‹ Prequel: Happily Ever After
Sequel: Melting Ice
Status: Complete

I'm Simply Leaving

Emotionless Voice

Shane's point of view.
3 Months Ago...
The Pisa Suite in the Alexandria Hotel.

I awoke in a daze. I was so relaxed and happy. The bed was soft and rumpled in the aftermath of our explosive sex. I reached over to embrace him, but felt only cold sheets. I lifted my head and saw that the love of my life was nowhere in sight. On the bedside table was breakfast and I heard my stomach growl. After I had eaten, I went to the bathroom.

I noticed that his toothbrush was gone. My heart started to beat faster and I felt panic rack my body. I opened the closet and all his clothes were gone. I ran for my phone. No missed calls or messages. My hands were shaking so much that I couldn't dial his number.

Finally the phone connected and started ringing. On the third ring, a very hoarse and emotionless voice asked, "What!"

"I... but I...you-"

"What the fuck do you want?" he asked impatiently.

Why was he acting like this? "Baby, where are you?"

"The airport," he replied, as if it were obvious.

"What? Why? Do you have to go back to work? Why didn't you wake me? What's going on?" I asked a million questions an hour and finally he yelled at me to be quiet.

"Enough! No, my work didn't call me. I'm simply leaving."

"But why?" I cried. I felt tears sting my eyes and my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my throat. I had to hold onto the back of a chair to keep myself from falling.

"There's someone else," he stated and I stopped breathing, "and even if there wasn't, I would have left you in any case. You're too young for me. Too childish."

"No," I mumbled, "NO!"

"I'm sorry if I led you on, but I thought you knew that our relationship was just for fun."

His words cut like a knife, but I couldn't help but plead, "But what did I do wrong? Was it the sex? I can do better, I promise. It's just that it was my first time and I didn't know what to do and-"

"I JUST DON'T LOVE YOU!" he took a deep breath, "Look, I'm sorry. About everything. Goodbye."

The phone went dead and my heart followed. With all my strength, I threw my phone against the wall and as I watched it shatter, my legs gave in and I crumpled to the floor.

I couldn't breath. I was crying, screaming and cursing myself all at the same time. How could he do this to me? I thought he loved me. He MADE love to me. I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

I eventually laid my head on the ground and submersed myself in darkness.