Status: Re-Edited - Finished!

I'm Sorry

Chapter One

Three days. It’s been three days since Prince Caspian ran off, and Miraz was going insane. Doing everything in his power to hunt Caspian down and put an end to his life. Being Caspian's best friend also meant that I was often a victim to his warpath. Miraz was determined that Caspian had told me everything about his plans and would do anything to get that information from me. I was even assigned a personal escort and Miraz's nephew, Matthew. To top it all off, Miraz was so determined to keep me under his thumb that as of yesterday, Matthew was my betrothed.

As a result, I have found no solace. Everywhere I went either Miraz or Matthew were there. Watching. Waiting. Stalking.

“Anna! Anna!” Matthew calls from behind me.

Taking a slow and deliberate breath, I force a smile onto my face before turning to face him, “Yes Matthew?”

"I have been assigned as your bodyguard for the remainder of the day. Uncle Miraz seems to believe that Caspian may make a move to contact you tonight.” Matthew stated confidently, straightening his back further.

“I see." I started simply nodding as if I were in deep thought.

“Anna-” He starts, clearly wanting to smooth things over between us.

“Matthew, forgive me, it has been a very long day. I am quite exhausted, from the...extensive...questioning from your Uncle this morning. I think I will retire for the rest of the night and therefore your services will no longer be necessary." With a swift curtsy, I swiftly return to my room, desperately trying not to make eye contact and see his disappointment.

Quickly closing the door, I lean against it sighing loudly. Mathew has always been a gentleman and would be a good match for any young woman. Just not me. He was too easily manipulated by his Uncle and stubborn for his own good. He was painfully aware that I had no interest in our betrothal, yet he persisted. Before Caspian even left, he had been trying to court me and could not take "No" for an answer. Sometimes I wonder if this had been his idea all along as an excuse to make me his wife.

Shaking my head, I push away from the door and make my way over to a large and push armchair in front of the fireplace. Plopping down into the chair, I reached for my latest novel when a knock at the door started me.

"Matthew, I swear to Aslan..." I muttered, irritation clear in my voice. "Enter." I continued, attempting to sound pleasant for the second time today.

"Anna." Lucas, my younger brother, stated plainly. "Mother asked me to fetch you. She wanted to discuss the details of your betrothal over dinner."

Letting out a loud sigh, I slump into the chair further. "Tell her I am not feeling well and need to rest for the remainder of the night."

Lucas chuckled lightly, amused by my annoyance. "You know that will not work. You are lucky she sent me to fetch you nicely before she came to fetch you personally."

Groaning, I got up from my chair and straightened my skirts. Despite Lucas being the youngest Randwell child, he was quite the analytical individual. "I hate that you are always right."

The second we opened the door we were met by Miraz and Matthew.

"Ah, Lady Anna. Just the woman I was looking for. Do you have a few moments to spare?" Miraz stated with false pleasantry.

"Forgive us, Lord Miraz," Lucas cut in, "Our Mother has summoned us for a family meeting. Your additional questions regarding Prince Caspian will have to wait until tomorrow."

Trying to hide my smirk, I bowed my head slightly as if to confirm what Lucas was saying.

"I see." Miraz stated curtly, "Well then, please allow Matthew to join this 'meeting' seeing as your two families will be joined soon."

Lucas stared at Miraz blankly, refusing to give Miraz the satisfaction of displaying his distaste for the suggestion. "As you wish, my Lord." Lucas stated, bowing his head slightly before motioning for me to lead the way.

...

"Annabelle, dear" Priscilla, my Mother, shrilled from her seat at the head of the dinner table. "I did not know you had invited Matthew to dinner tonight."

"I did not, Mother." I stated, meeting her cold stare, "Lord Miraz requested Matthew join us to encourage the union of families as a result of our upcoming nuptials."

"What a wonderful idea!" Priscilla stated clapping her hands together. "Sir Matthew, I hope you know how pleased Lord Randwell and I are about your betrothal to our Annabelle."

Matthew bowed his head slightly, "Thank you Lady Randwell. I am very pleased with the betrothal as well. My Uncle was quite right when he said that Anna and I would make an excellent match. Both politically and personally." Looking directly at me, as if he was trying to convince me that it was true.

Before I could respond, Matthew wraps my arm around his and escorts me to the dining table. Ensuring that we were sitting directly across from each other. For the whole night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello Everyone!

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. I just wanted to go through and fix a couple things. For the most part, the plot remains the same. Just a few tweaks and changes.

Thanks!
Sam