Status: My first attempt at something like this--feedback is greatly appreciated.

Selfishness

1/1

It was silent.

After the house being full of family and friends these past two days, offering sympathy and understanding, it was finally quiet again.

This quiet gave Ella time to think.

She couldn’t help but think about Helen, but that itself wasn’t anything new. No, Ella hadn’t stopped thinking about Helen since they first met back in high school. It was the way Ella was feeling that was different.

Anger was coursing through her, and she got up from the couch to go over to the mantle above the fireplace. There sat several framed photos, the one in the center of the two girls in an innocent kiss. Just looking at it made her mad, and she couldn’t help herself when she picked it up and threw it across the room.

The other pictures soon followed, the only noises being the sound of shattering glass when the frames hit the wall.

“Why?” Ella said, throwing another picture, “Why did you leave me? Didn’t you love me? Did the past seven years mean nothing to you?”

It wasn’t right. How could Helen just take her life like that? She had been Ella’s everything, and now she was gone.

Ella couldn’t understand it. How could Helen have been so selfish?

She knew Ella needed her. But she left, and she could never come back. The phone call telling Ella that the love of her life was dead, gone forever, had come while she was at work. At first, she didn’t believe it. Her Helen, jump off the top of a building? It was impossible; she never would have done that. But the denial only lasted so long.

For two days, Ella had felt angry, wondering why Helen would do such a selfish thing. Helen had always been such a selfless person, and to think she would run from her problems that way, knowing that she would destroy those she left behind, was enough to make Ella livid.

And after two days of holding that anger in, Ella snapped. But after every picture she had gotten her hands on lay under a heap of broken glass did she realize that she was alone. Her other half was gone.

Ella sunk to her knees, and started to cry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so this is my first attempt at a story involving recent loss. Which means it's also my first story dealing with suicide.

I've never been the greatest at conveying emotions in my writing, and I'm really nervous about this. So please, feedback and constructive criticism would be amazing.