Status: Complete

The Heart Does Go On

Chapter 48 - "I have a plan B"

I was walking briskly home with Tea on the day of the dance. Some girls had opted to not go to school at all on the day, others were leaving early. I was one of the ones leaving early.

I had my last class off, but decided to go home at lunch, skipping my second last class.

Tea decided to walk home with me as well, however Kathryn was one of the girls who took the whole day off.

“I’m so excited!” Tea squealed in an excited tone.

“Me too. It should be fun.” I weakly smiled.

“And you didn’t want to go!” Tea giggled.

We stayed silent for a few seconds, basking in our thoughts of what will happen tonight at the dance.

“I wish you were coming in our limousine.” Tea said, sounding sad.

“Me too. But there wasn’t enough room, and I couldn’t go separately from my date. Seto would have killed me.” I replied.

“Yeah.” Tea replied.

“So did Joey end up finding a date?” I asked, quite curious.

I felt a little sorry for Joey, everyone had a date except him. Well, Duke didn’t have a date either. But Duke didn’t want a date, he was going to the dance to pick up, and did not want any girl bringing him down.

“No, but Tristan doesn’t have a date either. Serenity went back to America to visit her Mum, and can’t make it tonight. So now Joey isn’t so alone, and besides he’s happy about not having a date tonight, he and Duke decided to team up to find unsuspecting girls.” Tea giggled.

I held a weird feeling inside of me once I learned this information. It wasn’t jealousy, but it felt weird. I think I was just adjusting to the change that was happening before me. I was used to Joey having feelings and affection for me, I had to adjust to a change of him not doing those things.

It was definitely not jealousy though, I knew that. I had moved on, and it was only fair for Joey to do the same. I just had to adjust to that, the way Joey had to adjust to Seto and I.

There was one thing that plagued my mind from Tea’s statement though.

“Is Joey a sort of womanizer or something? Or at least, attempts to be?” I asked Tea, trying to slowly get to the point so she wouldn’t get suspicious.

“Haha, no. He tries to be, but it’s only ever worked a few times.” Tea laughed.

“Worked a few times, how so?” I asked cocking up an eyebrow, knowing that I was going somewhere with this information.

“He um…” Tea started, but quickly stopped, obviously not wanting me to know the answer to that question.

“Hey you don’t have to tell me I’m just curious. Joey and I have broken up, and I’ve moved on. It’s not like I desperately need to know.” I shrugged.

“Okay fine. He’s had a few one night stands.” Tea blushed.

“That’s all? I’ve pretty much known that for a long time, it was easy to guess.” I shrugged, happy with her answer.

At least I know for sure now.

“So how are you getting to the dance? You’ve been keeping us all in suspense all week?” Tea asked, trying to shift the topic.

“Alright fine, I’ll tell you now. Just because I’m so excited!” I squealed, “We’re going in a horse drawn carriage!”

“Oh that’s so classy! That puts our limousine ride to shame!” Tea exclaimed, while we stopped as we arrived outside my house.

“Are you serious? While it is classy, unusual and I’m glad to say that I’m doing it, we’re going to look so out of place! You and the gang will look so modern and sleek coming out of a limousine.” I replied.

“Like you do everyday, hm?” Tea said, regarding my constant rides with Seto in his limousine.

“Oh shush. Anyway, I’d love to stay and chat but we both have a dance to get ready for! You also have half a kilometre to walk too.” I said, and Tea quickly hugged me and ran off.

I collected the mail (nothing for me) and went inside, to get ready for the dance.

I started by running a warm relaxing bath for myself. I pinned up my hair so it wouldn’t get wet (I washed it the night before so my curls would stay put when I curled it tonight) and used nice smelling oils and gels to make my body smell nice whilst I shaved.

Once I dried myself off and put on some lounge around clothes, I decided to do my hair. I decided to do an up do, by straightening most of my hair in the up do, leaving my bangs and a few pieces down and curled.

After slaving over my hair, it looked real nice. I had about 40 minutes before Seto was to pick me up (6.30) and I heard Dad walk in.

He smirked as he saw me, but made no comment as he slid past me in the hallway.

I then went back into my room to use some sweet smelling strawberry body butter, and slipped on my black dress. It looked perfect on me. I sprayed on some sweet perfume scent as well as did my make-up.

I decided to wait in the lounge room as always, with my small bag only holding my essentials.

Suddenly and unexpected, my phone went off.

“Hello?” I asked, seeing the I.D. as ‘Kaiba’

“Look Ella, I hate to tell you this, but I had to cancel the horse drawn carriage.” Seto informed me.

“That’s okay, will we be going in the limousine instead?” I asked him.

“No. You see, an emergency has come up at Kaiba corp, and I will not be attending the dance tonight.” Seto explained to me.

What.

What.

WHAT?!?!

I kept my cool long enough to see if he would even apologise. He wouldn’t.

“So you call me 20 minutes before you’re meant to be picking me up, telling me you’re not coming at all?” I angrily asked.

“I told you, the emergency JUST came up.” Seto spat at me.

“You can’t take one night off just to take me to a measly dance?” I asked, a little hurt.

“Exactly. Because it’s just a measly dance.” Seto scoffed.

“Look. I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and I don’t think we’re compatible at this time in my life. You have an entire company to run, and I never know when I’m going to see you, and I’m always going to take the backseat. I just don’t think a 17-year-old girl like me should be in a relationship like this. I probably shouldn’t be saying this over the phone, but the timing is perfect.” I explained.

“You can’t dump me first. I’m dumping you! I was wrong about you Ella. You’re just a silly little girl. Enjoy your silly little dance.” Seto yelled at me, and with a swift *click* the line went dead.

Grrr!

I felt a little sad that things ended the way they did, but I was glad I got that off my chest, and things ended before any more time or feelings could be invested in that relationship.

“Did Kaiba just cancel on you?” Dad asked, popping his head in the room.

“Yeah, but I have a plan B.” I smirked, going through my contacts on my phone and coming across the name I needed.

“Hey Tea, it’s me! Ella. I was just wondering, do you still have that spare spot in your limousine?” I asked, as soon as she answered.