‹ Prequel: Happily Ever After
Sequel: Melting Ice
Status: Complete

I'm Simply Leaving

Lady Hakar

Kayla’s point of view.
Prince Vereham al a’Karim bin Hakar’s home in Yemen, Saudi Arabia.
Present time.

A scream - filled with terror and sheer heartbreak - vibrated through the house. I was instantly awake and reaching for my daggers. Michael had often complained about my taking weapons to bed, but it was for occasions exactly like these. After making sure that there was no threat in the room, I put down my blades and reached for a robe to cover my completely naked body. Michael sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. The scream hadn’t woken him, but my quick reactions had.

“What’s going on?” he mumbled.

“Some woman screaming woke me up. I’m going to check it out. You seriously didn’t hear it?”

“No, I only woke up when my dick was no longer nestled between your thighs.”

I shook my head, laughing, “you’re so crass. I swear you sleep like the dead these days.”

“I know. It’s wonderful. I can sleep soundly, because you’re such a badass. I know you’d never let anything harm me.”

I laughed harder. Only a true man, or a very lazy person would admit to being emasculated like that.

I absolutely loved that about him. He literally shared everything with me. I sometimes wondered if he really was a man… then he’d fuck me until I can barely get out of bed and I’m assured of his manliness.

Again picking up a dagger, I crept out the room and down the hall, towards the sound of uncontrollable crying. As the house was quite big, it took me a few minutes to get there and it turns out that there was the prince’s bedroom. When I walked in, I found a group of people standing over the body of the now dead prince. As I got closer, I could see that there was a knife sticking out of his neck. What a way to go…

When the guards arrived, I sprang into action.

“Captain Williams, the prince has been murdered. Lock down the house and post sentry’s at all the gates. Nobody gets in or out without my say-so. Have someone gather all the people on the grounds and put them in the ballroom. I’ll be having one-on-one interviews to figure out what the hell has happened.”

He immediately did as he was told and barked out orders to the rest of the guards with him. Feeling reassured that everything was under control, I headed back to my room to put on proper clothing and get Michael’s sexy ass out of bed to help me deal with this shit.
After arriving and telling him what happened, he instantly jumped to my defence, even though no one was accusing me.

“Kayla, people will think you did it. Whoever did it will probably try to put all the blame on you. And I mean why not? You were here, you definitely have the means, since you are a trained assassin and you’re next in line to become the νύχτα, so there is your motive. On top of that; your only alibi is me and I’m your mate, so why wouldn’t I support you?”

“Whoa, Mishka, calm down. I love that you’re jumping over to my defence, but it hasn’t reached that point yet. Let’s first question everyone and find the truth. I need you to get up and get dressed, so that you can help me with this,” he did as I asked and I continued explaining how we were going to handle everything.

As one, we left our room and headed for the ballroom. I got the captain and we made our interrogation room in the study. Michael went with another guard to the prince’s quarters to move his body from the floor to the walk-in freezer in the kitchen. We needed to preserve his body until we could hold the burial.

~**~

It seems that intensive interrogation skills weren’t needed after all. Which made me feel kind of stupid…

As it turns out, it was an act of passion.

Lady Hakar, although not Vereham’s mate, but still his wife, had known that he was cheating on her, all of her life. His mistresses were humans and so she thought them beneath her, until she found him in bed with her replacement. The new woman was also a vampire and Vereham was planning to bind with her, this angered his wife and with the knife the lovers had used for a midnight snack, she picked it up and shoved it deep in his neck.

Saddened that my detective skills had gone to waste, I ordered the wife apprehended and locked in the basement. I put in a phone call to all of the remaining Ancients to explain what had occurred, headed to my room and then fell in a heap onto Michael’s bare chest, exhausted.

“And to think, you thought people were going to blame me,” I mumbled sleepily.

“I just wanted you to consider all the variables. Sometimes you can be very naïve, surprising, since you’re so old. Speaking of which, you do realize that you are now the oldest person on the planet…”

I gasped and sat up, my exhaustion suddenly gone, “By the gods, you’re right!”

“Babe, there’s no reason to freak out. I’ve told you before that I’ll love you, despite the fact that you’re older than the mountains,” he reassured with a lopsided grin.

“No, Michael, you don’t understand. You said so earlier yourself that I’m next in line to become the νύχτα and with the prince being dead and all, that automatically makes me the head of the council. Forget the fact that I’m the oldest, I’m now the most powerful and influential person on this earth. I have control over everything. Governments, world currency, people’s lives, I own them all, I have to decide what’s right for the future, how people should live… all of that responsibility lies with me.”

He looked at me in shock and I could see millions of questions running through his mind.

“I don’t understand, you’re the head of the vampire council, right? So, why the hell does all of this responsibility over humans fall on you? What does the condition of human lives affect us for?”

“It’s quite simple, honey, we live off the humans, like parasites. Not only do they provide us sustenance, but we also live in their cities with their technology. We are dependant on them. It is true that many years ago, we didn’t interfere, however we did sometimes lend an aiding hand to push them in the right direction, but all that has changed.”

“But why has it changed? What does government and world currency have to do with us? There isn’t one vampire that’s poor and none of them would dare enter politics…”

“Well, after the whole fiasco with Hitler and the Wall Street Crash, we decided that it would be best if people who knew what they were doing, had control of the reins.”

“Sounds smart, although I’m sorry that the bastard died and left all this crap to you. I can see that you don’t want it.”

“Dammit, I really don’t. I just found you and we’re still honeymooning.”

“You do remember that we are not married, right?”

“Yes, of course, but we are newly mated and I don’t want to cut our trip short, because I have to go be a monarch.”

“We can continue honeymooning when all the dust lies down, Kayla.”

“But, what if we never find time again?”

“Oh, come now, Vereham has had thousands of mistresses over the years… If he could maintain such an active social life, then I’m sure we can too.”

“Let’s talk about it in the morning,” I said, after switching off the light.

“Babe, it already is morning…”

“Don’t be an ass.”

He just chuckled.
♠ ♠ ♠
I bet no one saw that coming... Kayla's basically going to become a queen.

Last night when I wrote this chapter, I was very pleased with it. But after now re-reading it and editing, I just don't like it anymore. I think I might be too obsessive about it being perfect.

So, I just got back from vacation two hours ago. We drove from two this morning, until just before 8 tonight. 1500km in 16 hours. Roadworks were a bitch. I also haven't slept in two days... (I'm not a doctor, but I think that might be why I don't Like the chapter...)

What do we think of the layout?
Alrighty then, gonna hit the sack. Please comment.