I'm not Superman; I'm Garrett

oo1

‘You’re Garrett, the Garrett Nickelsen, you can have anyone you desire, you can even pick from all those girls out there and in a matter of minutes, maybe seconds you could capture her heart,’ Kaylee explained as she tried to avoid Garrett’s emerald orbs. ‘But I still don’t understand that among all those girls, you still want me,’

Garrett motioned her finger on Kaylee’s chin and jerked it to him, ‘They’re nothing compared to you Kayls,’ Garrett sweetly whispered, ‘I could pick one girl from that crowd out there and just smile at them but my heart just won’t be in it, knowing that it’s already with you,’

Kaylee sighed, ‘Garett,’

Garrett sighed more, ‘Why can’t you just give me a chance and let me love you?’

Kaylee looked at him now, her eyes were clogged by those tears she was holding in for so long, she was eyeing him eye to eye, ‘Garrett, listen,’ she muttered silently, ‘I’m already struggling holding my heart, what more if I’m going to juggle both yours and mine?’

Garrett started to move in closer while he held Kaylee’s face between both his palms, rubbing away those tears that were streaming down her face, ‘Just keep mine, don’t juggle,’ he smiled weakly looking at her, ‘You suck at juggling, no offense,’ he joked under his breath.

Kaylee smiled at him while they both pulled in closer and laid both their foreheads against each other. ‘Garrett,’ Kaylee breathed. Garrett felt her breath on his lips. Then he lowered both his hands, as he stared dumbly at her, absorbing those features she had; her ocean-blue eyes, her brown curls falling on her shoulders, her roseate cheeks and that red lips that he wanted to feel ever since.

‘I’m not superman; I can’t save you whenever you’re in trouble. I’m not Spiderman; I couldn’t make a big web for you where we can lie on whenever we feel like it. I’m not Shark boy, I can’t swim the whole ocean and catch you all the sushi in the world, I can’t even be Peter Pan and fly you to Neverland and let you be the mother of the Lost Boys. I can’t be Jacob Black and transform to a big puppy and let you ride me when you need a boost. I can’t be Edward Cullen and be all sparkly in the sun but even if I can be Edward Cullen, I wouldn’t want to, ‘coz I am Garrett Nickelsen, the bass player of the Maine, and I wouldn’t want to drink your blood, and as me, I can love you mortally,’ Garrett breathed. ‘Call me corny, call me cheesy, but that’s everything that I actually think about,’

Kaylee was smiling as tears were rolling down her cheeks, ‘I wouldn’t want you to be a vampire anyway, nor be Superman, I wouldn’t want you wearing underwear over your pants,’ as she placed her palm on Garrett’s face. ‘But I’m disappointed about not being Jacob Black,’

Garrett blushed, ‘I’m sorry for not being hot and full-abed like him, I don’t spend 24 hours in the gym, for your information,’ he muttered as he placed both his palms on top of her. ‘I sorry I can’t be good enough,’

Kaylee frowned. She didn’t mean it like that; she didn’t mean that he wasn’t good enough for her. He was out for her league. She was the one who wasn’t near enough for him. She can’t stand the fact that Garrett is into her. That fact just won’t sink into her system and it just disturbs her. She doesn’t want another broken heart. She doesn’t want to be open. She doesn’t want another John O’Callaghan in her life. She knows that it’s so selfish of her to compare Garrett and John both. But she’s just trying to shield her heart knowing how bad it hurts to be hit.

‘Is this about John?’

Kaylee gulped. She knew that Garrett was right. It was about John. But it wasn’t all about
John but it was also about her being scared, afraid even.

‘I won’t hurt you,’ Garrett stated, ‘I’m here and I won’t leave you. You’re the only girl I saw the moment you arrived in that bar with John. You were the only girl I noticed that has fireworks behind her every time you smile. You were the only girl I have always wanted, the moment John said, ‘This is Kaylee,’ it would’ve been perfect, without him saying, ‘This is my girlfriend,’ added to your name. It would’ve been so momentous for me, just staring at that smile of yours. But knowing that John owned you, I felt helpless. ‘Coz every time you smiled, it was him you were looking at. And yes, I was hurt too. Maybe not as hurt as you feel right now, but I had my share. And believe me, I don’t want it to happen, that’s why right here, right now, I’m not letting go,’

Kaylee half-smiled, ‘Are you sure you’re not going to let go?’ her eyes, pouting in their sparkles, reflecting the light in her room, hazel dark yellow.

‘Yeah,’ Garrett said seriously as he admired the yellow orbs that were glistening before him. He stared at them blankly as they continue to attract him.

‘Too bad I don’t feel it,’ Kaylee frowned, looking down, not showing those orbs at him. She stared blankly at her dull, pale hands that were constantly moving, shaking.

Garrett spread his hands towards Kaylee’s moving hands and held it tightly. ‘How about now?’ as he felt the cold brushes of her fingertips and as he rubbed the back of her hand.

Kaylee nodded and smiled, ‘Joker,’

‘No, I’m real,’ he snapped sweetly.

‘I don’t buy it,’

Garrett smirked, ‘It’s free, buy it,’

Kaylee went silent now. She was contemplating. She stared dumbly at Garrett who was focused at her as well. How could Garrett be so straight-forward, so blunt? She thought. How could he be so comfortable saying everything he feels. Then she wished she was like him. She wished that she could express everything to someone. To someone who meant the world to them. While she thought about it, both of them fell into a comfortable silence. Garrett smiled at her as she continued to stare.

‘My turn to ask,’ Garrett started, ‘Do you love me?’

Kaylee bit her lip, frustrated. ‘I’m not ready, I told you that,’ she grimaced as she stared weakly back at Garrett.

Garrett sighed, ‘Just answer the question.’

Kaylee looked down, unable to move. But then she nodded, freely. She wanted to take a risk. She wanted to take a chance with Garrett. And so she breathed, ‘I do Garrett, I do, so much, I just don’t want to get hurt and I’m -----‘

Garrett came closer, ‘That’s all I needed to hear,’ and pulled her closer as they filled the gap between them. Kaylee felt so strong. She felt invincible with the kiss; it’s like the only thing she wanted. The kiss was everything the waited for. And it felt like it all went down to the perfect puzzle.