‹ Prequel: Happily Ever After
Sequel: Melting Ice
Status: Complete

I'm Simply Leaving

Exposed Wiring

Shane’s point of view.
His dorm room.

I met someone today. I was sitting in a coffee shop, studying, when he walked in. The shop was filled to the max with people and the only semi-open booth was mine. So, when he walked up to me and cleared his voice to get my attention, I looked up into a gorgeous pair of blue eyes.

He asked to sit across from me and promised to be quiet as a mouse. Of course, I said that he could. If only just to stare at him. True to his word, he kept silent - much to my disappointment - and after an hour I had to leave to go to class.

I truly hope that he might be there tomorrow.

~**~

When I got to the coffee shop the next day, I sat down in my usual booth. He walked in fifteen minutes later and luckily for me the place was packed again. Without a word, he slid into the seat opposite me, took out his laptop, gave me smile and started typing away.

He had a beautiful smile and for an hour I continued to peer at him over the top of my business accounting book.

The next day played out the exact same deck of cards and for a week we had the routine of sitting opposite each other, not saying a word and me continuing to stare at him.

Stalker much? Honestly, I’m mooning over a guy whose name I don’t even know! But I couldn’t seem to look away. On some level I actually think that it’s kind of healthy to obsess over someone other than Aiden and his lover. Although, my schoolwork is starting to suffer for it and yet, which would you rather like; a college degree or some of your sanity?

~**~

On Wednesday, the following week, I was actually trying my best to focus on the words of the page, when guy-whose-name-I-don’t-know-but-I-think-about-him-all-the-time, slammed his laptop shut in frustration and made me jump in my seat. I looked up to see him run a hand through his ash blonde hair and then he looked at me.

He must have seen a startled look on my face, because he sighed and then said, “I’m sorry. I’m just so bloody frustrated.”

“Anything I can do to help?” I asked, just to hear him speak again.

“It’s just that… well, I…” he gave another sigh and seemed to be searching for the right words, “We’ve been sitting here for more than a week and I still don’t know your name,” he finally managed.

“Oh,” I was shocked. Here I was, obsessing over him when he’s been doing the same about me, “I’m Shane.”

“Conrad,” he said, holding out his hand. While shaking, I thought to myself how weird this was. And that he seemed nice, if not a bit shy.

For a second, guilt flushed through me over betraying Aiden, but then I remembered that he was the one who quite literally fucked me over and the unease went away. I deserve to be happy.

I have to admit though that it is fun - at the end of the day - to kick your ex’s new boyfriend into exposed wiring. The thought made me smile and I tuned back in to what Conrad was telling me.

I sincerely hope that having a friendship with him will be good for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wasn't planning on giving Shane a love interest... it just kind of happened. I was staring at the screen and all that I had was Chapter 10 and Shane's pov. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. So I'm going with it.

Do let me know what you think.

This chapter is dedicated to MirrorRain - whose whitty comments always leave me shaking my head in amusement - and Mat Ryde; to thank them for commenting on the last chapter.

Check out the character page to see hottie Conrad.

Comments make me update...