Status: Complete

The Heart Does Go On

Chapter 45 - "Dukey why didn't you invite me?"

After I got back from the convenience store, I decided to start on my weekend chores. If I were to be busy with Seto tomorrow, everything would have to be done today.

I had a load of laundry on and I settled on some accounting homework. I got frustrated that my balance sheet didn’t balance, and not feeling to be bothered to check all my figures, I swore and threw my pencil across the room.

I heard some chuckling, and looked up to see Yami leaning on my doorframe, arms crossed.

“How long were you standing there?” I snapped at him.

“A while.” He replied, sounding short.

I glared at him a little. I hadn’t spoken to Yami since he confronted me saying Seto will always take work too seriously.

He was right though…Seto had blown me off completely today to go to work, and small incidents had happened in the past. Hmm…maybe I was too harsh on the guy. Maybe I shouldn’t be a bitch to him. He was just looking out for a friend after all.

I softened my look and asked ‘how did you get in?’

“Your father let me in. He didn’t look too pleased to see me though.” Yami replied.

It was now my turn to chuckle.

“Yeah. My Dad will let me out until 5am and won’t ask a single question, but the second any guy comes to the house he gets pissed off.” I explained.

Yami smirked, but said no reply.

“So what do I owe you the pleasure of this visit?” I asked him.

“I saw the article in the Domino Times about you.” Yami shrugged.

“Come to see me before I get famous? Come to get my autograph?” I smiled and joked.

“Actually, I’m concerned about you.” Yami said.

“Um, should we have a seat?” I asked, knowing this was going to take a while.

Yami said nothing as he walked in and sat on my bed, I sat next to him.

“I’m concerned because I read of Kaiba’s reaction. He apparently ‘dragged you off’ is this true?” Yami asked.

“Yes, it’s true” I sighed, knowing where this was going.

“I learned my lesson last time not to get involved, but I just want you to know that I’m concerned for you. We all are. Including Duke.” Yami sighed.

I didn’t know how to react. A part of me yearned for the answer, and agreed with everything Yami was saying, after the way that Seto had been treating me lately. However I still had strong feelings for Seto, and I didn’t want to hear any hurtful things that anyone had to say about him. That part of me conquered the other part, so I stayed silent.

“Do you have plans today?” Yami asked me, after a while of silence.

“Um, laundry, homework. That’s it.” I weakly smiled.

“You should come out with us. Yugi, Joey, Tristan, Tea, Bakura and Duke are going to hang out.” Yami offered

“I could I guess, but I need to wait for this load of laundry to be done and hang it up before I go out.” I accepted.

“Okay. We’ll call someone to pick us up from here then.” Yami said.

“We’ll call Duke…because I take it Joey is taking Bakura too, that would leave no room for me. Duke may as well use up empty spaces in his car, he never drives anyway.” I shrugged.

***

Duke picked up both Yami and I about an hour later. I decided not to go all out on my looks today, I just changed into a black hoodie with a pink polo shirt underneath, with some plain light blue jeans. I didn’t change my hair or my make-up.

“Dukey why didn’t you invite me?” I pouted, once I jumped into the passenger seat.

“I figured you’d be busy with Kaiba. Kathryn has pretty much stated that she’ll never see us on weekends anymore because she’ll always be with Sam. I thought the same might apply with you.” Duke replied, as he began to drive off.

“Kathryn is an idiot who doesn’t know where her priorities lie. Besides, her and Sam will be over before the honeymoon period ends anyway. Kathryn is like me a few years ago, major commit-a-phobe with an addiction to the honeymoon period. If Sam is anything like you as well, he’ll be the same.” I explained.

“Yeah, you’re right. Sam is exactly like that. With two people with those feelings who won’t try and save the relationship, in about two weeks Kathryn will call us up on Saturday demanding to hang out.” Duke snickered.

“Imagine what Tea would say.” I added, and for the first time Yami joined in and laughed.

General chitchat was made for the rest of the short ride, with Yami telling Duke about the article. Duke found the whole thing hilarious, and couldn’t stop laughing the whole time.

We finally arrived at the mall and jumped out of the car, ready to find the others. I had noticed that Yami had turned back into Yugi, just in time to greet the others.