Status: Creative

Beautiful Girl

The Window Beggars

Image

Mama's silky robe is wet and sticks to her skin. The water obsorbs onto me, and the rain is pelting down like stones. Thunder rolls overhead, and lightning flashes it's crooked grin among the black sky. My stomach quivers as I'm hungry and I'm desperate for food. We're in the middle of a dirty street, me tucked into mama's arms. The street is cramped and the buildings are small, the paint peeling and bars locked menacingly across the windows. Chickens and goats clutter noisely across the street, a dirty man with a stick chasing after them. It smells of urine and hot petrol. My only comfort is my hand clutching the fabric on mama's robe, her warmth heating my skin. A vehicle has stopped in front of us, a fancy one too. I stare in awe at the sleek black metal, the dark water droplets sliding off with ease. The wipers are in a frenzy, splashing water off the wide window.

The engine hums deeply and black smoke snakes out at the back of the car. I have always liked the look of cars, even if I don't see them very often. This is by far the nicest one I've seen. Mama knocks at the window, distress in her voice.

"You have money good sir? You have food good sir?" she frowns as the window stays foggy, no response.

She begs in a different language now, incase the driver is foreign. Her words sound uneven, she probaly can't speak that well. She holds me up to the smooth glass, wiping the window so the driver can see me. She whispers at me to look sad. I don't try hard, because I'm cold, hungry, wet, and I really am sad. The windows stay wiping, the car does not move. I gasp as a big flash blinds me, not the lightning, but something in the car. I catch a glimpse of a little box with a circle window staring at me. Mama's face does not change, she does not have the energy to. Mama sucks in her breath as the window rolls down slightly.

A white hand slips out, holding the most money I have ever seen, about 3 notes. I've only ever seen one note in my life. Mama smiles and praises the heavens, eagerly stretching out and taking the money. She thanks the driver, and there is no response. The wheels crunch and the car is rolling down the road, out of sight. A break of sunshine filters through the heavy mass of clouds. Mama turns to look at me with a gummy grin.

"We're eating well tonight."
♠ ♠ ♠
i know that this is a bit unrealistic as you're not supposed to give window-beggars money, but the picture saddened me so much that I wanted to give it a happy ending.