Around the World

2. "Lullaby" Austria/Roderich

:2: Lullaby (Austria/Roderich)

Ireland loved her music, she really did. Sure, America and England had influenced quite a bit of it, but that was the more modern portions of her music. The older things were what she loved more about the music part of herself; the choral music, the laments, and such—maybe even some of the old bar songs.

However, the ginger was no snob. She enjoyed other countries’ music as well.

Austria was no exception.

She positively adored his music. It was absolutely beautiful.

And Ireland felt like that was how Austria truly was inside.

Yes, he acted stern and kind of intimidating, but she knew he was a good person. Would could be a bad person and play such beautiful music on the piano?

Either way, despite the fact she was fond of the other European, when she visited his home, like anyone else’s, she had trouble sleeping. The female had a small problem with sleeping in places that wasn’t her home/bed.

That being, since she couldn’t sleep and it had been a while since she had visited the pianist, she decided to walk around—in hopes doing so would make her drowsy. Yet, as Ireland was walking around, a peaceful melodic sound echoed through the halls.

Her ears perked and herr brows furrowed.

Roderich?

Was he playing his piano? But why? Why at this hour?

Nevertheless, like usual, Ireland were drawn to the music and made her way to it.

Once she reached the door of the room where Austria kept his piano, she silently—in order to not disturb him—pulled it open and peaked in side. A small, soft smile tugged at the corners of her mouth at the sight.

With a peaceful expression and closed eyes, Austria moved his skillful fingers over the ivory keys lost in the song he was playing. Leaning against the doorframe, Ireland folded her hands behind her back and closed her eyes, savoring the elegant melody.

When he finished, Austria sighed contentedly.

Ireland applauded, which caused him to snap out of his reverie and jump slightly.

He snapped his head to the woman with wide eyes behind his glasses. A line of red stretched across his cheeks. “H-How long have you been st-standing there, Ireland!?”

She allowed a giggle to bubble past her lips as amusement sparkled in her green eyes.

Grinning, she walked up to him. “Not for very long.” she admitted. “That was beautiful, by the way, Roderich.”

A deeper blush appeared on his, but trying to play it off, Austria looked away with an embarrassed scowl. “Wha-What are you doing up? Its late.” he asked.

She shrugged idly, ignoring the blush on her cheeks—Ireland was a bit ashamed of her insomnia when sleeping over at other countries’ homes. “Couldn’t sleep.” she muttered.

He stared at her perplexed, which only made her blush harder. She cleared her throat and smiled widely. “Can you play another piece, please?” the petite woman sweetly inquired.

Austria made a face.

How was he supposed to refuse when she looked at him with that charming smile and big, hopeful eyes?

Well…he couldn’t.

Sighing deeply, the musician shook his dark-haired head in defeat. “All right. Just one.” he said. “Then, go to bed.”

“Okidokie!” Ireland beamed before settling herself right down beside him on the bench.

He blushed slightly at her close proximity, but tried his best to ignore it and hovered his hands over the piano’s keys.

Soon, he was playing again.

Ireland smiled. The song was so soft and pure; it was almost like a lullaby.

And shortly, he was finished.

He exhaled and opened his eyes. He turned to his right to scold only to stop and blink in surprise.

Ireland was fast asleep, using his shoulder as a pillow—when had that happened and why hadn’t he felt it? On her freckled face was a peaceful smile.

Austria’s face became flushed. Nonetheless, a ghost became present on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lullabies aren't just for babies.