Status: Under Construction

You Are Here

Walls Caved In

There was always somewhere I'd rather be. Long before Keegans arrival, I wanted to be anywhere but Kenton, South Carolina. When I was at school, I had my nose hidden deep within the history books or in a travel magazine. While other girls gossiped about who was taking whom to prom I thought about where I would go if I had the means. When I was at home, I was constantly letting my mind drift - off towards golden sunsets and exotic people. I wanted more than anything to see every inch of this planet. The undersea volcanoes to the top of Mt. Everest. I wanted to see it all, I wanted to know it all and tell other people about the glories of the world.

That seemed so romantic to me, never laying your head in one place for too long. Staying long enough to get accustomed then changing everything. Change was exotic and exhilarating. Two words that never described The Kenton Inn or my life.

Every day was exactly like the others, waking up and eating breakfast in silence. Doing whatever needed to be done all day long then going to bed while the sun set. Only now, my days became a little more flustering.

I had tried to ignore Keegan all week, but living only two doors down from someone makes that quite a challenge. Especially when you share a bathroom.

I hadn't apologized yet and I didn't really know how to go about it. I just knew that I should at some point. It wasn't right that I had pushed his buttons like that. Every time we would pass each other he would mumble bitch just loud enough for me to hear it. Just loud enough for it to sting. I was secretly hoping that he would just forget about it and leave. Be on his merry way to wherever he was going.

I figured that I would never get the truth from him, but I desperately wanted to know why he was here. If he was passing through or realized he didn't know where he was going. I wanted to know his story, it seemed so much more intriguing than mine. He literally arrived with the clothes on his back and the motorcycle he rode in on. As impatient as I was to see him leave I really wanted to know why he arrived, what life choices led him to Kenton.

I was ready to stop thinking about Keegan and start thinking about the world so I rolled out of bed grabbing a towel and my clothes. I headed towards the bathroom at the end of the hall. My fingers barely touched the handle when the door swung open.

Hair dripping and wearing the same clothes as yesterday, Keegan look downright disgusted to see me on the other side of the threshold. All thoughts of apologizing sat on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't function or at least say that I was sorry.

"Get out of my way," he stuck out his arm and pushed past me. "bitch." My mind spun with all the things I could say, all the things I wanted to say but it seemed that my mouth was incapable of letting me speak.

I shouted a rushed I'm sorry! but it was too late, Keegan had slammed his door shut so hard I through the walls would cave in. I kind of hoped that they did.

Image


After my shower I pulled out my notebook and started writing Keegan a letter. I was trying to use my best hand writing but I had so much to say that I just tried to write as fast as I could. The words were barely legible but I hoped that he would understand that I really was sorry for being so mean. When I was finished I folded it shut and slipped it under his door. I didn't re-read it or even give myself a chance to chicken out.

I panicked though and nearly sprinted downstairs. I could hear my mother whistling in the kitchen and my father was calling for me. He shuffled into the lobby holding a can of paint and a brush. "Peaches, good thing I found you. I need you to finish the porch for me. You can do the second coat tomorrow."

"My hand," he raised an eyebrow at me, what about it? "Well, why can't Keegan do it? He's our grounds keeper."

"Because I'm asking you to do it." I didn't want to fight about anything anymore. I could barely function with Keegan mad at me. Having my father angry would only make me feel worse. I took the can and brush and walked into the hot air.

I could smell the rain in that air and I knew it'd be about an hour before it poured. Rain was a constant, every day like clockwork it poured for fifteen minutes then the sun came back out and dried everything off.

Getting the lid off of the can was the hardest part but after that I mindlessly brushed a glossy white onto the bare wood. I felt like I was helping dress the Inn up a little and that maybe this would make people want to come inside. I let my mind think of the Inn filled with guests. The wallpaper wasn't falling off the walls, the furniture was in use and all of the windows opened. Everyone was having a grand old time chasing children up and down the halls. It was nice to think about but I knew it would never happen.

I stopped painting when I heard the clicking of boots on the porch. Keegan stood in front of me looking livid as ever. He held up my letter and with a flick of his lighter set it on fire. He dropped it to the ground and let it burn. Watching as the corners and edges curled inward and turned to dust. When he had enough he put the small flame out with his shoe and left.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really like how I've set up the next chapter. But I need to work on the Ugly Duckling some more.

Don't Be A Silent Reader.