. I can tell you right now this was the woman.”Smecker said.

“But why the random spots?”Duffy questioned.

“She didn’t have the time. Or it could be the fact that she’s getting 13 stitches in her head right now.”He stood and allowed Greenly to drop the corpse back in it’s original spot.
“Why the girl?”Dolly asked.

“From what we know she’s similar to a journalist. So was her friend, but he isn’t here right now to comply.”He smirked.”Her story has to do with Lorenzo. She may know more than they expected. Thus, making her their next target.”

“We could use that to our advantage.”Greenly smiled.

“We could, but not at the expense of her life. We just need to get her safe.”Smecker pulled off his gloves and stepped out of the house.

“Ow, ow, ow!”I pulled away from the emt who smiled nervously.

“Sorry. Obviously I’m not a hospital.”He chuckled.

“Obviously.”I growled.

I watched as numerous cops and Detectives walked in and out of my house. The house I worked so hard for, the house I kept perfectly clean – now a grave for two dead Italians. The emt pulled away after stitching my head and smiled.

“You should be okay. I do suggest making a run to the hospital though.”He suggested gently.

“I’ll take me chances.”I stepped over to Connor and Murphy, who were each enjoying a cigarette.

They turned and looked, giving me a warm, genuine smile. For a moment I stood there, debating no how to approach my gratitude. Yet in seconds, I wrapped my arms around the both of them and grew teary eyed.

“Thankya boys so much.”Their arms wrapped around me aswell.”I’d be dead without ya.”

“That’s what we’re here fer.”I pulled away and wiped my eyes.

“Ms. O’Garen?”I turned toward the Detective and put on a smile as best as I could.

“Yes?”I already knew he wanted to talk to me, I was just being polite.

“My name is Detective Smecker and I’ll be handling your case. I’d like to talk to each one of you, seperatley, if you please.”He stepped forward and nodded in our direction.”I’ll start with you, Ms -“

“You can cal me Rose.”I implied.

“Rose.”He stated softly.”If you may,”

I stepped with him and within the next many minutes explained everything. The story, my friendship with Robert, the boys – who he found quite amusing, and what happened in and at my house. Each of the brothers explained their side and before we knew it, everyone, except for myself, Connor and Murphy, were leaving.

“Well, you have no charges against you or your friends, Rose. It’s up to you whether or not you stay here, which I highly suggest you don’t, or somewhere else for the day couple of days. We’ll keep a close eye on you so let us know it anything comes up.”Smecker, with one last goodbye, turned on his heel and left in the last patrol car.

I turned back toward my house and felt warmth come to my eyes. Within one day so much has happened and I didn’t know how to deal with it. My eyes caught sight of a lit cigarette and I chuckled softly.

“Thanks lad.”I stuck it between my lips and inhaled deeply.”I don’t know what I’d do without ya boys.”

“If you’d asked her that a year ago she’d be wishin’ us dead.”Connor looked over at Murphy.

“Aye. She would.”He smiled.

I only smiled to hide my oncoming breakdown. There had to be more coming for me. This was no “little thing”.

“I hope ya know yer stayin’ at our place fer now.”Connor stated.

“I just need a few things.”I mumbled softly.

But I didn’t want to go back inside. I could see it now – the blood stained walls and carpet, a bullet hole or two. Thinking of all the violence was making me lightheaded.

“Woah,”Connor gripped my shoulder as I began to sway.

“I’m alright. I just,”I sniffled softly, feeling my oncoming tears.”I can’t,”

“Rose, don’t worry about it.”Murphy smiled.”Come home with us. We can lend ya a t-shirt to sleep in. It’s no problem. We’ll get this cleaned up tomorrow.”

“Thankya boys. I really appreciate it.”I took one last drag before tossing out my cigarette.

“No problem. We’ll call someone to clean this up fer ya. Call out tomorrow. Take a break, alright? Ya need it.”Connor stated gently.”They’ll understand.”

“I will. Let’s just go to bed boys. It’s been a long day.”I linked my arms in theirs and we began our short walk home.

Connor and Murphy watched as Roisin’s chest rose and fell. They sat at the table, contemplating their next move. The Italian’s belongings sat on the table, almost mocking their ideas. Murphy cleared his throat, ending the staring contest.

“There will be more.”Connor whispered in a growl.”Ya know there will be.”

“Aye.”Murphy starred off into space as smoke crawled out of his nose.”We’re gonna need some guns.”

“Good ones too. Not this bounty hunter bullshit. God damn glock is no good against what we’re walkin’ into.”Connor stated.

“I know a place.”Murphy said.”Kinda like a black market sale.”

Connor nodded as he took a pull from his own cigarette. The beeper on the table suddenly went off, suprising the twins. They each lept for the obnoxious square and forced it to stop. They looked over at Roisin, who only stirred in her sleep. Connor pulled it into his hands and grinned. With a swift hand movement he was dialing the phone number on the cell. He urged for a pen and paper as ringing met his ear. All he got in return was a pencil and a pizza box. On the last ring it picked up.

“Venite a piazza re. 9:00 taglienti.”The phone hung up and Connor flipped the phone shut after he finished scribbling the address down. (Come to the King’s Plaza. 9:00 sharp.) may be wrong. i’m horrible at italian.

“King’s plaza. Nine o’ clock.”He stated softly.

“What about Roisin?”Murphy questioned.

“Say yer goodbyes Murph. We may not come back.”Connor leaned back in his chair.

He tried to hide it, but Murphy saw his worried look.