Status: Complete

The Heart Does Go On

Chapter 40 - "You're SUING ME?"

I sighed as I leaned back on my chair at the yearbook committee meeting. Life was finally good for the first time in a long time. I had awesome friends; I had an awesome boyfriend (Who gave me rides to and from school, and the weather was now getting VERY cold and rainy) and I had an awesome job that gave me a lot of money for someone my age.

Tarnie walked into the room, and tipped my chair backwards, making me fall over. She let out a loud snicker.

“That’s how your little ‘book’ idea is going to go. Crashing down.” Tarnie said to me, and went to the front of the classroom.

“After discussions with the principal, we’ve decided that we’re going with the DVD idea, and we’re not going to take a student vote. We need to get these DVDs underway ASAP, and I’ve said it a million times before, DVDs are so much more efficient than a stupid ratty old book.” Tarnie spat.

“Are you TRYING to become the most hated in the school?” Someone yelled from behind me.

Tarnie decided to ignore her comment.

“Seriously, Tarnie. Get off your power stool for one second and look around. Everyone HATES the DVD idea. We’ve had expert opinion saying that DVDs will become obsolete and in 30 years time the DVD will not be able to be played due to advances in technology. Books never become obsolete no matter what you say!” I argued.

“Yeah well, DVDs are big in America!” Tarnie shouted.

“This is Japan, not some white trash American hick town!” I shouted back.

“WELL AT LEAST MY SMALL TOWN HAD LESS HOOKERS THAN L.A. I KNOW THAT WAS YOUR PROFESSION YOU UGLY SLUT!” Tarnie shouted at me.

“You know what? I’m going to ignore that comment. I quit this committee. I’m not going to participate in something I disagree with strongly. Don’t expect me to treasure your DVD. I’ll use it once as a throwing disk, that will give more amusement than whatever content you could put on it.” I snarled, stood up and walked off.

“Amen to that, sister!” Kathryn agreed, following me out.

Tea got up too, which resulted in most people getting up and leaving.

“Whatever. Better off without you losers!” Tarnie called out, and I giggled.

This wasn’t the end, I was going to beat Tarnie at her game, and show her that power figures can be bought down. I was going to start by approaching the powerful figure on my side.

I walked into an empty classroom, and saw Seto in there reading a book.

“Is the meeting already over?” He asked me, kissing my cheek as I sat next to him.

“Yeah. Everyone walked out, she scrapped the idea of a student vote in favour of automatically just doing the DVD. She also attempted to defame me in front of the class, claiming I was an L.A. hooker.” I stated.

“We could give her the shock of her life and threaten legal action,” Seto suggested.

“What, bribe her to do a student vote or we sue her? That’s too easy. I want to bring this bitch to her knees. Besides, knowing her, she would double cross us.” I said.

“True.” Seto agreed.

“But, that could still work. We can attempt to discredit her. If she’s facing legal action, she’ll be discredited in the teacher’s eyes. And it’s going to be easy to discredit her in the student’s eyes because everyone hates her.” I explained.

“Ella, you’re onto something. Let me use my connections, and operation discrediting starts tonight.” Seto grinned.

***

Seto and I were sitting under a tree, having a clear view of the school gate. Seto had told me he called up the legal firm he uses (Seto explained to me once that after the big 5 tried to take over his corporation and he fired them, he outsources some of their functions, including legal) to threaten Tarnie with legal action. He said that an actual lawyer serving her is much more intimidating and holds more weight than me going up to her crying ‘you’re so sued!’ and he was right.

We saw Tarnie approach the school gate, and the lawyer that Seto had hired walk towards her.

“Hi, I’m here to tell you that on behalf of Miss Ella Campbell, she’s initiating legal action against you for the tort of defamation. No date has been settled yet for court, but as soon as it happens you’ll be hearing from me again. Here’s the papers explaining all of this, have a nice day.” The lawyer served, briskly walking off while Tarnie read the papers.

A few teachers and students were looking in awe, and began to discuss it straight away.

“Now!” I hissed to Seto, and we got up and walked out of the school gate hand in hand.

“You’re SUING ME?” Tarnie screeched once she saw me.

“Yep. You defamed me in front of the yearbook committee, claiming my past career was prostitution. That’s defamation, and that’s a sue-able offence.” I winked, and walked off with Seto.

Phase one, complete. I wasn’t going to dish out phase two for another week or so, because this had to be done over time so I could get the most out of each phase. But by the end of my little plot, Tarnie will either let the student body decide whether they want an actual book for the year book (which they do, I’ve already conducted votes) or she will be forced to step down, allowing the year book to once again be student run, not “tyrant bitch” run.C